Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 256 of 263 FirstFirst ... 156 206 246 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,400 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I'm going to do my best to be there; we're going to CO around Oct 15th, but I am pushing for a return in time for the 29th. I don't remember if I RSVP'd on the SJ site or not
    Word is getting out here, on the Parish website, Parish facebook website, and the St. Jude Jets facebook site.
    Hope all the the DY SJ Nostalgia folks can attend in late October.

That's great! I didn't know there was a St. Jude Jets facebook site!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5152945...7626808749249/
    The Class of 1971 has been added.

Thanks so much for the addition! I think I can find one more missing year, and will let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Thanks so much for the addition! I think I can find one more missing year, and will let you know!
    Just like a jigsaw puzzle, it's possible that all the missing pieces might eventually be found. Keep em coming.

The weather is suppose to be getting warmer. Where y'all getting your icecream or custard?
    Tastee Freeze on Kelly
    7 and Brock Custard
    31 Flavors on Morang

I just up-dated the web site - the Concelebrated Mass with Bishop Donald Hanchon and Fr. Jovita will begin on Saturday at 4:00p.m. The dinner and silent auction will follow immediately at the Harper Woods Community Center. Tickets are $35/ea. It sure wold be nice to fill up a couple of those tables with some DYES regulars!

Tastee Freeze on Kelly for Sure! Dad would round up the kids on the block and off we'd go! 31 flavors on Morang was saved for the ice cream cakes for Mother's Day!

My favorite time of the Tastee Freez year was the first week they opened. I think it was usually in March or early April and they would have a special gift every day of the week. Stuff like keychains and rainhats, which in retrospect are really odd things to use to attract small children, but it worked on me. They also had a special price on one item each day, like a hot fudge sunday for 10 cents or a cone with free dip. I loved dipped cones as a little kid but gradually grew into slushes, especially grape or cherry

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    My favorite time of the Tastee Freez year was the first week they opened. I think it was usually in March or early April and they would have a special gift every day of the week. Stuff like keychains and rainhats, which in retrospect are really odd things to use to attract small children, but it worked on me. They also had a special price on one item each day, like a hot fudge sunday for 10 cents or a cone with free dip. I loved dipped cones as a little kid but gradually grew into slushes, especially grape or cherry
    Love Tastee Freeze slushes. Please tell me you still have their key chain.

Have to say, a huge treat was the trip to 31 flavors for a rootbeer float with rocky rocky road float.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    The weather is suppose to be getting warmer. Where y'all getting your icecream or custard?
    Tastee Freeze on Kelly
    7 and Brock Custard
    31 Flavors on Morang
    KR, I shall make a short trip thru the alley between Eastwood and Fordham from Redmond over to George's Party Time, aka, the beer store, for a couple of cherry Mr. Freezes and some packs of Topps baseball cards.

Was there ever a "George" that anyone knows of? I don't think there was a summer day that we did't ride our bikes up there for something! We got our kites for Heilman/St. Jude Playfield from Faircrest market at the corner of Faircrest and Hayes.

Our side of Kelly and 7 use 'the penny candy store' on Kelly north of Roscommon or Merit drugs for our kiting and candy needs.

Supreme Drugs - was our "Merits" on Hayes just S of 7.

Tastee Freeze was the place to go for banana splits - somehow I lost my spoon recently. Kites and candy and pop were always bought at Ross Drugs on Morang and Whitehill. Rocky Road was my favorite at 31 Flavors on Morang - really hated that I passed it on my bike each day as I rode my bike home from Arthur. In the winter as well.

Was Ross Drugs ever re-named "Morang Drugs"? Was it next to the Henney Penny Chicken Place?

Was Ross Drugs ever re-named "Morang Drugs"? Was it next to the Henney Penny Chicken Place?
    Great trivia question CFG. Your inquiry shows how provincial we could be. I'll bet someone who lived in the St. Jude "blue" or south "cherry" section would know. I do recall Normandy Optical being on Morang between Payton and Riad [[spent many hours with glasses repair there)and Henny Penny being on the same block [[not 100% sure). Was Ross Drugs on the corner? Wasn't there a shoe repair shop around the corner on Payton?

