Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 247 of 263 FirstFirst ... 147 197 237 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 257 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,175 of 6559

Is it the old credit union?

It looks like the Calcaterra garage for their limos

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    It is indeed the old credit union, a Shell gas station at one time I believe. The photo was taken in May of 1961 when the widening of 7 Mile had just started. Opened an account there with 1st Communion money. From what I recall it was very primitive..cement floor, a few desks, and a safe. The Parish history states that the credit union was chartered in 1950 and began business in the school one day a week. Does anyone know when the credit union established itself in the Shell gas station?.......More trivia for our 70th anniversary

What's my prize KR? Can't believe after all these posts and trivia questions, I finally got one right!

What's my prize KR? Can't believe after all these posts and trivia questions, I finally got one right!
    You are awarded the awesome opportunity of coordinating the 70th anniversary festivities and trivia, being a fish fry organizer, and of course, last but not least, the bell tower restoration and maintenance overseer. If for any reason these prizes are insufficient please don't hesitate to express your feelings in that regard.

Good Job!!!! Give that girl a big blue star on her forehead!!!!! Ya know what really bugs me, too? She will probably get the rubber hot dog and nickle in the cupcake. Gees!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Good Job!!!! Give that girl a big blue star on her forehead!!!!! Ya know what really bugs me, too? She will probably get the rubber hot dog and nickle in the cupcake. Gees!!!!
    ....and a holy card, scapular medal [[blessed by the Pastor), and the whole class gets to sing her praises.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    ....and a holy card, scapular medal [[blessed by the Pastor), and the whole class gets to sing her praises.
    and, just to show she really is a nice principal, Sr. Leonita will pop for a .05 carton of chocolate milk!!!

and, just to show she really is a nice principal, Sr. Leonita will pop for a .05 carton of chocolate milk!!!
    ...and while the principal and teacher are gone, CFG will be given center stage as she attemps to loudly pop the tightly resealed milk carton with the heel of her saddle shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    ...and while the principal and teacher are gone, CFG will be given center stage as she attemps to loudly pop the tightly resealed milk carton with the heel of her saddle shoe.

did ya see what happened? she didn't hit it square, the carton slid, she fell, and Mr. Joseph busted her. HA HA HA

That's what I get for being a smart aleck! I sad to say, I can actually, see the shoe off the carton - carton flying down the hall, into the first nun walking by, smack in the forehead, chocolate milk streaming down the white forehead creaser and......then.....the Mr. Joseph reprimand!
    Can't wait to enjoy all my "PRIZES!"

caught us from going to page 2. I know it is Lent, and I have already gone to confession, but hey Jets, let's keep us from page 2. Talking about confession, to those of you who still are at St. Jude, do the kneelers in the confessionals still make the lights go red outside? Who remembers making them blink?

caught us from going to page 2. I know it is Lent, and I have already gone to confession, but hey Jets, let's keep us from page 2. Talking about confession, to those of you who still are at St. Jude, do the kneelers in the confessionals still make the lights go red outside? Who remembers making them blink?
    The kneeler lights and the stenciled lighted name plate above the priests' confessional are no longer there. Do you recall, especially during lent when all four priests were hearing confessions? Some of the priests had shorter waits and some of the "popular" priests would have waiting all the way across to the center aisle. Often times one never knew who was hearing confessions in the "visitor" confessional next to Fr. Ording.

No, no more kneeler lights - however, they still make the distinctive "click" when you kneel down. the 'signal' now, is an open door, or closed door. Since no one apparently sins anymore, confession is generally 'by appointment only' - so, so much for the animosity of the secret window. We still use the 'confessionals' as opposed to the old baptimal room which was originally intended as the confessional after the renovation. I'm not really sure how that was supposed to work.....but I digress.....The original confessionals, lights and names, are still in use at AG, and the lines for the popular priests are still long. :-)

Looking back, it is interesting that Fr. Ording had the confessional closest to the sacristy. It has been a long time since I was in the church, although I was in after the renovation. What is in the area of the altar to Mary? I can't remember if the altar was still there, and I am almost sure the pews were taken out. Also, by the altar to St. Joseph, what is in the old baptismal room? And, are the vigil lights still there by the St. Joseph altar? You really don't see those 2 altars in modern churches anymore.

