Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Your timing is incredible. I just saw this pic of Kitty Kelly:

pic didn't post

JC: Behind the man and the hippo is the south side parking lot. Walk around the building [[ND side) and you'll eventually end up on the south side of Kroger where curb side loading of groceries was available. On the left side of the picture just out of view was the WWJ auxilliary broadcasting station adjacent to the garden center. Bob Allison [[Bowling for Dollars host and Milky the Clown's delivery man) broadcasted from there.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    pic didn't post
    Kitty Kelly retry:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...art=1;resnum=8

Hmm, seem to be having problems here. If I post a link by simply cutting and pasting the text inline, I get a link like the one in post #240. If I use the "Insert Pic" button and paste the url, it doesn't work, a la post #235. Any one else seeing this?

Also, I see that when I look at this site with Windows Explorer, images show up as images. When I look at this site with Firefox, I only see links, and I have to click and be redirected to a seperate page for the pic. Is anyone else seeing this???

Well, it appears I've got pic posting figured out. The Kitty Kelly pic was a link to a webpage at WSU, it was not the .jpg file itself, that's why the post #235 did not work.

Now it I can only figure out why Firefox won't post pics inline....

Well, to answer my own question again, if you cannot see the pics inline, go to User CP, then Edit Options, and then click on the following to enable/disable what is shown in the thread. I didn't have any of these checked. Why the images were showing up in Explorer with this unchecked is a bit of a mystery, but they both seem to be working now.

You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
    Show Signatures
    Show Avatars
    Show Images [[including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

Here's shot of Eastland from the 50"s. I think the Kroger was to the left, out of this shot unfortunately. From the view point of the photographer, you are looking toward 8 Mile. On the rights is Meyer Jewelery and past that is the Cunningham's. Remember you used to be able to walk through Cunningham's and come out on the other side of the cluster of shops. I think if you kept walking past Cunningham's you would find the Nut House.

I always thought that the grocery store was a Great Scott. Nearby was a Detroit Edison store where you could bring in your burnt out bulbs and get new ones.
    Notice the 2 Regina girls in this picture...must've just got out of school and are headed for Hudson's!

When Bonaldi's at 8 Mile & Kelly was closing and trying to sell off everything, I went in there to see what bargains I could find. Found these old postcards of Eastland Mall.

Here's another one of the Kitty Kelly Bridal shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post
    Here's shot of Eastland from the 50"s. I think the Kroger was to the left, out of this shot unfortunately. From the view point of the photographer, you are looking toward 8 Mile. On the rights is Meyer Jewelery and past that is the Cunningham's. Remember you used to be able to walk through Cunningham's and come out on the other side of the cluster of shops. I think if you kept walking past Cunningham's you would find the Nut House.

I always thought that the grocery store was a Great Scott. Nearby was a Detroit Edison store where you could bring in your burnt out bulbs and get new ones.
    Notice the 2 Regina girls in this picture...must've just got out of school and are headed for Hudson's!

Great memory jog about Edison. In addition to returning burned out light bulbs there was a small appliance repair service. Remember when it was actually worthwhile to actually have a toaster repaired instead of replaced.

In that picture if you were to walk left from Meyer Jewelery under the overhead you would end up entering the set of stores that included Kroger. It appears that the shot was taken right where the hippo was located. Cunningham's was the only store open on Sunday at Eastland. It use to be a nice treat just to roam around window shopping on Sunday and ending up with a fountain treat at Cunningham's

Very cool picture! Thanks!