Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 251 of 263 FirstFirst ... 151 201 241 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 261 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,275 of 6559

A fantastic Sunday afternoon to enjoy an awesome organ recital and snap a few photos of our beloved St. Jude Church in the northeast side of Detroit.
    Name:  5_1_Crucifix.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  48.8 KB
    How many of you recall this Crucifix when it hung from the magnificent altar canopy?. It now resides in the former St. Joseph chapel next to the original baptistery.

Name:  5_1_St.Judebasket.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  54.6 KB
    St. Jude, help of the hopeless, aid us in our distress.
    The statue of our patron saint with a full petition basket.

Name:  5_1_OurLady.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  45.1 KB
    The Statue of Our Lady still located in the area [[west) where the "side altar" used to be located.
    Name:  5_1_St.Joseph.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  35.8 KB
    The St. Joseph statue has been moved to the south side of the "Blessed Mother side altar" [[west) and faces the statue of Our Lady.

Name:  5_1_arch.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  54.4 KB
    Romanesque arch with Corinthian column of St. Jude Church

Name:  5_1_St.JudeOrgan.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  50.9 KB
    main organ of St. Jude Church Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    A fantastic Sunday afternoon to enjoy an awesome organ recital and snap a few photos of our beloved St. Jude Church in the northeast side of Detroit.
    Name:  5_1_Crucifix.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  48.8 KB
    How many of you recall this Crucifix when it hung from the magnificent altar canopy?. It now resides in the former St. Joseph chapel next to the original baptistery.
    That's the one I remember

A great way to reconnect to St. Jude or just enjoy an afternoon of fantastic music is to attend today's [[May 1) Organ recital at St. Jude Church at 3 PM. See the Parish Website or St. Jude face book site for more details.

Great pics KR!! Those bring back a lot of memories

Wonderful pictures, KR ---We couldn't make the organ recital, but had been to all the previous recitals and each one was incredible! Glad you enjoyed the afternoon. I saw some posted pictures and our vestibule looked awesome.

We will be taking pictures this week as our school is completely "remade". Currently, the bulldozer took down the old "principal's office" and from Rex looking East, you can see clear to the gym. We are blessed that it sold, but it's sad after compiling the history of the school, to see some of it come down.

I'm surprised the ghosts of the nuns are chasing those bulldozers down 7 Mile with a yardstick

I know - I guess I thought they'd keep the same configuration - just "shore it up" a little!

"Times are a changin"

The demolition and reconstruction project
    Name:  5_1_incinerator.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  40.0 KB
    Name:  5_1_Maddelein_Side.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  51.5 KB
    Name:  5_1_sevenmile_looking_west.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  51.8 KB

Room 100 and the old principal's office are gone. The windows are all out. It is unclear as to how or if the two buildings are to be connected.

great pix of the church. notice the "bird chasers" on top of the pillar? One thing I can't figure out, the picture of the incinerator - what direction is that looking at? From the front or back of the school? Can't figure it out due to where the grass is. Also, did they take off a side of the front of the school by the gym? It kind of shows that in the 7 mile picture.

The current St. Jude Mass sign which is still in front of the gym - will be moved to front of the rectory facing 7 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    great pix of the church. notice the "bird chasers" on top of the pillar? One thing I can't figure out, the picture of the incinerator - what direction is that looking at? From the front or back of the school? Can't figure it out due to where the grass is. Also, did they take off a side of the front of the school by the gym? It kind of shows that in the 7 mile picture.
    The incinerator pic is taken in front of the school on 7 Mile looking toward the gym. They did take off a side of the school in front just west of the incinerator. If I recall correctly, that would be rooms 101 and 102.

I'm glad I took a lot of internal pics the day before we turned over the keys. I guess I never thought that would really be the LAST time! :-[[

May 1, 2011 St. Jude Church, Detroit Organ recital finale [[improvisation)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rpMeIS0AjE

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    The current St. Jude Mass sign which is still in front of the gym - will be moved to front of the rectory facing 7 mile.
    What will happen to the "ST JUDE" letters over the front gym door?

The incinerator pic is taken in front of the school on 7 Mile looking toward the gym. They did take off a side of the school in front just west of the incinerator. If I recall correctly, that would be rooms 101 and 102.
    Thanks, I just can't picture the door to the incinerator room facing 7 Mile, only remember the one in the back. And yes, they would be 101 and 102 - I was in 1-101 with Sr. Raymond Marie.

I video'd the first concert to bring home - hearing our magnificent organ played "full out" is a great experience. The St. Jude Letters will be given to us...not sure where we will use them.

just google mapped the church and saw that door on the front. funny thing, i never remembered it!

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    just google mapped the church and saw that door on the front. funny thing, i never remembered it!
    I think the door was added later. In fact, that whole incinerator section was an extention to the original incinerator. I think it was added at around the same time the Maddelein classrooms were added [[Fall of 1963) or the 6 classrooms on Maddelein [[that replaced the portables...in the Fall of 1965). I never noticed the front door to the incinerator either.

I video'd the first concert to bring home - hearing our magnificent organ played "full out" is a great experience. The St. Jude Letters will be given to us...not sure where we will use them.
    The You-Tube video posted here doesn't capture the grandeur of the St. Jude Church organ. The Church, as Fr. Jovita previously stated, was "booming".

You're right, KR - the posting doesn't capture the feeling of being in the church when all the stops are pulled out of the organ sound! Joe Balisteri does a great job of using the organ to it's fullest and is quite an awesome musician. He has been enamored with the history of our organ and for him, it's a pleasure and honor to come and play for us. It's definitely "Cathedral" music!

You're right, KR - the posting doesn't capture the feeling of being in the church when all the stops are pulled out of the organ sound! Joe Balisteri does a great job of using the organ to it's fullest and is quite an awesome musician. He has been enamored with the history of our organ and for him, it's a pleasure and honor to come and play for us. It's definitely "Cathedral" music!
    The theme of the recital placed 3 organist representing different areas of town...The west side, central, and east side. One of the organist, Andrew Galuska [[the one performing the finale improv on the video), represented the central and is music minister from the historic United Methodist Church in Detroit [[which has the 2nd largest organ in the state of Michigan). The recital, as CFG stated, was very "cathedral" indeed. Even the hockey playoff game scheduled at the same time didn't detract from this awesome event. . It's a great way to reconnect with one's Parish or just simply enjoy a mid Sunday afternoon of great music.