Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

....What the heck do we care, we're all going to be here.
    hail, hail, the gangs all here.....

Gang?? Yoo Hoo, Gang...

Default Thought I'd reprise my 1st post on the old thread

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:59 pm:
    I graduated from SJS in 1958. Well remember 60+ kids in every classroom. Big rooms but Sr. Mary Magdalene could still throw a blackboard eraser corner to corner to clip a talking kid in the back of the head. Spent 7th grade in the "portables" in the parking lot which was also the playground. Swings, slides & monkey bars on asphalt. No sissy kids back then. You fell, broke your arm - no big deal - no lawsuit. The class of '58 had great 25 & 30 year reunions but I've heard nothing about a 50th this year. Maybe I'm the only one still alive?????????????

And so it begins again....

I once had a boss who always used to say the only thing that stays the same is change - think he had this forum in mind. Hope everyone is able to log into this.

Default Repeat of 1st St. Jude post on March 19, 2008

I thought I'd give the St. Jude Post another chance, this time with a few photos added periodically. St. Jude parish and school were at one time the largest in the Arch Diocese of Detroit with about 13,000 parishioners and more than 1600 students enrolled in grades 1-8 [[circa late 50s-60s). Some of the first and second grade classrooms had 61 students x 4 classes per grade [[over 240 students per grade)... I know, I was one of them. 31 nuns, 4 priests and 2 visiting priests tended to the school and parish. The photo below is of Sr. Leonita [[1963), the principal 1960-67. A few months ago the Michigan Catholic ran an article about her. At the time she was 104 yrs old living in Adrian..a writer of children's books and a big Red Wing fan.

Please share a few of your St. Jude memories. If you know of anyone who is not a member of the Discuss Detroit Forum and were a member of St. Jude ask them to join. Hopefully, this post will continue on. St. Jude was and still is a rich part of the northeast Detroit community,

Let's not forget our founder.

My memories of Fr. Ording are from a perspective of a grade schooler and altar boy. He had a very authoritative aura about him, liked golf, and had a close knit circle of friends. If he wasn't a priest he probably could have been a CEO of a fortune 500 company. He didn't "scare the dickens out of me" but yet wasn't the most approachable priest either... he was a leader. Again, this is from a perspective of a young kid. I did respect him as our pastor. St. Jude school would always get the feast day of St. Joseph off because that was J.J. Ording's namesake.