Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 228 of 263 FirstFirst ... 128 178 218 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 238 ... LastLast
Results 5,676 to 5,700 of 6559

They used to decorate the church for holidays at the church we moved to in Allenton.

We have great fun inviting all parishioners to join us in decorating the church. it never looks the same way twice, and everyone gets to feel like they've contributed their special touch to the final "look"!

muskie1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Hydroplane races. The Gold Cups. I remember going to them a few times, especially as a teen. Sat on a rock in the river and felt the boats go by. It was so cool.
    They still are a bast. This year was my 40th year going,nothing like the old days when they would attract over 500,000 people. You can still go view for free at Belle Isle or pay at one of the parks along the river.

The Christmas memory that jumped out at me was singing in the choir at high mass on Christmas morning in the "old church" i.e. the gym. We wore red yokes over our black choir robes - only at Christmas time.

I don't remember Christmas masses in the gym, but remember the seemingly endless procession of our choir down the main aisle. Where there pews set up on/near the main altar where the choir sang/sat? I don't remember where they went, once they processed up the aisle!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I don't remember Christmas masses in the gym, but remember the seemingly endless procession of our choir down the main aisle. Where there pews set up on/near the main altar where the choir sang/sat? I don't remember where they went, once they processed up the aisle!
    They went back down the side aisles and up into the choir loft, I think

that's kinda what I was remembering, but then I remembered them at the altar for some reason. Z?

That's what I recall too JC. The crucifix holder, with white gloves, leading the way. There was someone swinging a censer. The choir, If recall correctly, was arranged by height [[Z, verify this). The choir proceeded up the center aisle then down the west side aisle. All of this occurred way before the current majestic pipe organ or even the axillary organ [[placed behind the altar) were in existence. The original electric organ though had a majestic, booming quality about it. Looking back, St. Jude parishioners were at that time experiencing something very special during High Mass, and of course during the Christmas season.

Best St. Jude Christmas memories:

Attending Mass with the whole family [[bless your souls, Mom and Dad).

The Nativity outside.

Singing the Christmas songs in church and at school.

Christmas vacation from school.

Absolutely KR - Attending Mass as a family was the best - we still do - and still at St. Jude, but Mom and Dad are there with us spiritually instead of physically. We're starting a new tradition this year with everyone asked to bring in a poinsettia or two in memory of a family member to help decorate the church. Since St. Jude is our home , we'll all be taking part in the decoration. A wonderful new tradition!

Absolutely KR - Attending Mass as a family was the best - we still do - and still at St. Jude, but Mom and Dad are there with us spiritually instead of physically. We're starting a new tradition this year with everyone asked to bring in a poinsettia or two in memory of a family member to help decorate the church. Since St. Jude is our home , we'll all be taking part in the decoration. A wonderful new tradition!
    Have a date for us CFG?

Sure - Sunday, December 19th! after the 10am Mass, we'll do the blessing of the crib outside the church, then come back inside and start decorating! All are welcome!

JC is right on this one, we ended up in the loft

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    That's what I recall too JC. The crucifix holder, with white gloves, leading the way. There was someone swinging a censer. The choir, If recall correctly, was arranged by height [[Z, verify this). The choir proceeded up the center aisle then down the west side aisle. All of this occurred way before the current majestic pipe organ or even the axillary organ [[placed behind the altar) were in existence. The original electric organ though had a majestic, booming quality about it. Looking back, St. Jude parishioners were at that time experiencing something very special during High Mass, and of course during the Christmas season.
    First by section [[Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) and then by height

Z, how many men were in the choir while you were a member?

Z, what was your voice when you were out of the boy's choir. I think Dad sang Tenor most of the time. He had a beautiful clear voice. I miss it. Whenever I hear 'Ave Maria' I still cry.

I'll bet that song would still bring a tears to your eyes. I love to hear choirs singing and ours was the best.

I'll bet that song would still bring a tears to your eyes. I love to hear choirs singing and ours was the best.
    At the St. Jude Midnight Mass last year, M.S's daughter sang the Ave Marie.....still brings chills down my spine.....beautiful, simply beautiful.

Claire has truly got the voice of an angel!!!! No doubt - it brings chills down my spine remembering her singing as well! Hopefully, she will sing again this year. M.S. is no slouch in the singing dept. either. He cantored the 10:00 Mass a couple of weeks ago - awesome! Our little choir is small but Mighty!

Z, what was your voice when you were out of the boy's choir. I think Dad sang Tenor most of the time. He had a beautiful clear voice. I miss it. Whenever I hear 'Ave Maria' I still cry.
    Soprano from 3rd to 5th grade and Alto 6th through 8th. Bass in H.S

Z - were you in the choir all the way through HS - when did our choir officially "disband?"

oh yeah, as a ps - was Mr Schaffer always the choirmaster?

Z, how many men were in the choir while you were a member?
    This pic probably represents one of the highest men count, I can see roughly 23, give or take a couple.

oh yeah, as a ps - was Mr Schaffer always the choirmaster?
    I believe Mr. Eck was the choirmaster before him

thanks, Z - The name, "Mr. Eck" sounds familiar, but I can't put a face to him, was he a teacher too? - it seemed like Mr. Schaffer was always the choirmaster.