Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 215 of 263 FirstFirst ... 115 165 205 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 225 ... LastLast
Results 5,351 to 5,375 of 6559

KR - I'm trying - heavy on the trying - to up-date our St. Jude website. Inaugural stages at this point and hopefully, we'll be able to add a lot more to that page. I wish I could help with the Facebook site, but you have more experience with that than I do. I'm open to suggestions - maybe as admin, I could add a link?
    and I definitely think the "adorable" reason was the purpose of the Baptismal bonnet

Then, there's the practical reason for the bonnet - per J's memorable response!

C'mon, Slackers. Wake up!

Huh? What? Oh, hi

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    C'mon, Slackers. Wake up!
    why, it's Friday - waiting for the 5:00 whistle.
    And I would have been awake if only Z hadn't disconnected the PA system so we could get the morning announcements.

Seems like everyone has started the weekend early. 2 weddings this weekend then going to Albuquerque on Monday for my sister's 70th birthday. She's much, much older than me.

temps are finally livable - low 80's later today. going out to have dinner at a place that has outside seating - have a couple of choices - can't wait till this day is over.
    so I hear Van de Bosch is loved in Detroit. I think he will do fine for Schwartz and the Lions - hate to lose him from the Titans.

Seems like everyone has started the weekend early. 2 weddings this weekend then going to Albuquerque on Monday for my sister's 70th birthday. She's much, much older than me.
    Swing by Santa Fe for me and pick up some turquoise and an Acoma pottery piece, okay?

where does your sister live in Albequerque? My parents were married in an old church in Old Town - St. Philip de Neri - went there in '67 - is real old and built out of adobe.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    why, it's Friday - waiting for the 5:00 whistle.
    And I would have been awake if only Z hadn't disconnected the PA system so we could get the morning announcements.

I have too much to do today, so I can't come out and play much- but I can enjoy a quick peak out to SJS land, every so often! :-)

EB - have a great time in Albuquerque - It's so beautiful - went there during the filming of "Wild Hogs" and drove through Madrid and Santa Fe- Fell hook line and sinker for the fake store fronts and a post office" that was really an art gallery - and a chili festival that never was......beautiful area!

This is dated material and certainly it could be said "It's like preaching to the choir" [[pun intended) but it is something many of us from St. Jude already know and can appreciate.

Jewish Sam Miller on Catholic
    Excerpts of an article written by non-Catholic Sam Miller - a prominent Cleveland Jewish businessman:

"Why would newspapers carry on a vendetta on one of the most important institutions that we have today in the United States, namely the Catholic Church?

Do you know - the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to that Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. The graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in the United States today

But the press is vindictive and trying to totally denigrate in every way the Catholic Church in this country. They have blamed the disease of pedophilia on the Catholic Church, which is as irresponsible as blaming adultery on the institution of marriage.

Let me give you some figures that Catholics should know and remember. For example, 12% of the 300 Protestant clergy surveyed admitted to sexual intercourse with a parishioner; 38% acknowledged other inappropriate sexual contact in a study by the United Methodist Church , 41.8% of clergy women reported unwanted sexual behavior; 17% of laywomen have been sexually harassed.

Meanwhile, 1.7% of the Catholic clergy has been found guilty of pedophilia. 10% of the Protestant ministers have been found guilty of pedophilia. This is not a Catholic Problem.

A study of American priests showed that most are happy in the priesthood and find it even better than they had expected, and that most, if given the choice, would choose to be priests again in face of all this obnoxious PR the church has been receiving.

The Catholic Church is bleeding from self-inflicted wounds. The agony that Catholics have felt and suffered is not necessarily the fault of the Church. You have been hurt by a small number of wayward priests that have probably been totally weeded out by now.

Walk with your shoulders high and you head higher. Be a proud member of the most important non-governmental agency in the United States . Then remember what Jeremiah said: 'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Be proud to speak up for your faith with pride and reverence and learn what your Church does for all other religions.

Be proud that you're a Catholic."
    Last edited by kellyroad; August-27-10 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Swing by Santa Fe for me and pick up some turquoise and an Acoma pottery piece, okay?
    No problemo.

where does your sister live in Albequerque? My parents were married in an old church in Old Town - St. Philip de Neri - went there in '67 - is real old and built out of adobe.
    She's on the extreme southwest border, Nothing but farmland behind her house.

