Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 202 of 263 FirstFirst ... 102 152 192 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 212 252 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,050 of 6559

We had the Cole, Bradley, Dugan, Weiss, Roach, Olcese, Mazzolla, D'aost, and Badowski families who went to SJS.
    I think the Arsenault, Dych, and Hendrix families were Catholic but went to Burbank/Denby

going a few blocks either way, we had Swaney, Kocis, Olynzock, Langer, Short, Roehl, Sun, Monte, and a couple of others I can't place. Getting too old to remember how to divide the SJS or the Denby families.

thanks All - some wonderful families that I remember very well! With all the kids in each family, I'm sure we all remember going to SJ or having a sibling in the same class, with someone in each of those families

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Father Ording was still pastor until 1970, and we were in the upstairs of the gym for 6th grade, so that would be 1968? I don't know if the classrooms were used after we moved to the school for 7th grade or not?
    Our street was 100% SJ - Wolfs, Bushons, Kulkas, Bulgarellis
    Thinking of those two rooms. I know for a fact that in 1971, the Boy Scouts met up in one of the rooms, there were no desks, but some chairs and tables for meetings. Same with the smaller room on the east side of the gym. Yes, Fr. Villerot was pastor in 1971 - he was on my class pic. Looks like it was 69-70 when they weren't classrooms anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    .... The rest went to Carlton. Not sure if Dan Castelli went to SJS or not.
    I remember a Paul Castelli who was in my fifth grade class in the '71-72 year, my last year at Carleton. Wonder if he was related to this Dan?

Thinking of those two rooms. I know for a fact that in 1971, the Boy Scouts met up in one of the rooms, there were no desks, but some chairs and tables for meetings. Same with the smaller room on the east side of the gym. Yes, Fr. Villerot was pastor in 1971 - he was on my class pic. Looks like it was 69-70 when they weren't classrooms anymore.
    The 4 upstairs rooms were classrooms with the exception of the southwest room [[front/school side) which was used a a band practice/music lesson room in the early/mid 60s. In the fall of 1964 even the stage was used temporarily as a classroom because the 6 room addition of the school on the Maddelein street side wasn't quite ready.

We had Shaheen, Vigneau, Vandewyngearde, Aubrey, Gallas, Carion, Garavaglia, Jarzombeck. Those were just the kids at SJS during the 60s era...a few more [[per graduation pics) from the 40s/50s.... very few that were parishioners and went to Detroit Schools. In fact, most of the households on Eastwood between Kelly and Morang were [[My estimate 60-70%) were SJ parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    The 4 upstairs rooms were classrooms with the exception of the southwest room [[front/school side) which was used a a band practice/music lesson room in the early/mid 60s. In the fall of 1964 even the stage was used temporarily as a classroom because the 6 room addition of the school on the Maddelein street side wasn't quite ready.
    The stage was also used as a classroom in Spring '65 when the ceiling caved in our 3rd grade classroom.
    In 67-68, the two classrooms on the Seven Mile side of the gym were sixth grade rooms with Mr. MacAdams and Sr. Paul Therese teaching. It was cool to be away from the rest of the kids. Z and I had Paul Therese, and CFG had MacAdams.

Rossini, had the families of: Kost, Wojcik, Fortunato, Lovati, Gies, Renaud,
    Pacella, Dennis, and probably a few I have forgotten.

Question. How many of your families moved to the area because of the Parish of St. Jude? Or were they happenstance moves, or other reasons, and just settled into the Parish?

Liberal between Kelly and Redmond had Dueweke, Alef, Mette, Godmaire, Lukowski, Ortiz, Kraft, Devolder, Bialk, Belcastro, Kennan, Oliveri, Dickson, Devolder[[cousins of the others) Lipke.

Non St. Jude -Wodartz, Kangas, Stepp, Kloock,Cammarata,Jacobs

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post

Question. How many of your families moved to the area because of the Parish of St. Jude? Or were they happenstance moves, or other reasons, and just settled into the Parish?
    My family was there pre-SJS. They moved in in 1941.

Thanks for posting his name Mkap, I've been wracking my brain for a while now trying to remember his name, I could picture this guy that used to hang with you and Schmitty and Chevy and just didn't know how to frame him to ask about it, but he's the one I've been thinking of. He used to bowl too right? Dave is his first name?
    Last edited by zitro; July-02-10 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    We had Shaheen, Vigneau, Vandewyngearde, Aubrey, Gallas, Carion, Garavaglia, Jarzombeck. Those were just the kids at SJS during the 60s era...a few more [[per graduation pics) from the 40s/50s.... very few that were parishioners and went to Detroit Schools. In fact, most of the households on Eastwood between Kelly and Morang were [[My estimate 60-70%) were SJ parishioners.
    Ah, yes. And 7_and_kelly_kid among these ... may God rest his dear soul. I remember his cool slot car set set up in their two-car garage back in the day, and his significant contributions to the east side threads out here on DY to include Morang, Heilmann, Eastwood, Denby and SJ Nostalgia among others, and the joy/peace he found in reconnecting in a personal way with the St. Jude Parish community.

