Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 218 of 263 FirstFirst ... 118 168 208 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 228 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 6559

I think Sr. Thomas Annette was the nun that my brother had who would always take off her rosary before 'disciplining' the male students. They were terrified of her but she would also play ball games with them on the blacktop during recess, so they liked her too.

Terrified and liking her too - I think that combination may have been what allowed one person to keep track of 50+ students, giving them a great education. I wouldn't say I was 'terrified' of any nun, but I sure respected their authority and wouldn't have traded my SJ teachers - sisters and lay persons for anything. If we had to adhere to the same class size that the teachers today require, we'd have had 8 rooms for each grade!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Terrified and liking her too - I think that combination may have been what allowed one person to keep track of 50+ students, giving them a great education. I wouldn't say I was 'terrified' of any nun, but I sure respected their authority and wouldn't have traded my SJ teachers - sisters and lay persons for anything. If we had to adhere to the same class size that the teachers today require, we'd have had 8 rooms for each grade!
    ...and that is the interesting and perhaps incredible history of SJ school [[and many parochial elementary schools in Detroit) one or two generations ago. A school with that many students by today's standards would warrant a 60 plus classroom building, two gymnasiums, at least one cafeteria, and para professionals to assist teachers with larger class sizes [[30 or more), all this on a much larger campus with parking. Contrast to 60 plus students in small classrooms. physical education at desk side or parking lot and subsiding on $100/month stipend, pantry drives, and one station wagon for 32 nuns. This is not ancient history. It happened in our life time. St. Jude, due to its size, was the epitome of extreme contrasts. Another chapter in St. Jude history...."The Service of the Adrian Dominican Nuns"

Default St. Jude Jets Home Gym prior to 1958

Here is the response concerning the inquiry about where the Jets played prior to the church becoming the gym.....

That's funny I just explained this to one of my kids. The teams practiced at Carlton School . I believe it's on Beaconsfield The teams were not called Jets then but were in the CYO league. My sister -in-laws played later and I'll ask where they practiced. We had a CYO High school team when I was a freshman and we practiced at Carlton in1948. I'll tell you more after I talk to my in-laws. Hope this helps a little.
    Yours Truly,
    LG [[name withheld)
    Class of 1947 St. Jude

I'm surprised they played at Carlton and not Burbank - or a closer school? Was it even built back then? What the original name of the SJS sports team? Anyone know?

I would! Sr. ER [[those are not my initials, that's where I'll put you) certainly left me with a permanent twitch. Any errant movement, shadow from a bird or moving tree branch, above my head still causes me to flinch. They ruled tougher than some Marine Sgt's. But had to with all the students in one room. They would break you down to buid character. It mostly paid off.

All joking aside we were all like little Semper Fidelis Students. I would like to think that most of us are still, Always Faithful.

Yes, MKAP, Always Faithful! - and a big thank you to those who gave us that 'conscience" that is still working today!

I'm surprised they played at Carlton and not Burbank - or a closer school? Was it even built back then? What the original name of the SJS sports team? Anyone know?

The Bi-Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    I would! Sr. ER [[those are not my initials, that's where I'll put you) certainly left me with a permanent twitch. Any errant movement, shadow from a bird or moving tree branch, above my head still causes me to flinch. They ruled tougher than some Marine Sgt's. But had to with all the students in one room. They would break you down to buid character. It mostly paid off.

All joking aside we were all like little Semper Fidelis Students. I would like to think that most of us are still, Always Faithful.
    Just for you Mkap.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Just for you Mkap.

Thanks a lot. Are you going to keep me company when I can sleep because of the nightmares tonight?

Well, it's the first full week of school. Beautiful day here in northeast Detroit.. Got a new Schafer fountain pen, a pack of control paper, and a new rubber eraser. Had a peanut butter sandwich packed in a brown paper bag [[not doing the lunch box thing this year) and twinkies. ...Decided not to go home for lunch..want to get a full game of keep away on the black top. The duty girls are doing their job keeping everyone in single file with no talking. For homework, our class has to know the beatitudes by Thursday, a page of fraction multiplications, and 20 spelling words to memorize...but I can do that later. Going up to Heilmann after school if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Just for you Mkap.

AAArrggggg!
    Gurgle, gurgle. Splat.

Sawdust needed in row2

Thanks for that Z!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Well, it's the first full week of school. Beautiful day here in northeast Detroit.. Got a new Schafer fountain pen, a pack of control paper, and a new rubber eraser. Had a peanut butter sandwich packed in a brown paper bag [[not doing the lunch box thing this year) and twinkies. ...Decided not to go home for lunch..want to get a full game of keep away on the black top. The duty girls are doing their job keeping everyone in single file with no talking. For homework, our class has to know the beatitudes by Thursday, a page of fraction multiplications, and 20 spelling words to memorize...but I can do that later. Going up to Heilmann after school if anyone is interested.
    Count me in KR!!

