Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 242 of 263 FirstFirst ... 142 192 232 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 252 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 6559

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    I got tossed out of Divine Heart Seminary - Donaldson, IN - in 1961. Does that count?

My sister [[class of '54) was an Adrian Dominican for 20+ years.

My SJS & ND classmate, Bob Nally, is a priest in the Gaylord diocese the last I knew.
    and Bob Nally lived on Faircrest just a few houses down from CFG, and KR had the same Detroit News paper route as Bob Nally [[3 paperboys away). Bob Nally> KR's next door neighbor>next door neighbor's brother>KR). Bob also taught and coached soccer at NDHW. Bob's bother John was in my class. ...The six degrees of separation just got smaller.
    Not to be comical, EB, but you do bring up an interesting point...that is how many SJ students entered the seminary or convent and actually stayed until their vows and how many of them stayed on after. I don't recall anyone from the mid 60s, but right in our neighborhood in the triangle, Avery, McGrath, and Nally, are three in the late 50s that entered the religious life. I know of at least one that dropped out. I recall going to athletic directors' meetings in the mid to late 90s at Sacred Heart Seminary and noticing the class pictures on the walls in chronological order. The 40s and S were jammed with graduates but as I walked down the hall it was obvious that there were only a handful of recent graduates in the 90s. St. Jude mirrored what was going on at the time. One would think that, St. Jude being one of the largest parishes, would have its share of religious novices. I further wonder if there were certain schools and/parishes that were more or less conducive in promoting the religious life....Were certain orders of nuns more or less progressive [[or aggressive) in promoting the religious life?....just a thought.
    Last edited by kellyroad; February-18-11 at 11:37 PM.

My 7th grade nun [[Sr. Rose Genevieve, if I recall correctly) had a nephew who was a pre-ordination member of the Priests of the Sacred Heart and hence had a lot of vocation material from them. She's the one who got me hooked.

Much is discussed about the priest shortage, but perhaps the nun shortage has been more impactful.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Much is discussed about the priest shortage, but perhaps the nun shortage has been more impactful.
    Nun the less you're probably right. [[Sorry, Mea Copa)

I think you're right 7K. I was trying to think back on the nuns that made an impact on my life and they were all great up until the 8th grade - and though she was trying to "be cool" Sr. Joyce never, ever seemed like a nun to me - and Sr. Marie Christine - who we all thought antiquated at the time - was the best teacher.

The nun that made the biggest impression on me was Sr. Ellen Richard, and that was on my knuckles.

I still have to go with Sr. Paul Therese. She was one of those fair but firm types. Always had a 'fun' outlook and still was a teacher that commanded respect. I guess all the teachers had to back then, when anything less than 50 students was a small class.

Quote Originally Posted by Campfire Girl View Post
    I still have to go with Sr. Paul Therese. She was one of those fair but firm types. Always had a 'fun' outlook and still was a teacher that commanded respect. I guess all the teachers had to back then, when anything less than 50 students was a small class.
    Any nun that would pull a tv into our room to let us watch the World Series is okay in my book

Sr. Joel Marie [[later changed to Sr. Sabina Jabour) was tops in my book. I still treasure a small plastic nativity scene she gave me. We wrote for a while. Now I need to find those letters.

Sr. Robert Marie was a great teacher of the faith I maintain. Unfortunately, much of the attacks on the Church she predicted has come to pass.

Sr. Ruth Adamitis was nice, ... , too nice maybe for a middle school class that likely intrepreted it as weakness.

Sr. Francis Winifred's class was focused on learning since you would be foolish to test her. Love and appreciation for the poor was preached daily.

Sr. Judeen [[our singing nun) taught us "Sons of God, hear His holy word..." , and a few other neat songs we sang to her guitar.

7K - you brought back great memories of Sister Robert Marie! She was certainly ahead of her time in predicting events that we thought were "never gonna happen". Who would have dreamed that babies would be disposable? but that's for another time...
    Sr. Judeen!!! OMG, I had totally forgotten about her - do you remember what class/classroom she was in - I definitely remember her, but she had totally dropped off my St. jude Radar!