Karl, Bass, Iaquinta, added to this list.

Speaking of slot cars, wasn't there a slot car place somewhere up on Kelly? My brother used to go there as an adult, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Speaking of slot cars, wasn't there a slot car place somewhere up on Kelly? My brother used to go there as an adult, I think.
    Don't know about Kelly, but there was one on Morang between the Terrace and the party store, across from Det Bank and Trust.

My father had a duplex on Morang before he married. From my understanding there were a lot of duplexes built during the war and just post war because there was material shortages [[they didn't use copper plumbing)and labor shortages to build the bigger and fully bricked homes that were there during the late 30s and very early 40s . The population of Detroit in the early 50s was probably at it highest and suburban sprawl was in its infancy. St. Jude is located on the very fringe of northeast Detroit/Harperwoods. My father was raised an eastsider. The natural migratory patterns in those days [[and even now) was that eastsiders move out further in the eastside or to the east side suburbs....one would not cross over to the west side. My father was also a city employee and at that time residency requirements were enforced. So in that regard it was mere happenstance, due to the availabilty of housing of the east side he ended up there. I don't think St. Jude trumped Assumption Grotto, Guardian Angels, St. Raymond. etc. HOWEVER when it came time to move in the fall of 1959[[the duplex only had two small upstairs bedrooms and there was only on small batrhroom upstairs) due to a growing family the decision to stay in that area was definetly due to St. Jude Parish and school. In fact, he bought that particular house [[on Eastwood) not only for the room but due to its closer location to SJS. In 1959 the school was probably at its peak and the "new" church was just built, Eastland had just opened... St. Jude Parish was THE place to live, worship, and/or go to school.

My Dad was from downriver, but when he joined the DPD, he was posted in eastside precincts. They first lived down off the Blvd, and then a little further east in the Warren/St. Jean/Mack area. He too was bound by residency requirements and judging by the number of police and firemen that moved to our hood, that upper NE corner was the place to be as far from the action as possible.
    Regarding the brick/copper construction during and after WWII, I think that's why most of the houses right around SJ on the north side of 7 were asbestos sided and are now aluminum sided. They were largely built during and just post war.

Don't know about Kelly, but there was one on Morang between the Terrace and the party store, across from Det Bank and Trust.
    Still have my HO slot car set. It's mostly Tyco, but I have some Aurora cars, and I think the track railings might be Aurora too. Set it up a few years ago when my son was younger. Found some extra track and car parts at a pool store on Van Dyke in Centerline at that time. When I was a kid, Joe's Hobby Shop on 10 Mile betwixt Gratiot and Kelly was the place to go for that, and some place on Woodward [[Hobby Lobby?)

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Still have my HO slot car set. It's mostly Tyco, but I have some Aurora cars, and I think the track railings might be Aurora too. Set it up a few years ago when my son was younger. Found some extra track and car parts at a pool store on Van Dyke in Centerline at that time. When I was a kid, Joe's Hobby Shop on 10 Mile betwixt Gratiot and Kelly was the place to go for that, and some place on Woodward [[Hobby Lobby?)
    I think my brother went to Joe's Hobby on 10 Mile. He was the neverending kid. He was in his mid-20's when he was running those. And gas powered model airplanes and twin engine go-karts.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I think my brother went to Joe's Hobby on 10 Mile. He was the neverending kid. He was in his mid-20's when he was running those. And gas powered model airplanes and twin engine go-karts.
    Reminds me of the airplane kit my son had. It propelled from compressed air from the air pump that came with it. Crazy thing flew straight a full block over a house and some trees.

My older brother was into slot cars in a BIG way. I remember two places, the one on Morang that was previously mentioned, and another on Kelly. I want to say the one on Kelly was maybe in the block or two north of Merit Drugs?

I remember going there with him when I was about six. I was fascinated by the controllers. which had the same two prong plugs that you would plug into the AC outlet on the wall. I remember once at home getting his slot car out, placing it on my bed, and then plugging the controller into the wall outlet. There was a LOT of smoke, but fortunately the house did NOT burn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    My older brother was into slot cars in a BIG way. I remember two places, the one on Morang that was previously mentioned, and another on Kelly. I want to say the one on Kelly was maybe in the block or two north of Merit Drugs?

I remember going there with him when I was about six. I was fascinated by the controllers. which had the same two prong plugs that you would plug into the AC outlet on the wall. I remember once at home getting his slot car out, placing it on my bed, and then plugging the controller into the wall outlet. There was a LOT of smoke, but fortunately the house did NOT burn down.
    LMAO! There's something about electricity that seems to make us want to experiment.

Sadly, TS - there's always some excitement in the hood lately! Good thing there's the "Good News" in the hood too - and that's St. Jude, where we'll be having our annual block party next Sunday. Have to keep things in balance out there! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    The 1st house I bought after I got married in '66 was 12444 Riad.