If I knew then what I know now, I would skip school to go to Heilmann now.

Just give me a minute to pack up here - and I'll meet you all by the boat!

Sorry, I'm on a late vacation and can't make it. Boy, it's fun to be out here while all of you guys have to go to school.
    Score!!

Rub it in! We'll miss you - but will save you your homework, so you can catch up when you get back.

Mark your calendars! Please join us for our annual St. Jude Novena, which will begin on October 20th and end October 28th. We need St. Jude, our patron of hopeless cases, to intercede for us. We all know family and friends who are in spiritual need of the intercession of St. Jude especially in these desperate times ...of uncertainty in employment as well as for those friends and family members who may be struggling with an illness. Please plan on joining us during these novena days at St. Jude Parish. More details to follow. God Bless You.

Mark your calendars! Please join us for our annual St. Jude Novena, which will begin on October 20th and end October 28th. We need St. Jude, our patron of hopeless cases, to intercede for us. We all know family and friends who are in spiritual need of the intercession of St. Jude especially in these desperate times ...of uncertainty in employment as well as for those friends and family members who may be struggling with an illness. Please plan on joining us during these novena days at St. Jude Parish. More details to follow. God Bless You.
    Thanks for the info CFG.
    St. Jude had at one time Benediction followed by a St. Jude Novena every week [[ I believe on a Tuesday evening). Most of us will recall the beautiful hymns, organ music and the ornate Monstrance that held the Eucharist. The Benediction was followed with and ended with a long prayer to St. Jude [[ I recall the words "Blessed Apostle with confidence we invoke thee" and "St. Jude, help of the hopeless, aid me in my distress" both were repeated 3 times. At one point there was a pause of silence for one's own request [[plea).

Question [[point of discussion) What are your recollections of Benediction and St. Jude Devotion?

I remember going as a Family to the St. Jude Novena and the "St. Jude, help of the hopeless,..." and remember thinking "How could anyone feel hopeless?
    We put the St. Jude statue up on the altar at the side, add a kneeler and have a small table on which rests a cross with a relic of St. Jude in the center. Under the table is a basket to place petitions. To me, being able to see the relic from St. Jude makes it more meaningful and "real". Being at the novena each night as an adult, is so moving and so inspirational that you don't want it to end.

I remember going as a Family to the St. Jude Novena and the "St. Jude, help of the hopeless,..." and remember thinking "How could anyone feel hopeless?
    We put the St. Jude statue up on the altar at the side, add a kneeler and have a small table on which rests a cross with a relic of St. Jude in the center. Under the table is a basket to place petitions. To me, being able to see the relic from St. Jude makes it more meaningful and "real". Being at the novena each night as an adult, is so moving and so inspirational that you don't want it to end.
    Many of us recall when the St. Jude statue was in its own chapel [[cry room) with the rotating candle aparatus. In a way, having the statue right by the altar with a petition basket and relic is sure to be meaningful and, as you stated, "real". For those who've been in the Detroit area for a couple of generations may remember how devotion to St. Jude was promoted via Danny Thomas and Fr. Coughlin [[the Shrine of the Little Flower has a special chapel devoted to St. Jude).

Does anyone know of the nature of the St. Jude relics inside the cornerstone and/or the cross?

Speaking of relics reminds me of 7_and_kelly_kid who was very much interested in them. It was around this time in 2008 that he died [[Sep 12). David, may God rest your dear soul. I miss you. I just know I'm going to drive by the old school one of these days, and see you standing in the otherwise empty statue alcove on 7 Mile near Rex, waving.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Speaking of relics reminds me of 7_and_kelly_kid who was very much interested in them. It was around this time in 2008 that he died [[Sep 12). David, may God rest your dear soul. I miss you. I just know I'm going to drive by the old school one of these days, and see you standing in the otherwise empty statue alcove on 7 Mile near Rex, waving.
    It's hard to believe it's been 2 years since Dave's passing. I recall when he was a child his yearning to rush over to the blacktop to see and hear those majestic bells were almost a daily ritual. In 2008, during the June 1st planting day, Dave expressed his fondness and deep appreciation for St. Jude and the surrounding community and wanted to "walk down memory lane" ....That walk never occurred. GRHDS

Default Picture Puzzle

What virtue does the attached picture of stained glass from St. Jude represent?
    bonus: Where is the stained glass located?

See thee more clearly?