Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 257 of 263 FirstFirst ... 157 207 247 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 ... LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    Ok, where are the St. Jude Slackers?
    Slackers ... or shellackers? Schools out so it's time for our Dads to get to work refinishing the little wooden chairs for the lower grades. They already had us sanding down the books.

Ok, where are the St. Jude Slackers?
    Heading over to the blacktop, then George's Party store, then to Heilmann [[diamond #4) then open swim at 3:30, then dinner [[St. Jude Bells will let me know if I'm late), then baseball on the Eastwood/Redmond corner, then the Tastee Freeze with the family [[even though the Good Humor man and Mr. Softee will be making their rounds)...The street lights will be coming on late tonight....so it should be a long day.
    Any of you guys want to join in and just hang out?....You can even join us at the Tastee Freeze...There'll be two windows open so the lines should go pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Heading over to the blacktop, then George's Party store, then to Heilmann [[diamond #4) then open swim at 3:30, then dinner [[St. Jude Bells will let me know if I'm late), then baseball on the Eastwood/Redmond corner, then the Tastee Freeze with the family [[even though the Good Humor man and Mr. Softee will be making their rounds)...The street lights will be coming on late tonight....so it should be a long day.
    Any of you guys want to join in and just hang out?....You can even join us at the Tastee Freeze...There'll be two windows open so the lines should go pretty fast.
    Was Mr. Softee the musical truck? That was always welcome on Eastwood, but I'd rather have a Good Humor rootbeer popsicle any day.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Was Mr. Softee the musical truck? That was always welcome on Eastwood, but I'd rather have a Good Humor rootbeer popsicle any day.
    Yes, Wasn't the the tune "Pop goes the weasel"? Anyone remember?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Slackers ... or shellackers? Schools out so it's time for our Dads to get to work refinishing the little wooden chairs for the lower grades. They already had us sanding down the books.
    Don't forget the brown paper book covers or contact paper.

I forgot all about the annual 'Sanding of the Books'

We never had the music on the good humor trucks - just the row of bells that the driver would pull!
    I forgot about the "sanding of the books" too! I do remember washing all the blackboards on/near the last day. I think I still have my Religion book from the 3rd grade covered int he clear contact paper! I'm putting together a "memory" table at the Anniversary dinner. I'll try to pull together some of that stuff. I already found my Campfire Girl felt Bolero -with a colorful assembly of beads - and my St. Jude Sweatshirt.

Bring the first grade reader book.

Did anyone ever steal a wimple? That would make a nice display item.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did anyone ever steal a wimple? That would make a nice display item.
    Hope not. There's likely a curse for that.

Never did see a Dominican Nun in civilian clothes or modified habit while at SJ.
    Did they each iron their own wimples or coifs?. Did the convent have a large press iron and industrial washing machines and dryers? ...may seem like silly question..but that era of strict adherence to a religious dress code [[and with students) is a world that seems so foreign to just the next generation.

By the time we were in about 7th grade, some of the nuns were wearing the short dress with the headband style veils. Sr. Joyce was one of the early adopters.

I think the only nun I remember in the short dress was Sister Joyce, though Sr. Marie Christine wore a modified veil. When we graduated, it was still during the transition time. At Regina, the nuns were in modified veils, and habits, but no short habits and no "civilian" clothes.

I was going to add Sr. Marie Christine and her headband veil, but then I thought I may have imagined it. Thanks for posting that, CFG

I just typed up the page for former nuns and priests and tried to visualize them. I had forgotten so many! I'm up to page 70 of our Anniversary book and I still keep going! I'll never get this to the publisher on time!

I just typed up the page for former nuns and priests and tried to visualize them. I had forgotten so many! I'm up to page 70 of our Anniversary book and I still keep going! I'll never get this to the publisher on time!
    Could I please have a signed copy of the first edition? Please, please.

that's right, I'll be a published author! darn the luck, Oprah's book club is history, and I'll have a best seller on my hands!

page 2? Come on Jets!!!

Poll questions:

What route did you go to school and church?
    Did you go home for lunch or stay at school?

To school: Eastwood east to Rex then 2 blocks north to crossing guards at 7 Mile. In later grades during the times when lunch was at home.:..west to Redmond, north to blacktop, cut across on the diagonal and make it to the 8th grade class by 2nd bell.
    To church: always Eastwood east to Rex then north to 7Mile [[Many of the neighbors were concerned that there wasn't a crossing light at Redmond where 7 Mile/Moross traffic would whip around the the 7Mile-Moross curve without slowing down..This was a particular concern when 7 Mile was widened by 2 lanes in the early 60s). As far as lunch was concerned, during the years when there were some great games of keep away or touch football, eating lunch at school was a must.....shaving minutes off of the commute time was important when choosing teams. [[even though the blacktop was only a minute away from home)

Poll questions:

What route did you go to school and church?
    Did you go home for lunch or stay at school?

To school: Eastwood east to Rex then 2 blocks north to crossing guards at 7 Mile. In later grades during the times when lunch was at home.:..west to Redmond, north to blacktop, cut across on the diagonal and make it to the 8th grade class by 2nd bell.
    To church: always Eastwood east to Rex then north to 7Mile [[Many of the neighbors were concerned that there wasn't a crossing light at Redmond where 7 Mile/Moross traffic would whip around the the 7Mile-Moross curve without slowing down..This was a particular concern when 7 Mile was widened by 2 lanes in the early 60s). As far as lunch was concerned, during the years when there were some great games of keep away or touch football, eating lunch at school was a must.....shaving minutes off of the commute time was important when choosing teams. [[even though the blacktop was only a minute away from home)
    Laing north to Moross, west on Moross to St. Jude.
    For lunch, always took it. First few years I had my Bonanza lunch box with the thermos with a yellow cup. After the thermos broke - I then brown bagged it. Mom always wrote my full name with grade and room number underneath. Bought white milk, thought the chocolate tasted like oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJAsDyGXAo
    The reconstruction progress of the school building.
    [[recorded on June 28, 2011)

How many times have you traveled along 7 Mile and noticed the large 'ST JUDE' sign above the gym door or the stone cross above the front school door? The most recent video shows they are absent.
    ...Feeling a little bit nostalgic.

How many times have you traveled along 7 Mile and noticed the large 'ST JUDE' sign above the gym door or the stone cross above the front school door? The most recent video shows they are absent.
    what gets me is the fact that the crosses are down from over the doors. Also, little help. What is the deal with the front door of the school and the front door on the gym on 7 Mile? Can't figure if they are just putting a wide narrow window in there or what.

Anyone know if CFG got the letters for the church to put somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    what gets me is the fact that the crosses are down from over the doors. Also, little help. What is the deal with the front door of the school and the front door on the gym on 7 Mile? Can't figure if they are just putting a wide narrow window in there or what.
    On close inspection, it looks like two doors on the front of the school and gym. They may be temporary. I wonder if they'll eventually match the aluminum looking doors on the Maddelein side.