Excellent KR!!!! I had never seen that before - and even though I'm always proud to be a Catholic - especially one educated at St. Jude/Detroit - am prouder now - if that could be possible!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhYR...layer_embedded

This video clip is from a 1953 baptism at St. Jude Church when it was in the gym.
    You'll notice the baptismal font was [[as we have discussed previously) in the north west corner [[near the school). It appears that the priest could be Fr. Ording but not 100% sure. Does anyone recall the gym doors has they were back in the day?
    OMG, I about cried watching this, KR!

Finally, some video from the past.

What an excellent contribution to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Excellent KR!!!! I had never seen that before - and even though I'm always proud to be a Catholic - especially one educated at St. Jude/Detroit - am prouder now - if that could be possible!
    I am in Cfg's camp on this one ... if there was any doubt ... or if anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I am in Cfg's camp on this one ... if there was any doubt ... or if anyone cares.
    7K: I believe there are many who feel as CFG does.....having a deep pride and love of St. Jude Parish [[historically and currently) and the faith it represents and supports. It's nice to see one who is outside of the Catholic faith recognize the good of the Church and write about it so eloquently in the popular press.

wanted to let all my SJS friends that as of today, it is official. i received my letter from the Bishop of Nashville that I have been accepted into the upcoming class of the Diaconate. thank you for all the St. Jude prayers. Now the work begins!
    Congrats, Laing!! Best wishes and keep us informed as to how things are progressing. Sorry this is a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    This is dated material and certainly it could be said "It's like preaching to the choir" [[pun intended) but it is something many of us from St. Jude already know and can appreciate.

Jewish Sam Miller on Catholic
    Excerpts of an article written by non-Catholic Sam Miller - a prominent Cleveland Jewish businessman:

"Why would newspapers carry on a vendetta on one of the most important institutions that we have today in the United States, namely the Catholic Church?

Do you know - the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to that Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. The graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in the United States today

But the press is vindictive and trying to totally denigrate in every way the Catholic Church in this country. They have blamed the disease of pedophilia on the Catholic Church, which is as irresponsible as blaming adultery on the institution of marriage.

Let me give you some figures that Catholics should know and remember. For example, 12% of the 300 Protestant clergy surveyed admitted to sexual intercourse with a parishioner; 38% acknowledged other inappropriate sexual contact in a study by the United Methodist Church , 41.8% of clergy women reported unwanted sexual behavior; 17% of laywomen have been sexually harassed.

Meanwhile, 1.7% of the Catholic clergy has been found guilty of pedophilia. 10% of the Protestant ministers have been found guilty of pedophilia. This is not a Catholic Problem.

A study of American priests showed that most are happy in the priesthood and find it even better than they had expected, and that most, if given the choice, would choose to be priests again in face of all this obnoxious PR the church has been receiving.

The Catholic Church is bleeding from self-inflicted wounds. The agony that Catholics have felt and suffered is not necessarily the fault of the Church. You have been hurt by a small number of wayward priests that have probably been totally weeded out by now.

Walk with your shoulders high and you head higher. Be a proud member of the most important non-governmental agency in the United States . Then remember what Jeremiah said: 'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Be proud to speak up for your faith with pride and reverence and learn what your Church does for all other religions.

Be proud that you're a Catholic."
    Copied, pasted and sent to some of my dearest friends. Thanks KR.

So many friends and SJ family members are in need of prayers - lets keep all of our St. Jude family in our prayers tonight.

So many friends and SJ family members are in need of prayers - lets keep all of our St. Jude family in our prayers tonight.
    ........and everyday. My instincts tell me that though many of us have moved far away, St. Jude will always hold a special place in our hearts not only for the wonderful environment in which we were raised but also for its current parish community and its mission in northeast Detroit. We were and are blessed.

AMEN, kr, AMEN!

AMEN, kr, AMEN!
    Back to nostalgia ...

Anyone remember back in the early 50's when church was in the gym that the priests lived in the upstairs rooms of the gym?

And we've often mentioned Frank and his lie detector machine, but wasn't Walter in charge before that?