Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 263 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BigSistertoJohnR View Post
    Oh, Mike remembers very well who chipped his front tooth!! I made him get it fixed 3 months before we got married. I wasn't having a toothless wonder in my wedding photos!!

I miss a good old fashioned Mr. Freeze. Those were the days when life was simple and happy.

Today we have snow, rain and high winds. Summer only comes to Traverse City for 3 months. I'm not lying either. June, July and August.

Now, who was with me in 6th grade, above the gym in Sr. Paul Therese's homeroom?
    I was definitely up there with you. There was you, Mary Lou, Chris J, me and a fifth girl who used to hang out. Who was it? Also, do you remember Cindy Brown, and getting reprimanded because we didn't include her in our group and her mother called Sr. Paul Therese?

Gosh girl, you had your kids young! Good for you! My kids are the best thing that ever happened to me, next to beating up my little brother! Hehehehe
    I was a child bride.
    Actually, not too far off. I got married at 19 and had my girls when I was 20 and 21. But, the oldest was born 14 months after I got married, so no counting on fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I was definitely up there with you. There was you, Mary Lou, Chris J, me and a fifth girl who used to hang out. Who was it? Also, do you remember Cindy Brown, and getting reprimanded because we didn't include her in our group and her mother called Sr. Paul Therese?

My most distinct memories of being in Sr. Paul Therese' class was how blazin' hot it used to get up there and being able to watch the World Series because she was such a BIG Tigers fan.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    My most distinct memories of being in Sr. Paul Therese' class was how blazin' hot it used to get up there and being able to watch the World Series because she was such a BIG Tigers fan.
    I remember the black and white TV with the tinfoil on the ears up there. I also remember that we won the pennant that year, and I think we got the next day off school.

JCole, I remember Cindy Brown, but I don't remember getting in trouble for not including her.

I remember the heat up there as well.

Now, here is something probably all of you did not know. Sr. Paul Therese was my second cousin. She knew it, I knew it. To me she was the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. She was my second cousin on my mother's side.

Well, good old Paul Therese didn't like me. One day I was goofing around...<---big surprise there, and she made me take all the books out of my desk and stand in the back of the room, holding all of my books, for at least an hour.

I truly did not like her! Yes, I'm telling you how I really felt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Speaking of minor league promotions, my son just pointed this one, by none other than the W. Michigan Whitecaps. A heart attack in a bun!

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...calorie+burger

I hope they have extra medical staff on hand. The Whitecap stadium is supposed to be pretty nice from what I hear. I've been to the Lansing Lugnuts stadium, first time I ever watched a professional game from the outfield stands laying on a blanket. It was designed to look similar to Camden Yards. If anyone gets a chance to get to a game there I'd recomend it.

JCole, I remember Cindy Brown, but I don't remember getting in trouble for not including her.

I remember the heat up there as well.

Now, here is something probably all of you did not know. Sr. Paul Therese was my second cousin. She knew it, I knew it. To me she was the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz. She was my second cousin on my mother's side.

Well, good old Paul Therese didn't like me. One day I was goofing around...<---big surprise there, and she made me take all the books out of my desk and stand in the back of the room, holding all of my books, for at least an hour.

I truly did not like her! Yes, I'm telling you how I really felt!
    And I thought the Book Torture was unique to Sr. Ellen Richard. They must have had Sunday night meetings in the convent of new tortures to use on unruly students.

Paul Therese wasn't my worst nun; she ranked 2nd to ER.

BSJR - Hope he's not holding a grudge about the tooth!
    We love TC. Hoping to move there after retirement - which will now be put off indefinitely due to reasons beyond our control.
    If you are ever in the area, let us know... we will do the same.

I also witnessed unspeakable cruelty done to children by the nuns. One incident involved having a boy wedged into a steel garbage can for a half hour. The kid was probably scarred for life. I wondered how he could breath but he did in fact survive the ordeal. I'm glad I was a good boy in school and never had to be degraded like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    I also witnessed unspeakable cruelty done to children by the nuns. One incident involved having a boy wedged into a steel garbage can for a half hour. The kid was probably scarred for life. I wondered how he could breath but he did in fact survive the ordeal. I'm glad I was a good boy in school and never had to be degraded like that.
    Oh, gag me. BSis, take care of your brother.

Really?? I don't remember this one. Who was it????

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Really?? I don't remember this one. Who was it????
    Actually this had the positive effect on this student He went on to bigger and brighter things

Z - too funny1

I'm hesitant to reveal the poor schmuck's name lest he be ridiculed in this public forum.
    TSom: PM me and I'll tell you privately.
    You know those classroom cans we had. Steel, about 30 inches tall. The nun made him sit in there, his feet came straight up and his butt went down in the can.

On a brighter note, it must be remembered that lay teachers also had free reign to "discipline" students.
    This one time, [[not in band camp)A male teacher heard me singing the Faygo Red Pop song in class. He stopped his lesson. He ordered me to the front of the room.
    Up I went to the blackboard where he was standing with my best "aw shucks" look on my face.
    In a move that is the moral equivalent of ripping your opponents heart out and showing it to him before he dies, teacher, eraser in hand, smacked me in the face with that eraser. The chalk dust laden eraser blew up a cloud of chalk dust that covered me and the kids in the first couple of rows.
    After the dust began to settle one could make out the image of me, in full whiteface, standing there stupified. I eventually took my seat, glad I wasn't sent into the "Human Garbage" can. Ahhh, the Wonder Years indeed.
    Last edited by Rumblefish; April-03-09 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm hesitant to reveal the poor schmuck's name lest he be ridiculed in this public forum.
    TSom: PM me and I'll tell you privately.
    You know those classroom cans we had. Steel, about 30 inches tall. The nun made him sit in there, his feet came straight up and his butt went down in the can.

