Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 155 of 263 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 165 205 255 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Part I, Article 12, III - "The Final Purification, or Purgatory"

1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed insured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned. The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire.
    [As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.]

1032 This teaching is also based on the practice of prayer for the dead, already mentioned in the Sacred Scripture: "Therefore [Judas Macabeus] made atonement for the dead, that they might be delivered from their sin". From the beginning the Church has honored the memory of the dead and offered prayers in suffrage for them, above all the Eucharistic sacrifice, so that, thus purified, they may attain the beatific vision of God. The Church also commends almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance undertaken on behalf on the dead:

[Let us help and commemorate them. If Job's sons were purified by their father's sacrifice, why would we doubt that our offerings for the dead bring them some consolation? Le us not hesitate to help those who have died and to offer our prayers for them.]
    One of the most lasting memories of religious education at St. Jude in the early grades by the Dominican sisters was conveyed with a coloring book. The road to Heaven was pictured as a rough crooked road and the road to hell was smooth leading to a carnival. Sinless = Heaven, venial sin = purgatory, mortal sin = hell. It was that simple. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    I knew the Jeziorski's way back when. Great food for sure.
    They sold a friend of mine an automatic potato peeler. At the time I had never heard anything like it. An automatic potato peeler. That was so cool. They took 50 lbs., put it in the machine and ended up with about 5 pounds of usable goods when the skins were finally off. They trashed it. No wonder they got it so cheap.
    A high school friend of mine worked at the Kelly Road Alinosi that matchbook advertises. He stated that Alinosi had the highest butterfat content [[17%) out of all the ice creams in the Detroit area, including Sanders at that time. There is still a sweet shop on Mack just north of Vernier that carries Alinosi ice creams and candy....worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did you two discuss that beforehand?
    I could see how this would look like a setup, but I swear it wasn't.

RIP Mr. Coffman

COFFMAN, ARCHIE L.
    COFFMAN ARCHIE L. Age 88. February 17, 2010. Beloved husband of Patricia. Loving father of Cindy [[Ed) Cohen, John [[Cathy), Mary [[Mike) Lavery-Flynn, Archie [[Herta), David, and Patti [[Jim) Mencotti. Dear grandfather of 12. Dearest great- grandfather of 15. Brother of Helen Baaso, Edith [[Richard) Schoenberg, and the late Hannah, Oliver, and Gordon. Visitation Friday 3-9 p.m. at the D.S. Temrowski & Sons Funeral Home, 30009 Hoover Rd at Common [[12 ½ mile). In state Saturday 9:00 a.m. at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church until the time of the Funeral Mass at 9:30 a.m. Burial with full Military Honors Monday 10:00 a.m. at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly. Memorial contributions may be made to Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Please share memories at www.Temrowski.com

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/o...23&fh_id=10103
    Last edited by zitro; February-19-10 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    As a matter of fact.
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T! Your killing me over here guy.

How about St. Petersburg........................................ ..................... Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did you two discuss that beforehand?
    No, no discussion beforehand but I think I MAY have him this time. See above.

I saw the comments about NDHS. I graduated from ND in 1963 when Omer St Onge was principal, so I recognized a lot of those teachers' names. Most of the names are French is because most of the priests had French-Canadian [[Quebecois) heritage. Even though they had Boston [[area) backgrounds. If any of the ND grads are interested, the "new" Notre Dame High School in Pontiac has "sort of" taken over for the old NDHS in Harper Woods. It has an alumni assoc. and gives out news about the old ND and reunions. An email address is: alumni@ndpma.org

Quote Originally Posted by Oldertimer View Post
    I saw the comments about NDHS. I graduated from ND in 1963 when Omer St Onge was principal, so I recognized a lot of those teachers' names. Most of the names are French is because most of the priests had French-Canadian [[Quebecois) heritage. Even though they had Boston [[area) backgrounds. If any of the ND grads are interested, the "new" Notre Dame High School in Pontiac has "sort of" taken over for the old NDHS in Harper Woods. It has an alumni assoc. and gives out news about the old ND and reunions. An email address is: alumni@ndpma.org
    http://www.notredame-hw.com/index.php
    Thanks for the notification. It's nice to see that there still ties to the original NDHS.

RIP Mr. Coffman

COFFMAN, ARCHIE L.
    COFFMAN ARCHIE L. Age 88. February 17, 2010. Beloved husband of Patricia. Loving father of Cindy [[Ed) Cohen, John [[Cathy), Mary [[Mike) Lavery-Flynn, Archie [[Herta), David, and Patti [[Jim) Mencotti. Dear grandfather of 12. Dearest great- grandfather of 15. Brother of Helen Baaso, Edith [[Richard) Schoenberg, and the late Hannah, Oliver, and Gordon. Visitation Friday 3-9 p.m. at the D.S. Temrowski & Sons Funeral Home, 30009 Hoover Rd at Common [[12 ½ mile). In state Saturday 9:00 a.m. at St. Martin de Porres Catholic Church until the time of the Funeral Mass at 9:30 a.m. Burial with full Military Honors Monday 10:00 a.m. at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly. Memorial contributions may be made to Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Please share memories at www.Temrowski.com

http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/o...23&fh_id=10103
    Mr. Coffman was one of St. Jude's first lectors post Vatican II when lay people were allowed on the altar. He frequently lectored at the Masses I attended. His readings were given flawlessly with dignity and passion. May he rest in peace.
    Last edited by kellyroad; February-19-10 at 11:52 AM.

