Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 253 of 263 FirstFirst ... 153 203 243 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,325 of 6559

I remember that butcher shop and we always shopped at the Wooden Shoe. Indian Village Cleaners was in the last in that strip with the parking lot right next door. Chinese Place was to the East - and we'd knock on the wall when we wanted some of their french fries [[incredible) and we'd meet in the back behind the buildings. Quit that job because they made me choose between the job and going to a 1972 Tiger playoff game. Like that was a big decision! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I remember that butcher shop and we always shopped at the Wooden Shoe. Indian Village Cleaners was in the last in that strip with the parking lot right next door. Chinese Place was to the East - and we'd knock on the wall when we wanted some of their french fries [[incredible) and we'd meet in the back behind the buildings. Quit that job because they made me choose between the job and going to a 1972 Tiger playoff game. Like that was a big decision! :-)

the grocery store long ago was Krupa's. It then changed some names, and for the life of me, I can't remember them. I do remember being on the 3rd floor of Denby and seeing the place when it had pictures of vegtables painted on the walls. Do you remember when Krupa's burned?

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Right 7&K - Eddie was eatsht and Eugene,Gene the Dancin' Machine was goblow
    I get them confused. They both ran away in a huff.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    CFG, you are correct. In that strip, there also was Normandy Optical, a pizzeria later, another dry cleaner, a surf shop later, think there was a butcher shop around the corner on Payton, and I can't remember what was at the corner, maybe a drug store? Indian Village cleaners was in the middle of Wooden Shoe bakery and the Chinese place, right? And, someone did get the name of the gift shop at 7 and Kelly. Unfortunately, I've slept since then and don't remember the name.
    I don't know about the gift shop at 7 and Kelly, but "the Chinese place" was Pagoda's and my family got carry out from there quite often and also used Indian Village cleaners a lot too. CampfireGirl might very well have waited on my mother at some point!

10 more minutes and we would be yesterday's news. Question, which priest were you closest to? Mine would have been Fr. Eckert [[sp). He was the chaplin for scouts and was pretty active with us. Very sincere. CFG, how is the demo and remodeling going? I saw on their website, class will be open in the fall. Seems kind of quick for me.

Father Grady, because he used to come to our house, take off his collar, player poker and have a shot or two with Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Father Grady, because he used to come to our house, take off his collar, player poker and have a shot or two with Dad.
    I always heard Fr. Grady enjoyed a little libation or 2 at times. Anyone remember Fr. Echlin? Seems he had cancer, maybe throat, and came back after surgery for a short time and had a scar on his throat.

10 more minutes and we would be yesterday's news. Question, which priest were you closest to? Mine would have been Fr. Eckert [[sp). He was the chaplin for scouts and was pretty active with us. Very sincere. CFG, how is the demo and remodeling going? I saw on their website, class will be open in the fall. Seems kind of quick for me.
    Fr. O'Callaghan was close to the family and was always a favorite with the kids in school. He had great compassion and was a source of comfort in the time of sickness and distress.
    Last edited by kellyroad; May-13-11 at 06:44 PM.

I always heard Fr. Grady enjoyed a little libation or 2 at times. Anyone remember Fr. Echlin? Seems he had cancer, maybe throat, and came back after surgery for a short time and had a scar on his throat.
    Fr. Grady was the 1st "modern" [[circa Vatican Council) priest I recall at SJ...an ultra hip progressive with an Irish smile that charmed many in the Parish. His sermons often used modern day analogies that resonated with civil rights issues. I do recall people getting up in the middle of his sermon stating "I don't have to take this" and leaving in a huff. His views on birth control deviated from the Vatican teaching. [[I interviewed him for a 9th grade religion project and his views were, especially for that time, far different than what the Dominican sisters taught). Never the less, he had the boyish charm, quick wit and seemed for the most part always friendly and fun to be with.

I do recall Fr. Echlin vaguely but am unfamiliar with his health issues.
    Last edited by kellyroad; May-13-11 at 07:15 PM.

7&Kelly and KR collaborted on a photo/video adventure of St. Jude Parish today.

Let's start with a photo mystery located on St. Jude Parish campus.
    .Name:  sjmysteryone.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  64.3 KB
    Any guesses?

Furnace door?

I amend to coal chute at the rectory.
    Last edited by jcole; May-13-11 at 10:22 PM.

Was the school heated with coal burning boilers or did we have gas? I'm in a debate about this. Does anyone know?

Vox Guest

I will say milk chute just because of the size.

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    I will say milk chute just because of the size.
    It is indeed the milk chute located by the rear rectory door.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    7&Kelly and KR collaborted on a photo/video adventure of St. Jude Parish today.

Let's start with a photo mystery located on St. Jude Parish campus.
    .Name:  sjmysteryone.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  64.3 KB
    Any guesses?
    I shouldn't guess since I was collaborating on this shoot, but since it's too big for a milk chute and too small for coal, maybe it was used for walk up confessions by murderers after hours.

No, that would be too current of an application; remember the church was built in the 50's. I'm guessing if it's a milkchute they had to use that type of door to be able to attach it to the sandstone
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I shouldn't guess since I was collaborating on this shoot, but since it's too big for a milk chute and too small for coal, maybe it was used for walk up confessions by murderers after hours.

St. Jude mystery photo #2
    Any guesses?
    Name:  sjmysterytwo.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  15.1 KB

It looks like inside one of the old church lights

definitely a light somewhere. question comes up, what happened to those red chandoliers [[sp) that aren't there anymore?

Does anyone know if the school burned coal for the boilers back in our day at SJS?

It is a light. What kind? where?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Does anyone know if the school burned coal for the boilers back in our day at SJS?
    I don't ever recall coal [[or oil) being supplied to fuel the boilers. I know some of the homes on Eastwood had coal shutes, many were switched to oil, then of course gas.

"Knock and the door shall be open"

Name:  sjsidedoor.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  38.3 KB

"Around the block"
    The video gives an idea of what the latest is in the partial demolition and reconstruction of St. Jude school and gym. [[again, thanks to the collaboration of 7&Kelly for the video). The school will reopen as a charter school in the fall.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWf79cS4GXI

You guys did an awesome job with the video and pictures! I think more people realize now, that though it's sad to see our school be reconfigured - but selling it, may have saved our church! - and we sold it to an outstanding charter school organization - all good! We still have major debts to overcome, but we WILL continue to be a beacon of hope on the East side!