Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 34 of 263 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 84 134 ... LastLast

Great shot - did you take that picture? I miss going to the games, but just can't get into the Copa. When I walk in there, it's like an amusement park. The sights, sounds and smells of a real ballyard are one of life's best pleasures!

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    It's that big and he was beggin' for balls from the players coming off the field in between innings. The webbing was so big a ball would sail through it. I told him I wouldn't count on him protecting me if one came out way.

My son said he saw the same guy there at a game he went to a couple of weeks ago.
    I wonder if he's one of those fans that would "steal" a souvenier ball away from a little kid

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Great shot - did you take that picture? I miss going to the games, but just can't get into the Copa. When I walk in there, it's like an amusement park. The sights, sounds and smells of a real ballyard are one of life's best pleasures!

That;s too bad cfg. You're pretty much limited to going to Fenway or Wrigley at this pont anymore that's all there is left.

I thought it was interesting that Leyland chose not to bring out the lineup card since he had the dustup with the ump on the left the day before.
    It seems Leyland's tirade was more about supporting Ordonez's disagreement on a low strike zone. If it was really about the umpire's placing his hand on Ondonez's back to "guide" him back to the dug out than Leyland needs to spend more time thinking about things that really matter....like when to pull his starting pitching..

You're right Z - a game at Fenway - even walking into that ballyard is an incredible experience. Haven't been there for a few years - I need a "fix!"

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    It seems Leyland's tirade was more about supporting Ordonez's disagreement on a low strike zone. If it was really about the umpire's placing his hand on Ondonez's back to "guide" him back to the dug out than Leyland needs to spend more time thinking about things that really matter....like when to pull his starting pitching..

I couldn't agree with you more Verlander went into the 7th with over 105 pitches I know the bullpen was taxed from the night before but we don't have guys in the bullpen that do well with inherited runners on base.

we don't have guys in the bullpen that do well with inherited runners on base.
    This is true. Makes you wonder what goes through the minds of our starters when they see these guys warming up. I'm guessing the first thing is "oh, sht"!

Is St. Jude going to have a "planting day" again this year?

1965 photo of St. Jude Church

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2009905170662
    Ernie could have added that a park was named for Heilmann shortly after his death in 1951 [[a park right in the heart of St. Jude Parish)

Well that was interesting! I had never heard of Heilmann the ballplayer or had any idea for whom the park was named!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Well that was interesting! I had never heard of Heilmann the ballplayer or had any idea for whom the park was named!

I don't think I knew that Wish Egan was a scout for the Tigers until I was in my twenties.

I remember hearing Heilmann broadcasting games when I was a little kid. I think it was Van Patrick who followed him. Van did the Lions broadcasts, too. That was when we actually had a football team named the Detroit Lions.

I don't think I knew that Wish Egan was a scout for the Tigers until I was in my twenties.
    Don't feel bad. I never HEARD of Wish Egan until now. [[But then again I have never been much of a sports follower). I remember a Wish Egan field [[was that the one that on State Fair east of Schoenherr?) but always thought it was one word, "Wishegan" and had no idea it was named after a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I remember hearing Heilmann broadcasting games when I was a little kid. I think it was Van Patrick who followed him. Van did the Lions broadcasts, too. That was when we actually had a football team named the Detroit Lions.
    I DO remember Van Patrick. My grandfather used to have the radio tuned to 950 am and blaring 24/7, so there's no way I could not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I believe Heilmann at one time actually broadcasted from a seat at Navin Field/Briggs Stadium before there was a broadcast booth.

Eastburn: Were you at Heilmann Field when it was dedicated to its namesake?

TRIVIA: There was a pharmacy on Kelly and Spring Garden [[across from the Denby's drivers ed. course) where many St. Jude parishioners frequented. What was the name of the pharmacy? I'm not a 100% sure of the answer [[and I didn't search the St. Jude Calendar ad archives). Later a Burger King was put in its location. ....a free fountain drink for the first correct response.
    Last edited by kellyroad; May-17-09 at 10:41 PM.

If it wasn't for the flag pole plaque at Heilmann wouldn't have known about HH until much later in my 20s

TOPIC OF DISCUSSION: What artifact or memorabilia from the St. Jude Parish neighborhood area would you "obtain" for your own personal memorabilia collection? As mentioned I think the Heilmann flag pole plaque [[rust and all) would make an interesting conversation piece. The mouse from Easland's Lion and the mouse would look good on an end table [[although very few in my current neighborhood would appreciate the significance). The neon sign from the Parakeet Lounge. Your turn.........

The St. Jude Playfield Sign, less graffiti of course!
    Last edited by Mkap; May-18-09 at 08:07 AM.

Can't wait for the class picnic at Heilmann next week. I get to show off my new glove from Epps. Hope somebody brings a new ball cause' mine from last year has tape on it and is out of round! I guess I will have to search one of the ballfields at Heilmann after a practice to see if I can scrounge one up.

My son entered a short film festival contest. They were given the title " The Last Time We Met " to work with by the festival. He and his roommate put together this three minute piece. Hope you enjoy it! And please pass it on if you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq9mE...e=channel_page
    Last edited by Mkap; May-18-09 at 08:09 AM.

The bike stands from the Maddelein side of the school. The Merit drug sign and the Candlelight Bar sign.
    And Aldo's with Aldo himself in it.

Still working on mine, but I'll venture to say that 7 would like the tube testing machine from either Merit or Supreme Drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    I believe Heilmann at one time actually broadcasted from a seat at Navin Field/Briggs Stadium before there was a broadcast booth.

Eastburn: Were you at Heilmann Field when it was dedicated to its namesake?
    No, I wasn't. At least I don't remember being there. Of course, I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

I remember a "sweet shop" that had a soda fountain & penny candy across from Denby.

My buddy Paul & I rode our bikes from Eastburn to Denby [[pretty good ride for an 8 year old) for swimming lessons. If we had a nickel, we'd hit the sweet shop after.

The push button to change the light at the corner of Rex and 7 mile

Page 34 of 263 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 44 84 134 ... LastLast