Boy, you guys have much better memories than I do; I don't remember Sr. Judeen at all or Sr. Ruth or Sr. Francis and all I remember about Sr. Robert Marie was reading class, but I didn't have her for homeroom. I vaguely remember Sr. Joel Marie.
    I was terrified of Sr. Paul Therese, but I think that's the way she wanted it. It was cool that she let us bring in the TV for the Series that year.

I couldn't remember without an 'assist'. Didn't we exchange classes with Sister Robert Marie w/Mrs. Huget? - Did we exchange classes with Sister Marie Raymond and Mrs. Warzyniak?

I though Robert Marie was with Mrs. Warzyniak in 5th grade and Sr. Marie Raymond was 7th grade with Miss Sayers. I could be wrong on that.

7K - you brought back great memories of Sister Robert Marie! She was certainly ahead of her time in predicting events that we thought were "never gonna happen". Who would have dreamed that babies would be disposable? but that's for another time...
    Sr. Judeen!!! OMG, I had totally forgotten about her - do you remember what class/classroom she was in - I definitely remember her, but she had totally dropped off my St. jude Radar!
    I do have a question about this, being a self abosrbed teenager at the time Roe v. Wade was passed about the only political thing I was aware of was the Vietnam War. I was thinking about this the other day and I would have been a sophmore/junior at ND when Roe was passed. I do not recall much outrage from the Catholic community reagrding this and ceratinly nothing in school.

It could have been there was a lot of debate but I wasn't paying attention. Does anyone else recall a gathering of the troops to protest this decision in the Detroit area?

I don't remember anything about it either. I can only guess that the nuns didn't want to discuss abortion with teenage girls who had no idea what it was anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Boy, you guys have much better memories than I do; I don't remember Sr. Judeen at all or Sr. Ruth or Sr. Francis and all I remember about Sr. Robert Marie was reading class, but I didn't have her for homeroom. I vaguely remember Sr. Joel Marie.
    I was terrified of Sr. Paul Therese, but I think that's the way she wanted it. It was cool that she let us bring in the TV for the Series that year.
    Memory nothing. I think.it was Sr. Marie Raymond, not Sr. Robert Marie. It wasn't abortion, but persecution of the church and apathy mostly she warned of.

I'm not sure how long Sr. Judeen was at St. Jude, but I remember visiting her 3rd grade class room [[2nd door from Rex, N side of the S hallway - I think). She was a young nun, and one of the first I can remember to wear the modern habit with the simpler softer headpiece. "Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya, ... , O Lord, kum bay ya ... "

so I was going through a trunk in my garage, and look what Laing found!! Still looking for other St. Jude stuff. CFG, could you take this for the 70th anniv trivia that you are collecting?
    Name:  control paper.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  21.0 KB

Absolutely, Laing! What an interesting arrangements of artifacts we will have from the old school. Glad I did some scarfing around while it was open and ours.
    @Zitro - I do NOT remember any outrage at that time. I believe 7K is right - it was total apathy that had a hand in our not remembering any "big deal" about the vote. I surely don't remember any church out cry - or any discussion. Surely the ramifications of that act were never envisioned by most.

I remember Sr. Judeen teaching 5th grade, she was my homeroom teacher. She left St Jude's partway through the school year. Her last day teaching was a very sad day indeed. I think she was probably my favorite nun. Her classroom that year was at the end of the hall, the classroom closest to the corner of Maddelein and Rex. I'm totally drawing a blank on the room number.

The only 'Singing Nun' I remember was Sr. Dominic Michael in 2nd grade.

2nd grade I was still at AG, so I don't remember her. The nuns were sure well versed in a variety of subjects - from music to the basics. I still remember Sister Marie Christine and Sister Paul Therese at Christmas time. Sister Paul Therese still teaches reading to those needing remedial help. Awesome!

2nd grade I was still at AG, so I don't remember her. The nuns were sure well versed in a variety of subjects - from music to the basics. I still remember Sister Marie Christine and Sister Paul Therese at Christmas time. Sister Paul Therese still teaches reading to those needing remedial help. Awesome!
    Kool I cood yuse herr hellp

I will let her know - PLEASE tell me you weren't in our classes up in the gym in 6th grade!

I will let her know - PLEASE tell me you weren't in our classes up in the gym in 6th grade!
    Oh, yes he was.