Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 220 of 263 FirstFirst ... 120 170 210 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 230 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I sure do remember sitting in a church full of SJS students for Masses - kneeling straight, no figiting! Even if a classmate was one of the altar boys, it was such an honor to be serving the Mass, I don't ever remember anything but solemnity as we went up and knelt for Communion. Great memories.
    Yes, since we started the Novena's back at St. Jude, we do something special on the last day, his feastday. Last year we had a con-celebrated Mass with benediction, followed by a social gathering in the parish center. It seems like going to church 9 days in a row is an impossible task, especially with how long all of our "to do" lists are, but it seems the days fly by and it's the last day of the novena in no time! A joyous celebration, but then again, a sad feeling that the every day gathering is over. One time I was in Buffalo on business, and my sister called my cellphone from St. Jude, so even in NY, I could hear and be a part of the st. Jude novena for the 2 days I was away.
    I've heard stories that some of the choir boys when standing around the Communion rail with their arms folded under their surplices would ocassionally poke the guy next to him in the arm so it couldn't be detected by the rest of the congregation.

But I couldn't verify this

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Wasn't it Farm Maid? I remember mass being daily for some periods in the early grades as well, but I couldn't say which years or for how long a period.
    It was indeed Farm Maid [[cube container wih a tin foil sealed corner). Man, could that make quite an explosive pop sound when a shoe heal was applied properly to a resealed empty container. Little did we know we were mastering maximizing the use of space in classroom waste basket. I'm sure Frank appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    It was indeed Farm Maid [[cube container wih a tin foil sealed corner). Man, could that make quite an explosive pop sound when a shoe heal was applied properly to a resealed empty container. Little did we know we were mastering maximizing the use of space in classroom waste basket. I'm sure Frank appreciated it.
    Except, of course, when came time to scrub the dried milk drops off the floor and walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Wasn't it Farm Maid? I remember mass being daily for some periods in the early grades as well, but I couldn't say which years or for how long a period.
    Please tell me they still sell chocolate milk made with the same ingredients ... and where I can buy some!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Please tell me they still sell chocolate milk made with the same ingredients ... and where I can buy some!!!
    and don't forget the dixie straws [[Pssst, keep this hush hush....you can bite off a piece of the paper dixie straw, put a pin in the end of the straw and twist the end [[use plenty of spit), bring in a larger plastic straw obtainable from Tastee Freeze, place the smaller straw with the pin in the larger plastic straw, and you have a powerful dart gun capable of taking someone's eye out from across the room......After a 20 minute lecture by the principal of the dangers of such a potential lethal weapon, the culprit never fessed up nor did anyone point a finger, not even the victims. The code of silence remained.

I think it was weekly Mass too, now that you all jogged my memory. Loved the reminder about popping the milk cartons. Mine always used to skid across the floor - a dud - was envious of the loud poppers!
    Zitro- choir boys, less than solemn and holy on the altar - I find that hard to believe!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Except, of course, when came time to scrub the dried milk drops off the floor and walls.
    I think my attemped "milk carton pops" were the cause of many work hours of wall/floor milk clean-ups! they always skidded on me!

I think my attemped "milk carton pops" were the cause of many work hours of wall/floor milk clean-ups! they always skidded on me!
    You needed:
    1. a well resealed empty carton
    2. a solid shoe heel
    3. a flat, well aimed downward stomp, with pleny of power and speed. Like anything else in life....practice, practice, practice. You can still do it!

thank you, KR, for the vote of confidence! I wish I could go home and practice, but the 1/2 gallon cartons may be a bit much - or - on the other hand, with a perfect stomp, you may hear the pop all the way to your house!

Or splosh if you forget that they're full.

If full, instant slip and slide ---okay, maybe not such a good plan. My 'glory days' of milk carton crushing have passed....but all the attempts brought back great memories!

Milk carton crushing was loud enough to be heard by a nun out in the hallway with the door closed, but lunch bag popping was at least as loud. I still often can't resist that urge.

I was never into milk carton crushing.

Lunch bag popping, on the other hand....

