Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 26 of 263 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    We were a fan of the Golden Buddha as well. My wife and I even had our rehearsal dinner there.

We also ate at the Silver Dragon on Kelly quite a bit. The highlight of my memories there came one night when my brother and I were having dinner. There was a slip of paper in the breadbasket. When unfolded, it read "Don't eat the rolls" with a skull and crossbones drawn at the bottom. My good buddy "Rumblefish" was working the kitchen that night and had slipped it in. He was only half joking, he was warning us about the fact that unused rolls were "recycled" if not eaten. Some thirty five years later my brother and I still laugh about that one!

Mkap and I had a couple of friends who worked there Chevy and Jim Schmidt and they would relay similar stories about the Silver Dragon

My dad loved that place. Whenever we ate there, my dad would call the owner/maitre d' 'Charlie'. Only when I got much older did I realize it wasn't the guys name.
    I guess my dad was a bit of a bigot.

It seems the only time we ever ate out was at the Silver Dragon or Milroys. Either was a real special occasion. Maybe a couple of times a year.

By the time I came along, and was old enough to be the wonderful companion that I was, we were basically a two kid family, the older three being married off and Fran was out with her boyfriends, so we ate out almost every Friday. Dad favored pancake houses, Silver Dragon or Milroys. Nothing fancy, just good food and a lot of it.
    On Saturdays, we often went to Lafayette over at Eastland for 'two on one, everyt'ing' and a Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    By the time I came along, and was old enough to be the wonderful companion that I was, we were basically a two kid family, the older three being married off and Fran was out with her boyfriends, so we ate out almost every Friday. Dad favored pancake houses, Silver Dragon or Milroys. Nothing fancy, just good food and a lot of it.
    On Saturdays, we often went to Lafayette over at Eastland for 'two on one, everyt'ing' and a Coke.

I'll take two extra everything

6. Default

The Silver Dragon is still there, I haven't eaten there in decades because of what I saw in my brief tenure
    as a dishwasher there.
    I wish I could find a Milroy's replacement. I had amazing fish and chips at Izzy's in SCS, but then they suddenly closed up after less than a year in buisness.
    The Reuben House on 8 Mile has great fish, however the place only holds like 10 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    The Silver Dragon is still there, I haven't eaten there in decades because of what I saw in my brief tenure
    as a dishwasher there.
    I wish I could find a Milroy's replacement. I had amazing fish and chips at Izzy's in SCS, but then they suddenly closed up after less than a year in buisness.
    The Reuben House on 8 Mile has great fish, however the place only holds like 10 people.

I think somewhere on the old forum there was a thread dedicated to fish n' chips and there were plenty of suggestions if you can find it. It seemed to cover just about the whole metro area

These were picks in the Free Press last year for best.

Scotty Simpson's over on the west side is supposed to be one of the best.
    Dublin Fish & Chips, Clinton Township
    The Claddagh Irish Pub, Livonia
    Gus O'Connor's, Novi
    Bet & Jessie's Fish & Chips, Redford
    Last edited by jcole; May-01-09 at 02:17 PM.

What a hockey game tonight!!! One of us was lucky enough to be there.

Hey Z. Can you get a real Coney in you neck of the woods? No such thing up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Hey Z. Can you get a real Coney in you neck of the woods? No such thing up here.

No such thing around here. If you said you wanted a Coney you'd get a quizzical look. Some places sell chili dogs but they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    EB, ever try Mama Vikkie's coney's? The original one's in Port Huron still, I think. Good quality, great taste.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    What a hockey game tonight!!! One of us was lucky enough to be there.
    The Joe was rockin' ... deafening at the end ... and what a great finish it was!

Lots of hits ... and great saves ... great goals ... fistacuffs galore ... blood on the ice [[they actually used ice scrapers to remove it) ... and octopi ...

Best of all the Red Wings won.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    The Joe was rockin' ... deafening at the end ... and what a great finish it was!

Lots of hits ... and great saves ... great goals ... fistacuffs galore ... blood on the ice [[they actually used ice scrapers to remove it) ... and octopi ...

Best of all the Red Wings won.

I heard it was so loud at the Joe the roar was heard all the way to San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I heard it was so loud at the Joe the roar was heard all the way to San Jose
    Undoubtedly, but that beautiful noise was likely lost amidst the sound of the incessent blather from one of their fans.
    Last edited by 7andkelly; May-02-09 at 08:29 AM.

What was the reaction like to Hudler hit?

EB, ever try Mama Vikkie's coney's? The original one's in Port Huron still, I think. Good quality, great taste.
    I've only had Coneys once & PH. Don't think it was Mama's because it was way below par when compared the the Lafayette or even my beloved Dog House. Had lunch there every Saturday when I was a kid collecting on my Detroit Times route.

There used to be a place in Port Huron/Fort Gratiot called 'Ted's' that was halfway decent. I think it's still there on M-25 south of Birchwood Mall.

They also put a Leo's Coney Island up in Grand Blanc. Not super close to you, but if you're out on the bike....
    Really good dogs there.

What was the reaction like to Hudler hit?
    Livid. It was a bad hit, but nothing our experienced fan base hasn't seen before. Best he was tossed out.

Of course it was one of their lesser players. IMO it was a desperate Crawfordlike move by their coach.

They also put a Leo's Coney Island up in Grand Blanc. Not super close to you, but if you're out on the bike....
    Really good dogs there.
    Romeo dairy queen is on my short list for a footlong w/ KMO, actually ... that and Romeo Theatre are nice family owned businesses we enjoy patronizing.

Yesterday's game got me thinkin' what a great job it must be to be an NHL player. I mean where else can you work where you can just shove someone into a wall or punch them in the face when they tick you off ... or just for fun?

You don't get fired, suspended, sent to anger management or even counseled for such behavior in the NHL. And if you're good at it, other companies seek you out and offer you more money.

Yesterday's game got me thinkin' what a great job it must be to be an NHL player. I mean where else can you work where you can just shove someone into a wall or punch them in the face when they tick you off ... or just for fun?

You don't get fired, suspended, sent to anger management or even counseled for such behavior in the NHL. And if you're good at it, other companies seek you out and offer you more money.

Kind of like the nuns back in the day, pretty much the same thing

Oh great, before it was talk of Polish food, now coneys. Torture, huh Z? We had a coney place in town for a few years, it was a chain out of Houston callled James Coney Island. Ugh! It tasted like a hot dog doused with dishwater. Actually, the best approximation I've found locally is at the cafeteria at work. My biggest complaint is they serve red onions. It just looks so wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Oh great, before it was talk of Polish food, now coneys. Torture, huh Z? We had a coney place in town for a few years, it was a chain out of Houston callled James Coney Island. Ugh! It tasted like a hot dog doused with dishwater. Actually, the best approximation I've found locally is at the cafeteria at work. My biggest complaint is they serve red onions. It just looks so wrong!

Don't think for one minute it's an accident Tsom. It's all a devious plot to make us feel bad for leaving.

Page 26 of 263 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 76 126 ... LastLast