Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 250 of 263 FirstFirst ... 150 200 240 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 260 ... LastLast
Results 6,226 to 6,250 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Hunting for Easter Eggs?
    Since this is a nostalgia thread...let's see
    ....circa 1960s
    walking to Queen of Apostles Church with Grandpa to get food blessed,
    remembering the looooong Good Friday vigil and Stations of the Cross yesterday [[had to stand up in the side aisle to get a seat)

Poll question: Does anyone remember the last time you had to stand in the aisles in church simply because there was no more room [[even behind the pillars)? I'm guessing around the late 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Since this is a nostalgia thread...let's see
    ....circa 1960s
    walking to Queen of Apostles Church with Grandpa to get food blessed,
    remembering the looooong Good Friday vigil and Stations of the Cross yesterday [[had to stand up in the side aisle to get a seat)

Poll question: Does anyone remember the last time you had to stand in the aisles in church simply because there was no more room [[even behind the pillars)? I'm guessing around the late 60s.
    Great memory, KR. Got our basket blessed today.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Hunting for Easter Eggs?
    You're going to have the wait. I just saw the Easter Bunny out by the road waving at cars.

I had to stand at 4:00 Christmas eve mass @ St. Edmunds about 15 years ago. Got there late, of course.

THE LORD HAS RISEN! Happy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    THE LORD HAS RISEN! Happy Easter
    And a Blessed Easter to you too

Well, the last time I saw folks standing by the pillars was on Sunday - St. Jude was PACKED!!! SRO --the church was decorated beautifully, the preaching was awesome and it was incredible to have so many enjoy our Parish!

Wish I could have joined you. I was standing at Sacred Heart in Bad Axe as well. Got to leave more time for the 25 mile drive to church.

Wish you could have been there too - I truly can't remember the last time the ushers had to walk the aisles and ask folks to move in a bit and then motion to someone in the back that they had found a seat! It was incredible! Is there a St. Columbkille [[sp) in Bad Axe - I remember going to a church there instead of St. Micheals in Pt. Austin one year.

St. Columbkille is in Ubly, MI on Van Dyke and south of Bad Axe.

Thanks! I knew I had remembered going to a church on VanDyke but thought it was in Bad Axe!

Ok, Trivia buffs, who was the first assistant pastor to Fr. Ording? It was in 1943

Beats me; I wasn't even an idea in Dad's head yet. There were still two more to come ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Ok, Trivia buffs, who was the first assistant pastor to Fr. Ording? It was in 1943
    Fr. DeSantis?

Close - only off by a decade. Fr. DeSantis came to St. Jude in 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Close - only off by a decade. Fr. DeSantis came to St. Jude in 1953
    I thought maybe I could find the answer in the parish history but didn't. One thing I never thought of before reading this again. Can you imagine this happening today with the inlfuence the ACLU has?

Fr. John Ording received his official canonical appointment to establish St. Jude Parish on July 8, 1941. This site for the parish had originally been situated at the corner of Kelly and Roscommon in Harper Woods, which was later exchanged for the present site on Seven Mile Road. The first official Sunday Mass, under the patronage of St. Jude the Apostle, was held at Denby High School on July 13, 1941 with 500 people in attendance. Groundbreaking for a combination four room school and church was held on November 27, 1941 with the cornerstone embedded on January 25, 1942. Denby's auditorium was utilized until June 14, 1942, when the first of St. Jude's buildings was opened and officially established for use.

Sadly, no, I can't imagine something like this happening today- and yet what a valuable and available resource it was for a newly created parish.

Actually, they still have church services in some of the school gyms up this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I thought maybe I could find the answer in the parish history but didn't. One thing I never thought of before reading this again. Can you imagine this happening today with the inlfuence the ACLU has?

Fr. John Ording received his official canonical appointment to establish St. Jude Parish on July 8, 1941. This site for the parish had originally been situated at the corner of Kelly and Roscommon in Harper Woods, which was later exchanged for the present site on Seven Mile Road. The first official Sunday Mass, under the patronage of St. Jude the Apostle, was held at Denby High School on July 13, 1941 with 500 people in attendance. Groundbreaking for a combination four room school and church was held on November 27, 1941 with the cornerstone embedded on January 25, 1942. Denby's auditorium was utilized until June 14, 1942, when the first of St. Jude's buildings was opened and officially established for use.

That's great - Maybe there's hope for us after all!

Answer: on June 16, 1943, Cardinal Mooney appointed the Rev. Charles J. Kraus as the first permanent assistant.

Don't remember him. We moved to St. Jude's in '49. Of course, I was only 5.

Trivia: Where is the cornerstone of St. Jude School [[that was embedded on Jan. 25, 1942)? Is it in front? Is it visible still?

More trivia: Where on Kelly and Roscommon was the first site of St. Jude?...north or south side of Roscommon? Was that considered a temporary site? Was the 7 Mile site already purchased and planned as the eventual Parish? Was the Kelly Rd. site just temporary housing [[Rectory) for Fr. Ording? Wasn't the first site a farm house? Are there any pictures of that house and/or the surrounding area in Harper Woods? If anyone has pictures of the surrounding area of Harper Woods, the 7 Mile Campus St. Jude and/or Heilmann Field [[before or during the missle site era)...It would be a great addition to the 70th anniversary program.

OK guys, got to get back on page 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    OK guys, got to get back on page 1.
    A great way to reconnect to St. Jude or just enjoy an afternoon of fantastic music is to attend today's [[May 1) Organ recital at St. Jude Church at 3 PM. See the Parish Website or St. Jude face book site for more details.