Milk carton crushing was loud enough to be heard by a nun out in the hallway with the door closed, but lunch bag popping was at least as loud. I still often can't resist that urge.
    Milk carton crushing and lunch bag popping in quick succession required creativity, talent, and of course practice.

and don't forget the dixie straws [[Pssst, keep this hush hush....you can bite off a piece of the paper dixie straw, put a pin in the end of the straw and twist the end [[use plenty of spit), bring in a larger plastic straw obtainable from Tastee Freeze, place the smaller straw with the pin in the larger plastic straw, and you have a powerful dart gun capable of taking someone's eye out from across the room......After a 20 minute lecture by the principal of the dangers of such a potential lethal weapon, the culprit never fessed up nor did anyone point a finger, not even the victims. The code of silence remained.
    Could this be called a weapon of Mass disruption?

Could this be called a weapon of Mass disruption?
    Let's take a straw poll and amass a few opinions.

A weapon of Mass disruption - no doubt! A pun even a nun would enjoy, quietly, of course! You wonder how much they actually saw, and let us get away with, before they actually brought the ruler down. You gotta know, we weren't as "under the radar' as we might have presumed - and we must have brought them to tears of laughter with our extra-curricular activities. The things we thought up - harmless as they were - to entertain our classmates, still makes me laugh. Tom K was a big one to entertain even the nuns with his impromtu stand-up routines.

A weapon of Mass disruption - no doubt! A pun even a nun would enjoy, quietly, of course! You wonder how much they actually saw, and let us get away with, before they actually brought the ruler down. You gotta know, we weren't as "under the radar' as we might have presumed - and we must have brought them to tears of laughter with our extra-curricular activities. The things we thought up - harmless as they were - to entertain our classmates, still makes me laugh. Tom K was a big one to entertain even the nuns with his impromtu stand-up routines.
    Great point! Given the class sizes, there were probably many shenanigans that had to be prioritized as to its likelihood of "mass" disruption.

Default ND Newsletter [[news of the NDHS campus)

http://www.ndpma.org/drupal/irish

The printed newsletter also included a blurb on the NDHS building.......

Major construction and refurbishment continued throughout the summer at the HW campus of the former NDHS. Work on both the interior and exteriorof the building, including new windows all the way around and masonry repairs, was being done in anticipation of Chandler Park Academy charter school opening in the fall of 2010, According to the Archdiocese of Detroit, CPA closed on the sale of the protperty May 13, and now will operate schools in the former Lutheran East, Regina and Notre Dame buildings.

http://www.ndpma.org/drupal/irish

The printed newsletter also included a blurb on the NDHS building.......

Major construction and refurbishment continued throughout the summer at the HW campus of the former NDHS. Work on both the interior and exteriorof the building, including new windows all the way around and masonry repairs, was being done in anticipation of Chandler Park Academy charter school opening in the fall of 2010, According to the Archdiocese of Detroit, CPA closed on the sale of the protperty May 13, and now will operate schools in the former Lutheran East, Regina and Notre Dame buildings.
    <Sigh....>

Heavy sigh - drove by there after 4:00 Mass this weekend and saw the changes.

Fourth Annual
    ST. JUDE NOVENA
    October 20th – October 28th
    Novena followed by Benediction Prayer Schedule
    Wednesday, 10/20 – 7:00 p.m. Mass followed by Novena and Benediction
    Thursday, 10/21 – 7:00 p.m.
    Friday, 10/22 – 7:00 p.m.
    Saturday, 10/23 – after the 4 p.m. Mass Sunday, 10/24 –after the 10 am. Mass
    Monday, 10/25 – 7:00 p.m.
    Tuesday, 10/26 – 7:00 p.m.
    Wednesday, 10/27 – 7:00 p.m.
    Thursday, 10/28 – 7:00 p.m. Mass followed by Novena and Benediction
    St. Jude Parish
    15889 E. Seven Mile Road
    Detroit, MI 48205
    313-527-0380
    During these troubled times, we turn to the Patron Saint of Hopeless cases, St. Jude
    Come pray with us and bring a friend.
    Secured Parking
    All are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    <Sigh....>
    I know. I was hoping for a complete teardown to make way for a family fun center with bowling, and a golf dome out back instead.

Well, at least our old schools will be used again. I sure wish someone would utilize our old grade school as a school of some sort. all those classrooms need to be alive again!

Hellooooo ---either everyone's on a trip to the Cider Mill with the Class today, or deep in homework.