On a brighter note, it must be remembered that lay teachers also had free reign to "discipline" students.
    This one time, [[not in band camp)Mr.Joseph heard me singing the Faygo Red Pop song in class. He stopped his lesson. He ordered me to the front of the room.
    Up I went to the blackboard where he was standing with my best "aw shucks" look on my face.
    In a move that is the moral equivalent of ripping your opponents heart out and showing it to him before he dies, Joseph, eraser in hand, smacked me in the face with that eraser. The chalk dust laden eraser blew up a cloud of chalk dust that covered me and the kids in the first couple of rows.
    After the dust began to settle one could make out the image of me, in full whiteface, standing there stupified. I eventually took my seat, glad I wasn't sent into the "Human Garbage" can. Ahhh, the Wonder Years indeed.
    I got the waste basket treatment at Burbank when I was [[wait for it) 6 years old. I was talking to someone in class, and the teacher, Miss Sauer, caught me and put me in a waste basket in the hallway. She must have been a convent reject.

While we are talking about the good sister. thought I'd retrieve this from the old archives.

CFG did you actually say this? Unbelievable how perceptions are so varied.

Actually, Sr. ER wasn't such a bad sort most of the time. I believe I took this picture with my Instamatic - without the flashcube - in the courtyard between 100 and the gym. I remember that she was almost the top vote getter in the Detroit News "Teacher's Apple" award. Students had to fill in forms and send them in, nominating their favorite teacher. The reason I remember this, is that she came in under the principal of Sacred Heart - Mr. Corbett - and my cousin's were rubbing it in that their teacher beat our teacher in votes. Don't ask me how I remember THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Oh, gag me. BSis, take care of your brother.
    Actually any torture JohnR received was probably needed.

Nah, I'm kidding. JohnR was truly a good kid. Not like me. He was quiet, but smart as a whip. He is a wordsmith to this day. As a child he kept us entertained at dinner time about his daily events.

I'm pretty pissed now about the eraser incident, if I had known back then, well, I'd kick that teachers ass.

But, as an adult, well.........I have my ways.

Help me out here. I don't remember Sr. Ellen Richard.

Does anyone remember that Sr. Paul Therese was so mean, there was a boy in 6th grade that was so afraid to ask her to go to the bathroom, he just knelt on the floor and peed his pants?

Actually this had the positive effect on this student He went on to bigger and brighter things
    Zitro.........LOVE THE PIC!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    BSJR - Hope he's not holding a grudge about the tooth!
    We love TC. Hoping to move there after retirement - which will now be put off indefinitely due to reasons beyond our control.
    If you are ever in the area, let us know... we will do the same.
    Well, you better get up here and look us up. You better bring lots of presents too, to make up for the tooth. Or, you could just pay for the replacement of it! LOL

While we are talking about the good sister. thought I'd retrieve this from the old archives.
    Zitro, where do you get these pictures?

BigSis

Zitro, where do you get these pictures?

BigSis

I copied them off the old thread, they are CFG's

Actually any torture JohnR received was probably needed.

Nah, I'm kidding. JohnR was truly a good kid. Not like me. He was quiet, but smart as a whip. He is a wordsmith to this day. As a child he kept us entertained at dinner time about his daily events.

I'm pretty pissed now about the eraser incident, if I had known back then, well, I'd kick that teachers ass.

But, as an adult, well.........I have my ways.

Help me out here. I don't remember Sr. Ellen Richard.

Does anyone remember that Sr. Paul Therese was so mean, there was a boy in 6th grade that was so afraid to ask her to go to the bathroom, he just knelt on the floor and peed his pants?
    SR. Ellen Richard was 4th grade/Room 100, the hallway room that connected the two halves of the school.
    There was also a pants wetting incident in her classroom due to fear of her. One of the boys was sitting in the back corner and was afraid to ask her to go that he just pee'd in his chair. And then SHE announced it to the whole class, AFTER she felt his pants to make sure it was him.
    Didn't you move to SJ after 4th grade?

Being the Catholic nun she is, I imagine she was trying to build character, instill empathy and promote the development of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Being the Catholic nun she is, I imagine she was trying to build character, instill empathy and promote the development of common sense.
    A reply to my own quote:

7, I don't know what still you've been dipping into, but the only promotin' going on was getting the he|| out of her class in June, and the empathy was just in your imagination, because the whole class of characters was rolling on the floor chortling their freaking arses off.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    A reply to my own quote:

7, I don't know what still you've been dipping into, but the only promotin' going on was getting the he|| out of her class in June, and the empathy was just in your imagination, because the whole class of characters was rolling on the floor chortling their freaking arses off.
    Actually, I don't recall any chortling going on. All I remember is a bunch of scared 10 year olds who didn't want to get blamed for the puddle on the floor, and didn't want to get punished for something they didn't do.

Page 5 of 263 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 105 ... LastLast