Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 258 of 263 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 LastLast
Results 6,426 to 6,450 of 6559

Did you ever have a chance to visit Fr. Ording's cottage or go on a golf outing with him?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Did you ever have a chance to visit Fr. Ording's cottage or go on a golf outing with him?
    As I've mentioned before, my [[non-Catholic at the time) dad had a good friend who was a priest and also a good friend of Fr. Ording's. From that connection grew a friendship between Pa & Fr. Pa always called him "Fr. Joe". He was at our house often & we were at his cottage on Lake Orion a few times. I think Fr. liked having a friend who wasn't one of "his flock". It seemed the friendship cooled somewhat after Pa converted. Strange, huh?

I have a friend here who's a priest but wasn't my pastor. I've recently started attending Mass at his church but it hasn't effected our friendship. I call him "Father" around church but just by his first name when we're just hanging out. That seems to be the way he likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    As I've mentioned before, my [[non-Catholic at the time) dad had a good friend who was a priest and also a good friend of Fr. Ording's. From that connection grew a friendship between Pa & Fr. Pa always called him "Fr. Joe". He was at our house often & we were at his cottage on Lake Orion a few times. I think Fr. liked having a friend who wasn't one of "his flock". It seemed the friendship cooled somewhat after Pa converted. Strange, huh?

I have a friend here who's a priest but wasn't my pastor. I've recently started attending Mass at his church but it hasn't effected our friendship. I call him "Father" around church but just by his first name when we're just hanging out. That seems to be the way he likes it.
    Great story. Thanks for sharing, EB. BTW, are you planning on attending the gala in Oct?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Great story. Thanks for sharing, EB. BTW, are you planning on attending the gala in Oct?
    Hope to. What's the date again? Too lazy to go through all the posts. Want to get it on the calendar.

The event will be held on October 29th. There will be a concelebrated Mass at 4:00pm with the Anniversary/Reunion/Silent Auction held immediately after at the Harper Woods Community Center. Tickets should be available shortly. I believe they just came in this week.

St. Jude web site has been up-dated to include some details on the new school administration. I know folks find it sad that it's no longer "St. Jude School" - however, some of those folks never saw it, boarded and disintegrating before the sale! These folks have done an incredibly AWESOME job of up-dating the school and creating the same "feel" that St. Jude School always had

Looking at the brand new windows and doors, newly poured concrete around the school and a "campus" like appearance will certainly enhance the value of our parish property and hopefully bring us more parishioners as we continue to return to new growth!

It has been fascinating to assemble an Anniversary memory book. It's a work still in progress, but I was glad to read that the original renovation plans called for the painting over of all the murals on the ceiling, and near the windows! Pictures of these beautiful murals will be included in the booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Mrs. Sullivan??

Mrs. Sullivan??
    Yes indeedy, former SJS teacher Chris Taylor [[who I don't remember at all) is posting a bunch of pics from his days at St. Jude and I saw this wonderful nugget

WOW - I don't remember the office being paneled when it was in the connecting hall, but it WAS paneled when it was in the office off of 7 mile road. Does anyone remember when the office moved? Mrs. Sullivan lived in an upper flat on Fordham, if I remember right. I know my Mom was always hoping she'd retire so she could apply for the school secretary job.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    WOW - I don't remember the office being paneled when it was in the connecting hall, but it WAS paneled when it was in the office off of 7 mile road. Does anyone remember when the office moved? Mrs. Sullivan lived in an upper flat on Fordham, if I remember right. I know my Mom was always hoping she'd retire so she could apply for the school secretary job.
    She lived with the Zajdel's

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    She lived with the Zajdel's
    CFG you probably could have thrown a softball from your front yard to the Zajdel's driveway. Seriously. She did rent the upstairs of the Zajdel home [[5 houses east of Rex on the north side of Lindhurst) I recall that during the time I hung out with Greg. Someone posted a fond remembrance of her on another website...recalling how Mrs, Sullivan would walk to school along Rex purse at the elbow and folders in hand..like clockwork everyday. My recollection of her was in the principal's office off Maddelein [[window to the patio)...There were two desks in that office...She gave rest and reassurance to the sick or injured kids and at times made going to the principal's office more bearable [[not that I would know first hand).

