Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 198 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia

I misspelled the title on the other thread I created so please use this one and let the other one fall off the board. Thanks
    Last edited by Lowell; April-30-09 at 12:25 PM.

Did anyone know that the old Guardian Angels school is the St. Jude Home for Boys? I was searching for Mayfield St. and found an entry for it.

so, how is it they still have a school there and we lost ours?

It's part of something called Wolverine Human Services. I just thought it was interesting that it's called St. Jude's. Here's a link to their company info.
    http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_8jccmm

This is a test of the National Broadcasting System. If this had been an actual emergency.....

Welcome to the dark side.

Default First Login

Just got approved. First post

I'm with you CFG.
    First post here.

Welcome aboard. It looks weird, doesn't it?

Can you see my entire profile when I post?

It looks really weird and will take some getting used to. I know, I know, into the future, but the old way was ALOT easier to post and follow!

You're right CFG. Like the old style so much better. Too much extra stuff. Templates need to be simplier.

If you go to the upper right hand corner of this page, under where it says 'How To's', you should see a little box that says 'Welcome <username>. This is where you receive private messages and friend requests. If you friend someone, they can see your profile.

What's the difference between a member and junior member under one's profile?

Thanks J -
    I will need to work on this - maybe this weekend - to get you guys all "friended" up!

New cite, very cumbersome to use

Here is part of the response from LG [[SJS class of 47) regarding the inquiry of what high schools did most of the SJ students attend in the 40s and early 50s:

Our holiday was great. Hope yours was special too. Happy New Year to you and yours. All I can tell you is that several went to Dominican as I did. My sister-in-laws went to St. Anthony. Some cousins went to Austin but I have no statistics to share, sorry. What kind of history are you trying to compile? If I can help more let me know.

If you go to the 'Quick Links' drop down at the top of the page, you can see who's online, what's been posted today, if you have any new messages and some other handy stuff.
    I just wish that there was a way to lock that menu bar in place.

KR, we need you to go to the old thread and close it out. Z had the idea that you should have that honor, and EB seconded.

Ok all fellow St. Judians...Our most recent conversations have centered around the Tigers and Tiger Stadium. On that note........
    TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: What is your most memorable, most cherished, unforgetable moment/game at Tiger Stadium. I'm sure most of us can cite many but if possible report the number one event.

I guess I'll start

1968, Tigers. vs. Orioles..my dad and I sitting in left field decided to walk around and grab some refreshments. We stopped at the concorse right behind home plate to catch the action on the field. At that moment the Orioles had runners on 1st and 2nd...Denny McClain delivered a fast ball which was lined right back to his glove side [[It happened so fast it took him a second to realize the ball landed in his glove.). Runners were going.....McClain, made a quick throw to second, relay back to first....TRIPLE PLAY. An old timer was standing on the other side of my dad. After the triple play he looked right at me and said. "I've been coming to this ball park for over 50 years and never seen a triple play till now and you ain't ever gonna see one again" He had been at that park when it was Navin Field and seen all the greats including Ty Cobb, Heilmann and all the greats from other teams including Babe Ruth. I'll never forget the cigarette hanging from his mouth, his piercing eyes,and the sense of seriousness in reporting his story. I've passed that story on to my kids. Interestingly, my son saw a triple play at Tiger Stadium in the late 90s. It was at a game that I almost went to with him......It was fate...The old timer perhaps was right.....never did see another triple play.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Ok all fellow St. Judians...Our most recent conversations have centered around the Tigers and Tiger Stadium. On that note........
    TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: What is your most memorable, most cherished, unforgetable moment/game at Tiger Stadium. I'm sure most of us can cite many but if possible report the number one event.

I guess I'll start

1968, Tigers. vs. Orioles..my dad and I sitting in left field decided to walk around and grab some refreshments. We stopped at the concorse right behind home plate to catch the action on the field. At that moment the Orioles had runners on 1st and 2nd...Denny McClain delivered a fast ball which was lined right back to his glove side [[It happened so fast it took him a second to realize the ball landed in his glove.). Runners were going.....McClain, made a quick throw to second, relay back to first....TRIPLE PLAY. An old timer was standing on the other side of my dad. After the triple play he looked right at me and said. "I've been coming to this ball park for over 50 years and never seen a triple play till now and you ain't ever gonna see one again" He had been at that park when it was Navin Field and seen all the greats including Ty Cobb, Heilmann and all the greats from other teams including Babe Ruth. I'll never forget the cigarette hanging from his mouth, his piercing eyes,and the sense of seriousness in reporting his story. I've passed that story on to my kids. Interestingly, my son saw a triple play at Tiger Stadium in the late 90s. It was at a game that I almost went to with him......It was fate...The old timer perhaps was right.....never did see another triple play.
    See earlier post for my memorable moments at TS.

Nice story of the triple play, KR. I was at home listening to the WJR broadcast of that game on my transistor radio from Olsen Electronic's, when I heard the word's "triple play", and I could hardly believe it, and to top it off, my nine volt conked out right then, and it took about a minute for our tube radio to warm up so I could find out if I had heard it right.

Denny McClain used to be a hero to that 10 year old kid. Boy was he sadly mistaken and disappointed.

This is what I see when clicking on your name:
    Campfire Girl

Send Message User Lists Last Activity: Today 10:34 AM
    Current Activity: Replying to Thread St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia
    User Lists
    Add to Friends List
    Remove from Contacts
    Add to Ignore List
    Send a Message to Campfire Girl
    Send a private message to Campfire Girl

StatisticsFriends» Statistics
    Total Posts
    Total Posts: 3
    Posts Per Day: 1.73
    Find all posts by Campfire Girl
    Find all threads started by Campfire Girl
    Blog
    Total Entries: 0
    Last Blog Entry: Never
    View all blog entries by Campfire Girl

The St. Jude Playfield Sign, less graffiti of course!
    Last edited by Mkap; May-18-09 at 08:07 AM.

Can't wait for the class picnic at Heilmann next week. I get to show off my new glove from Epps. Hope somebody brings a new ball cause' mine from last year has tape on it and is out of round! I guess I will have to search one of the ballfields at Heilmann after a practice to see if I can scrounge one up.

My son entered a short film festival contest. They were given the title " The Last Time We Met " to work with by the festival. He and his roommate put together this three minute piece. Hope you enjoy it! And please pass it on if you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9mE...e=channel_page
    Last edited by Mkap; May-18-09 at 08:09 AM.

Page 1 of 198 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 101 ... LastLast