Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 241 of 263 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    If that's where the EB family tied up the team of horses after the long trek to St. Jude, then yes, that was the hitching post.

Were iron on patches used after the fall?

you bet they were, and I also remember patches on patches.
    I remember those sidewalk brushes, too. Maybe it is because we used to throw snowballs at the jeep as it went by!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Snow days? We didn't need no stinkin' snow days. And I lived on the parish's northern boundary. 12 blocks to school [[all up hill - both ways).
    You forgot barefoot Ward!

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    You forgot barefoot Ward!
    Oh, Beaver, don't be so hard on the Ward

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    oh, beaver, don't be so hard on the ward

lmao!!!!.....

We had to carry our shoes around our necks with the laces tied together. Avoided a lot of wear on the soles. Had to have metal taps on the toes & heels to protect them, too.

Hey Happy Valentines Day people! You can expectyour valentines on your desk at the end of the day....however, we've already determined that Zitro only sends valentines to Betty!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Hey Happy Valentines Day people! You can expectyour valentines on your desk at the end of the day....however, we've already determined that Zitro only sends valentines to Betty!
    Jealousy will get you nowhere CFG

You're right.....maybe my valentine's still in the mail! yeah, that's it, like Charlie Brown, I'll wait at the mailbox when I got home for lunch.

Man, I am having the shittiest 'special days' this month. Zeus died on my birthday and now he's being cremated on Valentine's day. A real year to remember.

Sorry, Jeanne - we're joking about cards, and you're having a sad day - so sorry!

Hey, no, that's okay. I didn't mean to be a downer; it's just ironic

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=detroit&sp=173

Hope this link works, someone from this thread may be interested in these...
    Last edited by Bluenote132003; February-14-11 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated link

Thank YOU Bluenote - this is an awesome link and I will follow-up with these renderings for possible incorporation into our history book!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    We had one snow day in about 4th grade at SJS.. We had 49.5" of snow in the winter of 64-65 and one storm dropped over 10", so I think it was then. I remember building igloos and tunnels on the front lawn when we were off of school. That's the only one I remember.
    I remember this one as well, and this sounds like the correct time frame.

The only other time I recall a snow day was the one that shut down MSU, the winter of '78 I believe. It was only the third time in school history. I was awakened by the sounds of cheers in the dorm [[it was mid-terms, I believe.) I also remember the human teams pulling the toboggans back from the beer stores laden with kegs of liquid sustenance. Hey, we knew how to pull together in a crisis!
    Last edited by Tsomyak; February-14-11 at 04:00 PM.

Lots of trivia questions coming in - and hopefully lots more alumni contacting SJ either via Facebook or the contact page on the www.stjudedetroit.org web page.

Interesting new pictures coming in - who knew there were confirmations made in the Gym before the church was completed?

That's where I was confirmed. That WAS the church until about 7th grade.

Often times teacher's words [[written or verbal, positive or negative) stay with a student for the rest of their lives.

Quote: "God loves you ___ and so do I." [[written by Sr. Rose Magdelin, St. Jude 8th grade teacher, on the back of class picture)

Anyone have a positive quote from a St. Jude teacher to pass along?

WOW - good question - KR. actually, I can think of a lot and will have to narrow down a favorite. It's funny, as I sat for 3 hours in the Dentist chair today, we talked - well they talked - about how much more important our grade school education was than at any other time. Later in education, we took classes we 'had' to - but none helped us as much as learning proper grammar, basic math, and the lost art of hand-writing. Though some of us aren't quite as "graph paper" neat as we once were, we have it all over the "kids" in this office - for spelling and writing!

WOW - good question - KR. actually, I can think of a lot and will have to narrow down a favorite. It's funny, as I sat for 3 hours in the Dentist chair today, we talked - well they talked - about how much more important our grade school education was than at any other time. Later in education, we took classes we 'had' to - but none helped us as much as learning proper grammar, basic math, and the lost art of hand-writing. Though some of us aren't quite as "graph paper" neat as we once were, we have it all over the "kids" in this office - for spelling and writing!
    Yes, the 4 Rs were the foundation to the rest of our education.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Often times teacher's words [[written or verbal, positive or negative) stay with a student for the rest of their lives.

Quote: "God loves you ___ and so do I." [[written by Sr. Rose Magdelin, St. Jude 8th grade teacher, on the back of class picture)

Anyone have a positive quote from a St. Jude teacher to pass along?

It's ironic I am sitting in Old Hickory, TN not more than 1 1/2 miles as the crow flies from my front door to the front door to the Hermitage - home of Andrew Jackson including this. I remember a field trip to Henry Ford Museum in the 8th grade. My history teacher was Sr. Ruth Adamities. While there, I had to buy something in the gift shop so I bought a couple of those fake Confederate bills most of us had at one time or another. Anyway, on the bus back, she asked me what I bought, showed her, and she said, "Save your Confederate money 'cause the South will rise again!" I thought that was the corniest thing to say back then, and still do!!!!
    As for a positive thing, I remember I asked Sr. Dominic Michael in 2nd grade why she wore a wedding ring. She said she was married to the church. That really stuck with me. When I was putting my application together for the diaconate, I used that story to describe how someone could live a fulfilled life while living in celibacy.

Laing, That's an awesome memory about Sr. Dominic Michael. we still keep in contact with Sister Paul Therese - 6-131 upper gym room. she was/is the greatest tiger fan. I think she enjoyed having one of the classrooms away from the rest of the school. We had to memorize portions of our history book - paragraph by paragraph and recite them in front of the class. Depending on how "lucky" you were, the paragraph could be 2 lines, or 20. I definitely helped me in my job now of standing in front of groups in assemblies when I provide training.

Laing, That's an awesome memory about Sr. Dominic Michael. we still keep in contact with Sister Paul Therese - 6-131 upper gym room. she was/is the greatest tiger fan. I think she enjoyed having one of the classrooms away from the rest of the school. We had to memorize portions of our history book - paragraph by paragraph and recite them in front of the class. Depending on how "lucky" you were, the paragraph could be 2 lines, or 20. I definitely helped me in my job now of standing in front of groups in assemblies when I provide training.
    2 questions I have for the trivia section of the 70th concerns any information as to when Troop 420 started and when it ended with anyone who may have been a Scout. Also, we touched on it before, but do we have any priests/sisters/nuns/brothers/deacons, etc from our alumni.

I will post those questions out on our Facebook and website Laing and see what we get for a response!

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    2 questions I have for the trivia section of the 70th concerns any information as to when Troop 420 started and when it ended with anyone who may have been a Scout. Also, we touched on it before, but do we have any priests/sisters/nuns/brothers/deacons, etc from our alumni.
    I got tossed out of Divine Heart Seminary - Donaldson, IN - in 1961. Does that count?

My sister [[class of '54) was an Adrian Dominican for 20+ years.

My SJS & ND classmate, Bob Nally, is a priest in the Gaylord diocese the last I knew.