All this leads to another poll question? Besides Mrs. Sullivan, Mrs Huevre, Fr. Ording, Jean Ording, can anyone recall anyone assigned or employed at St. Jude for as many years?

CFG you probably could have thrown a softball from your front yard to the Zajdel's driveway. Seriously. She did rent the upstairs of the Zajdel home [[5 houses east of Rex on the north side of Lindhurst) I recall that during the time I hung out with Greg. Someone posted a fond remembrance of her on another website...recalling how Mrs, Sullivan would walk to school along Rex purse at the elbow and folders in hand..like clockwork everyday. My recollection of her was in the principal's office off Maddelein [[window to the patio)...There were two desks in that office...She gave rest and reassurance to the sick or injured kids and at times made going to the principal's office more bearable [[not that I would know first hand).

All this leads to another poll question? Besides Mrs. Sullivan, Mrs Huevre, Fr. Ording, Jean Ording, can anyone recall anyone assigned or employed at St. Jude for as many years?
    How about Frank Bartilino, the janitor supreme. Wasn't he there longer than dirt?

Whoops, I meant Lindhurst, not Fordham. Yes, Mrs. Sullivan was the "Grandma" of us all! What about janitor Frank Gogolewski - wasn't he there for ages? His daughter still comes to Mass at St. Jude.

I thought Frank was Bartilino?

It was Walter Gogoleski and Frank DeSantis. And, to be truly honest, I do not remember Mrs. Sullivan. Guess only those who were sent to the office so much would remember her. haha

I'm sure it was Bartilino; he lived on my street about 3 houses from the church
    Wasn't DeSantis a priest?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I'm sure it was Bartilino; he lived on my street about 3 houses from the church
    Wasn't DeSantis a priest?

I seem to recall a DeSantis associated with the Credit Union and he was part of the Funeral Home family

It was a Walter Gogolewski, for sure - don't remember the Bartilino. We did have a priest, Fr. Charles DeSantis from 1953- 1955

I know that we had a head janitor named Frank, and I think it was Bartilino. Like I said, he lived on Maddelein in the second house off of the corner next to Roache's

I'm sure you're right about Frank, I don't remember him - but just the reference to "Go Go". Wasn't the incinerator in the playground square between 4-100 and the gym? I remember watching them out the window - while they were throwing cardboard boxes in there.

The reason I am so adamantly sure that Frank B was the janitor is because of the following, somewhat embarrassing story:
    When I was about 5 yrs old, my dad came home with a framed pen and ink portrait of Abraham Lincoln, which had hung in SJS for a number of years, and said 'They're doing some clean up at the school, and Frank down the street gave me this'. [[I think there was also a Washington pic too, but that doesn't figure in for this story). They hung it up downstairs above the chalkboard where I played school, and there is stayed. Well, one night, not too far down the road, my older sister and her boyfriend were in the basement, making out on the couch across for the chalk board and I came down to play. I wouldn't leave, thereby causing the boyfriend to tell me 'There is going to be a total eclipse soon [[I think this was in '62) and when it happens, Lincoln is going to come out of that picture and get you and drag you back in there with him and you'll never get out'. [[Yeah, nice guy; at least my sister didn't marry that one) I totally freaked out and ran screaming out of the basement and would not go back down there as long as that picture was on the wall. My dad told me he threw it out so it wouldn't get me so I would go back in the basement. Unfortunately, he hid it in a closet and I found it not too long afterward, and from that point on I did not go in the basement alone until I was about 14 yrs old. Someone had to either walk me down or stand at the top of the steps until I got the lights on and made sure everything was fine.
    I blamed poor Frank for giving that picture to my dad for a LONG time. And had an irrational fear of Lincoln for even longer. I still don't like looking at pictures of him in his stovepipe hat.

We "won" goldfish at the 1st St. Jude Mardi Gras in 2007 and they're still alive - I wonder if the planners fished them out of the big goldfish tank at Kresges? We always seem to come home with one from the Houston-Whittier store!