Was going to come to the Fish Fry tonight, CFG, but I have to make a run to Saginaw, so maybe next week if all permits.
    Sorry

In our prayers J...Keep us posted
    Laing - Maybe Fr. Ordings confessional was also closest to the bathroom - coincidence??
    In the area where there was an altar to Mary - still stands a beautiful Mary statue with candles to be lit - same as before behind her along the wall - across from her is St. Joseph, also with the availability to light candles. there are chairs and kneelers by both altars. It is also along that wall that there are confessionals. I believe two can be used for confession with the others being used for candle supplies. The confessionals near the sacristy are used for the audio/lighting system equipment. The old Baptismal room has a free standing wall in the center, where a penitent can either kneel on one side for confession into the "window" - or go around the wall and sit face to face for confession. It has not been used for confession in a couple of years. Where the St. Joseph Altar resided, outside the old baptismal room is now the Cross which used to hang above the altar. Again, though there are no candles, a kneeler and a few chairs are provided in the alcove for quiet prayer.

We are fortunate to have both the altars to Mary and St. Joseph in addition to the St. Jude Chapel - where I spend a lot of time.

In our prayers J...Keep us posted
    Laing - Maybe Fr. Ordings confessional was also closest to the bathroom - coincidence??
    In the area where there was an altar to Mary - still stands a beautiful Mary statue with candles to be lit - same as before behind her along the wall - across from her is St. Joseph, also with the availability to light candles. there are chairs and kneelers by both altars. It is also along that wall that there are confessionals. I believe two can be used for confession with the others being used for candle supplies. The confessionals near the sacristy are used for the audio/lighting system equipment. The old Baptismal room has a free standing wall in the center, where a penitent can either kneel on one side for confession into the "window" - or go around the wall and sit face to face for confession. It has not been used for confession in a couple of years. Where the St. Joseph Altar resided, outside the old baptismal room is now the Cross which used to hang above the altar. Again, though there are no candles, a kneeler and a few chairs are provided in the alcove for quiet prayer.
    Thanks for the info. I do think the font and the "walk in" in the rear of the church looks good - that is the way so many of the new churches being built are being done now. Question, I always wondered how tall the crucifix which was suspended is. Never knew for sure since it was always way up there.
    And, when the 70th anniversary books are done, they will be sold on the web, right? Hope so - can't wait to get my hands on one.

I will give you the exact size of the crucifix tomorrow. tonight is Novena night and I'll take a measure - and yes, the books will be offered for sale after all masses, at the reunion event and through the mail.

Well the exact size of the cross - as far as I could reach with the tape measure - is about 5'x2'. As mentioned previously, it is now in the alcove where St. Joseph used to be - at the entrance to the confession/reconciliation room

Well the exact size of the cross - as far as I could reach with the tape measure - is about 5'x2'. As mentioned previously, it is now in the alcove where St. Joseph used to be - at the entrance to the confession/reconciliation room
    Thanks CFG, I always thought it was closer to life size.

I know - it's surprising when you measure up close. I would have thought the same. I think that the height at which it hung, and the awesome sight of seeing it suspended above the altar, added to it's perceived size.

Is that the original one that was there when we were kids? Does it have the Jesus on it or is it just the cross?
    I remember that thing being huge.

It IS the original crucifix, so yes, Jesus is hanging on it. In looking at old pictures, it DOES look huge, but I think that's because it was suspended high above the altar. I have a picture here of the old altar, though it's not good enough quality to scan, and though it looks huge, in relation to the tabernacle below, and the size of the altar, it puts the size in perspective.