Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 10 of 198 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

couldn't watch it - will never watch it ---too much sad stuff for me. I'm not strong enough to take it. I'd like to keep the good memories in tact and not have a memory about the "after".

I know, it sounds dramatic - but the place meant a lot to me - memories as a kid going with Dad - and later as a teen, loving the sights and sounds of the place - and later as an adult, escaping the 'world' by taking in a game....and just remembering. Not that you can see me, but my sleeve has a part in the movie 61* - I don't think I missed a day of filming - got a baseball signed by Billy Crystal, and a picture taken with Barry Pepper. Loved being "hall monitor" for the extras and camera people who needed a tour guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I know, it sounds dramatic - but the place meant a lot to me - memories as a kid going with Dad - and later as a teen, loving the sights and sounds of the place - and later as an adult, escaping the 'world' by taking in a game....and just remembering. Not that you can see me, but my sleeve has a part in the movie 61* - I don't think I missed a day of filming - got a baseball signed by Billy Crystal, and a picture taken with Barry Pepper. Loved being "hall monitor" for the extras and camera people who needed a tour guide!

No need to explain cfg, Tiger Stadium holds a special place in all of our hearts to quote Terrance Mann "The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. "

Some people like to think of these memories like a basment full of our childhood crap sitting in our parents basements which prevent us from moving on. Others believe those memories are ones to be cherished and shared with others, it's all a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    That was YOUR sleeve, Cfg? If I'd have known that, I would have asked for your autograph.

Thanks, Z - You understand perfectly. I do have a lot of Crap from those days - but I'd trade it all for one more game.... Betty and I were interviewed by Mary Conway on the 12:00 news that last day - and we had her crying.

I was there the night they shut the bleachers down because people kept throwing stuff off the upper deck on to the field. I think it was 1975 or 76

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I was there the night they shut the bleachers down because people kept throwing stuff off the upper deck on to the field. I think it was 1975 or 76

Ahh the good ole' days when the Bleacher Creatures were alive and well

Great memory, J. Sat in the bleachers a quite a few times myself back in the day. The tickets were $1.00 and later $2.00 and you're in the park. Throw in a beach ball on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and it don't get much funner than that.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Great memory, J. Sat in the bleachers a quite a few times myself back in the day. The tickets were $1.00 and later $2.00 and you're in the park. Throw in a beach ball on a sunny Sunday afternoon, and it don't get much funner than that.

I used to hear rumors that hooligans would sometimes try to smoke that eveil weed marijuana up in the bleachers during some of those games too.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I used to hear rumors that hooligans would sometimes try to smoke that eveil weed marijuana up in the bleachers during some of those games too.
    Horrors! Shame on them. How could anyone do that?

A couple of shots of the gang on October 1, 1999, the second from last game at Michigan and Trumbull. What a night for a ballgame. I will remember that for a long time. They lost as I recall to the Royals, 9-5. Too bad , was hoping for a win.
    We even got to see the last Friday fireworks show.
    Attachment 1556

Attachment 1557

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I remember being infuriated the year that the city started tacking on a 25 cent surcharge to ticket sales. Before that a five dollar bill was good for a seat and four beers. After that I had to scrounge an extra quarter!

Those two summers, I was a bleacher creature more than a few times, and I can testify that there was some of that there evil marijahoochie shit being indulged in up in that there upper deck. Some guy fired one up down the row from us, and one of Detroit's Finest came up and grabbed his baggie of 'stuff'. The cop held it up over his head and emptied it onto the cement and then danced on it to grind it into unusability, to the cheers and moans of the crowd. It was hilarious. He didn't arrest the guy, just took a bow after his dance was over and then walked away.

Welcome home, EB. How was the trip? Pics?

Welcome home, EB. How was the trip? Pics?
    Not home yet. Rode 660 miles, 12 hours from NC to PA. I'm leaving the BMW here & bringing the VStrom rig home for my trip to the sidecar raly at Lake Tahoe on 6/14.

Will post pix on FB when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Not home yet. Rode 660 miles, 12 hours from NC to PA. I'm leaving the BMW here & bringing the VStrom rig home for my trip to the sidecar raly at Lake Tahoe on 6/14.

Will post pix on FB when I get home.
    Safe travels, my friend. Thanks for checking in.

Those have got to be your kids in the first pic, Mkap. If you hadn't said it was '99, I would have thought the boy was you.

JC - I guess I can't blame it on the milkman.

WOW - no kidding - there's no doubt who those kids belong to!

Welcome home EB - and I echo the thought - PICS?

Thanks CFG - JC! I will take that as a compliment!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    Thanks CFG - JC! I will take that as a compliment!?
    Nice pictures of you and your family, Mkap. Thanks for sharing.

Mk, but of course it's a compliment

Anyone else have photos at the Stadium?
    Z, maybe?
    Here's a couple more Circa 1983.
    Attachment 1558

Attachment 1559

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    Anyone else have photos at the Stadium?
    Z, maybe?
    Here's a couple more Circa 1983.
    Attachment 1558

Attachment 1559

I think I have a few more around the abode but the one's I have on that FB link has mostly the structure itself

Page 10 of 198 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 110 ... LastLast