Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 10 of 263 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    YES! Exactly!
    Thanks, CFG. Even if you're humoring me to get me to shut up about it, I feel better now.

Ok, Z, where does it say status? If I still have that youthful glow, and am not a senior yet - I want to know it! :-)
    You'll always be young in our eyes CFG Check your profile for your member status

Going to get my car out of the shop, so I'll see you all later. Don't talk about me while I'm gone.

TSomyak - I remember that store - that's where I got my first Beatles album! I can see the cover, but can't remember the name. I also remember the bin at Kresges where they had 45's for 10 and 20 cents. I still have some really old 45s from there [[yeah, like there are NEW 45s) anyway, don't know why I kept them, but you never know when you're in the mood for the 45 sound of Herman's Hermits!
    Can you show us how to do The Freddy?

I was hoping to find an old map for JC. No luck there, but I did find the following. I wonder how many, if ANY, original tenants are still there.

Original Eastland tenants, from the March 1958 edition of The Eastland Center News.

A.A.A. Bird Store
    Albert's, Inc.
    Alexander & Hornung, Inc.
    Appearance Shop
    Artiste Beauty Salon
    Awrey Bakeries, Inc.
    Baker's Shoes
    Barna Bee Children's Shop
    A.S. Beck Shoe Store
    George M. Beebe, Inc.
    Brothers Restaurant
    Brothers Carry-Out
    Chandler's Shoes
    Community Key Shop
    Corey's Jewel Box
    Cunningham Drug Stores
    Detroit Edison
    Detroit Vital Foods
    Dube's Barber Shop
    Eastland Flower & Plant Market
    Elliott Travel Service
    Emile Beauty Salon
    Englander Furniture Company
    Evelyn's Town & Country
    Fanny Farmer Candy
    Fintex Clothes
    Fruit-A-Rama
    Gugala Camera Shop
    Hartfield's
    Hot 'N' Kold Shops
    The J.L. Hudson Company
    The J.L. Hudson Pantry Shop
    Hughes & Hatcher
    Joli Beauty Salon
    Juliet Wearing Apparel
    Kay Corsetiere
    Kinney's Shoes
    Kitty Kelly Shops
    S.S. Kresge Company
    Kroger Company
    Macauley's Stationers
    Marianne Shops
    Marwil Book Store
    Maxwell's Toys
    McDevitt's
    Morley's Candies
    National Bank of Detroit
    Phillips Shoes
    Queen Cleaners
    Raimi's Curtains
    Robinson Furniture Company
    Russell Kelly Office Service
    Sallan Jewelers
    Schiller's Millinery
    Suzy Hats
    Thom McAn Shoe Store
    The Tie Rak
    United Shirt Distributors
    U.S. Post Office
    Van Horn's Men's Wear
    Winkelman's

What comes after senior status?

Houston-Whittier Sanders made the best cherry vanilla sundaes with cherry sauce and cherries on top with a large glass of milk ... ever. I had enough of them on my lunch breaks from Kresge's to know.

This is kind of cool as well, an early concept of Eastland:

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=88

Interesting they list Kitty Kelly in Eastland, for as long as I can remeber it was across the sreet on 8 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Eastland was enclosed in 1975.
    I still can't place a Kroger store. Was it stand alone, or was it in the mall?
    By 'in the mall' I mean connected to the other stores.
    JC: Let's take a trip down memory lane. The year is 1970. You're standing by the hippo. Eastland is still an outdoors shopping center. You are heading west [[toward Kelly road) and about to enter a building that contains several shops including the Kroger building. As you enter the building you'll find the Alexander and Horning butcher shop on your right, to your left is the AAA pet shop. Continue down the hall and you'll find a record shop and a travel store and many other small shops. You'll finally end up at the Kroger store on the very west end Eastland. If you go left [[toward the NDHS side of the parking lot) you'll notice Hot Sams at the very end. Across from Hot Sams is of course Kroger. There was a drive up delivery service available on the southside [[NDHS side) which at the time seemed so futuristic. Kroger would load your bags into a cart put them on a rollers and your bags would be ready when you drove up. Some one had mentioned before that the Kroger that was in the Calcaterra Funeral Home location was the one that moved into the Eastland location.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Interesting they list Kitty Kelly in Eastland, for as long as I can remeber it was across the sreet on 8 mile.
    Your timing is incredible. I just saw this pic of Kitty Kelly:

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    This is kind of cool as well, an early concept of Eastland:

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=88
    Very cool site. I wonder why they nixed it, it looked like a great plan

Was one of them Morreale?
    That's the one, it was on the north side of the Civic theater, on the corner if I remember right. I think Grinnell's was on the southern side of the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Your timing is incredible. I just saw this pic of Kitty Kelly:

pic didn't post

JC: Behind the man and the hippo is the south side parking lot. Walk around the building [[ND side) and you'll eventually end up on the south side of Kroger where curb side loading of groceries was available. On the left side of the picture just out of view was the WWJ auxilliary broadcasting station adjacent to the garden center. Bob Allison [[Bowling for Dollars host and Milky the Clown's delivery man) broadcasted from there.

pic didn't post
    Kitty Kelly retry:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...art=1;resnum=8

Hmm, seem to be having problems here. If I post a link by simply cutting and pasting the text inline, I get a link like the one in post #240. If I use the "Insert Pic" button and paste the url, it doesn't work, a la post #235. Any one else seeing this?

Also, I see that when I look at this site with Windows Explorer, images show up as images. When I look at this site with Firefox, I only see links, and I have to click and be redirected to a seperate page for the pic. Is anyone else seeing this???

Well, it appears I've got pic posting figured out. The Kitty Kelly pic was a link to a webpage at WSU, it was not the .jpg file itself, that's why the post #235 did not work.

Now it I can only figure out why Firefox won't post pics inline....

Well, to answer my own question again, if you cannot see the pics inline, go to User CP, then Edit Options, and then click on the following to enable/disable what is shown in the thread. I didn't have any of these checked. Why the images were showing up in Explorer with this unchecked is a bit of a mystery, but they both seem to be working now.

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
    Show Signatures
    Show Avatars
    Show Images [[including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

Here's shot of Eastland from the 50"s. I think the Kroger was to the left, out of this shot unfortunately. From the view point of the photographer, you are looking toward 8 Mile. On the rights is Meyer Jewelery and past that is the Cunningham's. Remember you used to be able to walk through Cunningham's and come out on the other side of the cluster of shops. I think if you kept walking past Cunningham's you would find the Nut House.

I always thought that the grocery store was a Great Scott. Nearby was a Detroit Edison store where you could bring in your burnt out bulbs and get new ones.
    Notice the 2 Regina girls in this picture...must've just got out of school and are headed for Hudson's!

When Bonaldi's at 8 Mile & Kelly was closing and trying to sell off everything, I went in there to see what bargains I could find. Found these old postcards of Eastland Mall.

Here's another one of the Kitty Kelly Bridal shop.

And here's one more. In this one you can see Kresge's and also Barnaby Clothes.
    Barnaby's was a children's clothing store. We never shopped there, as my mom used to say, that store was for "rich" people.
    Judging by the cars, I'd say this was sometime in the 50's.

Too bad they weren't serving pancakes, soup, bread or spaghetti when we were at SJ last Saturday. Ever try coffee and donuts after the Masses, Cfg? Veggie trays, cheese and crackers, punch and lemonaid are also great for that fellowship time.

Bonaldi's Italian Imports, SJJ?

They're still in business on Garfield Road out in Clinton Twp. I think.

Just checked my DY status. I see mine improved too ... up to "peon" from "pissant".

TS, wasn't Spiegel's in there too, along with some fancy restaurant named Stoffers on the Beaconsfield side?
    Last edited by 7andkelly; April-07-09 at 08:14 PM.

Page 10 of 263 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 110 ... LastLast