Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 259 of 263 FirstFirst ... 159 209 249 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,475 of 6559

Geez, Jean - that's a "life" time story. No doubt, good old "Frank" would never be far from mind! - or nightmare! Glad your sister didn't marry that one! I wonder if he's met the "Most Wanted" poster yet.

I don't know what happened to him, nor do I want to. He's probably a serial killer by now.

I think that probably a good thing - not that he's probably a serial killer, but that you don't know what happened to him. What an incredibly horrific story to tell a kid just to get her out of the room!

And I was one of those nervous kids anyway; afraid of the dark, afraid to sleep alone. I was a real treat after this episode

You know, that surprises me that I never knew that. You were always so confident and self-assured!

Interesting, because I never felt confident or self-assured.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The reason I am so adamantly sure that Frank B was the janitor is because of the following, somewhat embarrassing story:
    When I was about 5 yrs old, my dad came home with a framed pen and ink portrait of Abraham Lincoln, which had hung in SJS for a number of years, and said 'They're doing some clean up at the school, and Frank down the street gave me this'. [[I think there was also a Washington pic too, but that doesn't figure in for this story). They hung it up downstairs above the chalkboard where I played school, and there is stayed. Well, one night, not too far down the road, my older sister and her boyfriend were in the basement, making out on the couch across for the chalk board and I came down to play. I wouldn't leave, thereby causing the boyfriend to tell me 'There is going to be a total eclipse soon [[I think this was in '62) and when it happens, Lincoln is going to come out of that picture and get you and drag you back in there with him and you'll never get out'. [[Yeah, nice guy; at least my sister didn't marry that one) I totally freaked out and ran screaming out of the basement and would not go back down there as long as that picture was on the wall. My dad told me he threw it out so it wouldn't get me so I would go back in the basement. Unfortunately, he hid it in a closet and I found it not too long afterward, and from that point on I did not go in the basement alone until I was about 14 yrs old. Someone had to either walk me down or stand at the top of the steps until I got the lights on and made sure everything was fine.
    I blamed poor Frank for giving that picture to my dad for a LONG time. And had an irrational fear of Lincoln for even longer. I still don't like looking at pictures of him in his stovepipe hat.
    Rod Serling could not have written a better piece. Your story would have made a great premise for either Night Gallery or The Twilight Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Rod Serling could not have written a better piece. Your story would have made a great premise for either Night Gallery or The Twilight Zone.

Reminds me of the big bellied heating unit in our basement I swore it was alive at times.

Thanks, KR. It FELT like Twilight Zone when I was going through it. I could tell you stories about the aftermath of that little incident, like the time I woke up and Ol' Abe was laying at the foot of my bed. [[it was in fact the black pants and white shirt I had worn the day before and thrown on my bed, with my socks making up his hat) or seeing his eyes follow me in that picture.
    Some things just stay with you, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Thanks, KR. It FELT like Twilight Zone when I was going through it. I could tell you stories about the aftermath of that little incident, like the time I woke up and Ol' Abe was laying at the foot of my bed. [[it was in fact the black pants and white shirt I had worn the day before and thrown on my bed, with my socks making up his hat) or seeing his eyes follow me in that picture.
    Some things just stay with you, ya know?
    Look in your purse....all your cash are now in five dollar bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    It was a Walter Gogolewski, for sure - don't remember the Bartilino. We did have a priest, Fr. Charles DeSantis from 1953- 1955
    Fr. Desantis was my favorite priest at SJS. Super guy! He was the one who brought my Dad into the Catholic church. Pa always called him "Fr. Charlie" - long before such familiarity was accepted.

Speaking of the fear Frank spread, wasn't the lie detector torture device located in his maintenance room?

And I'm pretty sure it was him who broke up our friendly game of rock throwing on the black top. Didn't he know those garbage can lid shields provided ample protection? Why did he have to yell?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Speaking of the fear Frank spread, wasn't the lie detector torture device located in his maintenance room?

And I'm pretty sure it was him who broke up our friendly game of rock throwing on the black top. Didn't he know those garbage can lid shields provided ample protection? Why did he have to yell?
    There were indeed many hooligans that disrespected church property back in the 60s and 70s. Thank goodness their tomfoolery was kept in check by the watchful eye of Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post

I can attest to the lie detector being in the basement as I was threatened in 2nd grade. I caved into the pressure from the threat.

15. Default

Dear St. Judians,

As part of an upcoming reorganization of DetroitYES, your long-running St. Jude Church/School Nostalgia thread has been moved to the Detroit Connections Forum. Connections is, as the forum subtopic states, "For relaxed discussions among DetroitYES forum members, sharing Detroit stories, not-for-profit announcements, making connections, call outs, and discussions about the forum," which is what you do as your thread has long ago evolved into a community gathering spot. So its proper home is here where it remains welcome.

Your thread and posts will not lose any of your visibility on the internet for those try to connect with you and a permanent redirect link will exists in the Discuss Detroit thread list.

What's the point of moving it if there's going to be a permanent redirect link in the main forum? The redirect link doesn't allow one to go to the last post directly, which is annoying. Will the redirect link move up and down the list of the main forum according to the time of the last post?

And furthermore, I don't think St. Judians is correct; shouldn't it be St. Juders?
    Last edited by Brock7; July-16-11 at 08:27 PM.

St. Judites?

Hey, Judes?

It should be Hey Jets! Looks like Lowell needs to be schooled in the finer parts of Detroit lore!

Wonder how many of our occasional posters will find us here in the hinterlands. Guess all we can do is stay near the top of the page here so if someone wanders over they'll see us.

If wander they do

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Wonder how many of our occasional posters will find us here in the hinterlands. Guess all we can do is stay near the top of the page here so if someone wanders over they'll see us.
    Keep hope alive!

Considering our patron Saint wouldn't that last statement be considered a double entendre?

No fun video here - But I wonder why they had the historic landing of the last shuttle at 5:15 am EST? Do we really want to watch all this stuff in the dark? While most people were asleep? Bad move NASA - at least we have re-runs to watch. Nice use of taxpayer dollars.

Wrong thread -