Yes, KR, shoe repair WAS around that corner. I remember going with my Dad to get his shoes re-soled, or Mom's purse sewn if it ripped.

Great trivia question CFG. Your inquiry shows how provincial we could be. I'll bet someone who lived in the St. Jude "blue" or south "cherry" section would know. I do recall Normandy Optical being on Morang between Payton and Riad [[spent many hours with glasses repair there)and Henny Penny being on the same block [[not 100% sure). Was Ross Drugs on the corner? Wasn't there a shoe repair shop around the corner on Payton?
    Long live the Blue Section!!!!!!!! Blues rule!!!!!!!!!

Now, you are in my neck of the woods. Ross Drugs never went under another name until it was sold in the 1980's. The pharmacist was a guy named Angelo Franco who used to prescribe meds for my family just by us coming in and asking for them - he used Dr. Franco, and they were never more than maybe antibiotics or mild pain relievers. There was a shoe repair and butcher shop on Payton just down from Morang. Also, behind Ross Drugs on the corner of Morang and Whitehill was a small shoe repair shop run by an old guy named Frank DeSantis. He did good work, but always scared us kids - quite the crumudgeion.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Long live the Blue Section!!!!!!!! Blues rule!!!!!!!!!

Now, you are in my neck of the woods. Ross Drugs never went under another name until it was sold in the 1980's. The pharmacist was a guy named Angelo Franco who used to prescribe meds for my family just by us coming in and asking for them - he used Dr. Franco, and they were never more than maybe antibiotics or mild pain relievers. There was a shoe repair and butcher shop on Payton just down from Morang. Also, behind Ross Drugs on the corner of Morang and Whitehill was a small shoe repair shop run by an old guy named Frank DeSantis. He did good work, but always scared us kids - quite the crumudgeion.
    Your're right Laing..I thought Ross Drugs was further down on Morang as you stated. What business was on Payton and Morang across from Chatam? So there was a shoe repair on both Payton and Whitehill?

Trivia question? How many shoe repair places were there in the St. Jude Parish area back in the day?
    Last edited by kellyroad; June-15-11 at 11:44 AM.

ahh, Ross Drugs, was too "blue" for me - I was thinking of the drug store across the street from Indian Village Cleaners. I remember the butcher shop too - and also the one that was a Parkgrove and Morang. I think between Butcher Shops, Shoe repair places, Beer Stores and Bakeries - we cornered the market in our little corner of the world!

Your're right Laing..I thought Ross Drugs was further down on Morang as you stated. What business was on Payton and Morang across from Chatam? So there was a shoe repair on both Payton and Whitehill?

Trivia question? How many shoe repair places were there in the St. Jude Parish area back in the day?
    In the strip between Payton and Riad on Morang were of course Sapphire Gift Shop where all blue section members bought their mom's a gift at least 10 times, Normandy Optical, a dry cleaners of which I can't remember the name, a pizza place in the 70's, a surf shop in the late 70's of which Larry Stover of Denby 74 worked there, the grocery whose name was Krupa's in the 60's, then another grocery named Morang Drive something - they painted the walls with pictures of vegetables, then it was a stereo shop. You have to remember, across Morang from Chatham was a gas station, and they also used to sell Christmas Trees on the corner of that lot on Morang and Payton. Remember as a kid, we used to walk between the trees thinking of it as a jungle, until we were chased out of there. Funny thing, there was an alley behind the strip on Morang between Payton and Riad. I found a claw hammer and a ball pean hammer of which I still use. Good memories.

I remember the florist that held out to the bitter end at across from Chatham's on the N side of Morang - when they built the Burger King. It ended up just closing.
    I think we bought a few trees from the Morang lot!

Ok, where are the St. Jude Slackers?

Ok, where are the St. Jude Slackers?
    Sorry, doing a cleanup in rm 109.