I really hate to read that about Mr. Coffman - one of the nicest men anyone would ever meet. I remember him so good as one of the best lectors ever. David was in my class and the whole family was great to know. Rest in peace Mr. Coffman.

Cindy was a '58 classmate of mine. May he rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Cindy was a '58 classmate of mine. May he rest in peace.
    May God rest his dear soul.

All these great contributions, observations and photos! Wished I had collected and saved some tangibles along with my memories. That pagan baby cert is priceless--my classmates and I [[1960-1968) participated in this SPOF initiative all the way through to the 7th grade.
    My older brother [[by 14 years) remarks that he's STILL waiting for several feathered, Third-World chieftains to show up on his front porch to meet "Daddy." That pagan baby thing must have started during the early Cold War years. He recalls asking a Patronage of St. Joseph nun permission to name one of the girl babies Sapphire, after a female character on the "Amos n Andy" TV show. "THAT'S NOT A SAINT'S NAME, MR. MAN!"
    Speaking again of "mooching for the good of others," am I the only SJS student that swiped tulips out of other neighbors' gardens to adorn the classroom "May altars?" My parents didn't grow flowers, but the old man always had some nice tomato plants, staked in the front yard as well as the back.

Default St. Jude Church 1965 Photo

I've always like the photos my dad took of the church on a late Sunday afternoon during the winter months. The early evening glow from the setting sun really shows off its Romanesque architectural beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by bkd4life View Post
    All these great contributions, observations and photos! Wished I had collected and saved some tangibles along with my memories. That pagan baby cert is priceless--my classmates and I [[1960-1968) participated in this SPOF initiative all the way through to the 7th grade.
    My older brother [[by 14 years) remarks that he's STILL waiting for several feathered, Third-World chieftains to show up on his front porch to meet "Daddy." That pagan baby thing must have started during the early Cold War years. He recalls asking a Patronage of St. Joseph nun permission to name one of the girl babies Sapphire, after a female character on the "Amos n Andy" TV show. "THAT'S NOT A SAINT'S NAME, MR. MAN!"
    Speaking again of "mooching for the good of others," am I the only SJS student that swiped tulips out of other neighbors' gardens to adorn the classroom "May altars?" My parents didn't grow flowers, but the old man always had some nice tomato plants, staked in the front yard as well as the back.
    Where did your brother graduate from grade school? St. Jude?

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! Your killing me over here guy.

How about St. Petersburg........................................ ..................... Russia?
    Hah!, You got me there Mkap. Since most of my collection was purloined during the 70's I don't recall too much American travel to any Soviet Bloc nations during this timeframe

Speaking again of "mooching for the good of others," am I the only SJS student that swiped tulips out of other neighbors' gardens to adorn the classroom "May altars?"
    Tulips? No. Mooching vegetables and fruit from the yards of many for the good of myself? Guilty. Tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, chives, raspberries, currents, plums, cherries, peaches, pears ... I miss those alleys.

kellyroad:

My older brother and sister attended school at The Patronage of St. Joseph parish [[now gone) in the Harper/Van Dyke area. I think my brother finished grade school there. He attended Notre Dame HS and graduated in 1959. Went to his 50th reunion recently. The family moved to the State Fair/Crusade neighborhood [[a.k.a. the "green section" by the SJ parish tithing name) in early 1955. My brother and sister took a couple of DSR daily buses back to the old neighborhood to finish the '55 school year at Patronage. My older sister transferred to SJS, then attended Regina HS, graduating in 1963. I did the Burbank kindergarten thing, then a full eight years at SJS. Regina HS class of 1972.

Hah!, You got me there Mkap. Since most of my collection was purloined during the 70's I don't recall too much American travel to any Soviet Bloc nations during this timeframe
    You sure do have the collection. Good thing they're small or you'd need a polebarn to store them.

I hear ya Z. After the 70's, real life started. Wasn't trying to trip you up or anything, it might be easier to just tell us where you haven't been .
    Last edited by Mkap; February-20-10 at 10:33 AM.

kellyroad:
    By the way...nice photo of the Church. Does anyone recall the disabled young man who peddled newspapers on the church steps after Sunday Masses? Was he also an SJS student?

kellyroad:
    By the way...nice photo of the Church. Does anyone recall the disabled young man who peddled newspapers on the church steps after Sunday Masses? Was he also an SJS student?
    He was a neighbor of mine. His name was Melvin [[Bud) Godmire, I think he graduated class of 63'. His father was a district Freep manager

He was a neighbor of mine. His name was Melvin [[Bud) Godmire, I think he graduated class of 63'. His father was a district Freep manager
    Didn't he sell the papers from the back of a station wagon parked out in front? I picture the tailgate down, and maybe him sitting on that next to a stack of papers. The year, make, model and color of the vehicle escape me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Didn't he sell the papers from the back of a station wagon parked out in front? I picture the tailgate down, and maybe him sitting on that next to a stack of papers. The year, make, model and color of the vehicle escape me at the moment.
    I know is was tan, and I think it was a Fords LTD

I hear ya Z. After the 70's, real life started. Wasn't trying to trip you up or anything, it might be easier to just tell us where you haven't been .
    Well, I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma