Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 217 of 263 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 227 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 6559

Z, could it have been on one of those Eastside Detroit pages on FB?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Well, while searching the interwebs for the funeral picture, I found out Sr. Thomas Annette passed away in 2008
    http://www.adriandominicans.org/What...tte-Burns.aspx
    From that article:

"In August 1956, Sister Thomas Annette came to Adrian to pick up her three newly professed Sisters. I had the good fortune to be one of those Sisters… St. Jude School had over 1,700 students, with four classes of each grade… T.A. was a consummate teacher and principal. She was loved by the students and teachers and deeply respected by the parents.
    T.A. was a great superior. We were twenty-four Sisters, twelve without the ring and very young… She was compassionate and kind, prayerful and fun-loving, strict, yet always looking for ways to make life interesting. She loved hosting movies and parties for the Sisters in the area. On Saturdays she would bring all the young Sisters over to the gym for basketball. She could sink a basket from the center line with great ease in full habit. In the spring she would pack six or more at a time into our station wagon for “Mystery Trips” off to somewhere in Michigan, which always ended in an ice cream treat. Notre Dame and Notre Dame football was a “must.” … We had lots of fun with the DuMais nieces and nephews, riding them up and down the halls on kitchen carts. They were a great delight then, and now."

Z, could it have been on one of those Eastside Detroit pages on FB?
    Don't know fer sure, but it is starting to irk me

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Don't know fer sure, but it is starting to irk me
    I have searched far and wide but can find nothing. I posted a shout out to Ray1936 to see if he remembers anything.

Is it possible that it wasn't a Police funeral, but a funeral with a police guard? The bomb threat aspect makes me wonder is it had something to do with Viet Nam

I think I just realized what I was thinking of. Back around 1985 or so there was a bad accident involving 3 Detroit Firemen who perished in a blaze. There were 3 brothers who were all firemen by the name of McDonald and were friends of my dad. This is the same McDonald family that ran all the Firehouse restaurants. I believe the original was Warren, then they bought the old Sheppard's Inn on Groesbeck and opened one there and another on Harper near 15 Mile.

One of their son's was a brand new recruit and it may have been his first fire and they went into a building and it collapsed on them.

The McDonald kid I know was an ND grad and may have went to St. Jude too. I know his funeral was at St. Jude and that's where I think the picture was taken, if so I still have copies of the Detroit Fire Fighter magazine that would have that pic in it. I'll check when I get the chance.

Sorry for all the confusion.

I'm glad you posted that, because if there was a picture of a funeral at St. Jude anywhere on the web, I couldn't find it and I was beginning to think I was losing my touch.

I'm glad you posted that, because if there was a picture of a funeral at St. Jude anywhere on the web, I couldn't find it and I was beginning to think I was losing my touch.
    Well once I take a pic of it and post it you will be able to find one then.

ok, that'll work.

Z, here you go:
    http://detroitphoto1.smugmug.com/Det...35105890_XGUH2
    With thanks to Stosh
    Last edited by jcole; September-02-10 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I think I just realized what I was thinking of. Back around 1985 or so there was a bad accident involving 3 Detroit Firemen who perished in a blaze. There were 3 brothers who were all firemen by the name of McDonald and were friends of my dad. This is the same McDonald family that ran all the Firehouse restaurants. I believe the original was Warren, then they bought the old Sheppard's Inn on Groesbeck and opened one there and another on Harper near 15 Mile.

One of their son's was a brand new recruit and it may have been his first fire and they went into a building and it collapsed on them.

The McDonald kid I know was an ND grad and may have went to St. Jude too. I know his funeral was at St. Jude and that's where I think the picture was taken, if so I still have copies of the Detroit Fire Fighter magazine that would have that pic in it. I'll check when I get the chance.

Sorry for all the confusion.

was the McDonald kid you knew James? There was one in my grade in the early grades who had a roman candle blow up on his mouth. never knew what happened to him. would have been in class of 71.

Z, here you go:
    With thanks to Stosh

Thanks JC and Stosh. 1987, I guess I was close on the date. Larry McDonald Jr. was the kids name. Laing, I actually knew his dad not him. I'm not sure if his dad ever recovered from this tragedy. There was talk the senior FF Lau may have been a little over zealous in leading the charge into the area that collapsed. Possibly trying to show off for the youngster

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    KR, I have it on good word priests lived in the upper gym before the rectory was completed. Remember we had 4 or 5 priests in the parish at one time so maybe some of them overflowed to the duplex or vise versa. EB?

Also, Walter's last name might have been Gogaleski or something like that.
    The priests were all in the 7 Mile duplexes B4 the rectory was built at least to my knowledge which goes back to at least 1950. Damn! I'm getting old!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Maybe our good friend EB can confirm where the Jets played while the church was in the gym.

Darned if I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Darned if I know.
    Mrs. Gentry?

Maybe they played in there and just set up church on Sundays?

I didn't find the pic I was looking for and it looks like there was a group funeral for these three so that wasn't the pic I was thinking of. I know I saw that pic somewhere. Regardless, here is the cover of the Detroit Fire Fighter magazine I was talking about plus another of a copy a letter young girl wrote
    Last edited by zitro; September-03-10 at 12:41 PM.

So sad....this little girl went to parochial school - I think we can all tell by her writing.

Maybe they played in there and just set up church on Sundays?
    Nope, It was only the church. We thought it was strange seeing the church turned into a gym.

Z, here you go:
    With thanks to Stosh
    Thanks to stosh.

I remember that fire. like it was yesterday.

Being a smoke eaters son, it always sticks in your mind, the risky business firefighters put themselves in, on a daily basis. We, as civilians, take for granted what they realize often. The stories listened too, when young, really don't kick in till you get older and know ones mortality, in that line of work, could be just a routine fire away. I thank God for all service personal. They run to, when most run from.

I agree MKap - your dad was one of many firefighters and policemen in St. Jude parish. We sometimes take for granted their heroics - and many today compensate the sports star with accolades and big salaries - and those that have our backs, give selflessly, without receiving the acknowledgement they deserve.

I just saw a post on Facebook by my cousin asking that people Please say a prayer for the parish priest at St. Edith, Fr. Mike. Last night he had a massive stroke, collapsing while helping those in need after an accident near the parish. His prognosis at this time does not look good...

Addenda: Father Mike passed away tonight.
    Last edited by jcole; September-07-10 at 10:40 PM.

I will absolutely say a prayer for Fr. Mike - So sorry to hear of his death - and the loss to his parish family.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    From that article:

"In August 1956, Sister Thomas Annette came to Adrian to pick up her three newly professed Sisters. I had the good fortune to be one of those Sisters… St. Jude School had over 1,700 students, with four classes of each grade… T.A. was a consummate teacher and principal. She was loved by the students and teachers and deeply respected by the parents.
    T.A. was a great superior. We were twenty-four Sisters, twelve without the ring and very young… She was compassionate and kind, prayerful and fun-loving, strict, yet always looking for ways to make life interesting. She loved hosting movies and parties for the Sisters in the area. On Saturdays she would bring all the young Sisters over to the gym for basketball. She could sink a basket from the center line with great ease in full habit. In the spring she would pack six or more at a time into our station wagon for “Mystery Trips” off to somewhere in Michigan, which always ended in an ice cream treat. Notre Dame and Notre Dame football was a “must.” … We had lots of fun with the DuMais nieces and nephews, riding them up and down the halls on kitchen carts. They were a great delight then, and now."
    Great post. Sr. TA was principal when I first attended St. Jude. It is interesting to see what motivates someone to choose a certain path/advocation. Given her early family life, it is no wonder why she opted for service to the church as teacher and principal. St. Jude School was very fortunate to have strong leaders especially during the peak years in the 50s-60s. [[Sr. TA was principal until June of 1960; therefore, the sinking of the basket from center court must have taken place after the church was converted into a gym. Especially, considering a school of that size, where did the Jets play ball in the mid 50s and before?...another mystery. [[It's time for the LG inquiry)

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    Thanks to stosh.

I remember that fire. like it was yesterday.

Being a smoke eaters son, it always sticks in your mind, the risky business firefighters put themselves in, on a daily basis. We, as civilians, take for granted what they realize often. The stories listened too, when young, really don't kick in till you get older and know ones mortality, in that line of work, could be just a routine fire away. I thank God for all service personal. They run to, when most run from.
    The book about St. Jude Parish in Detroit would not be complete without a chapter recognizing the dedication and heroics of the many police officers and firemen that graced its surrounding neighborhood. They are/were on the front lines of service to the community and many know about their participation and dedication to the parish.