Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I don't know about that. If it's simulated absinthe it might be okay. I recall reading an article many years ago [[1970s?) in Scientific American about the dangers of genuine wormwood absinthe. It showed photos of brains with and without absinthe damage and the difference was noticeable.

I'm no fanatic about it. Just suggesting some research be done before going down that road.
    Some of the stuff they're selling now in the US is the real deal, with wormwood. The ban was lifted in 2007 with the caveat that the active ingredient in wormwood [[the stuff that's supposed to be poison), thujone, be limited to 10 mg/liter. The thing is, they went and tested a bunch of pre-ban absinthe [[before 1915), and found that many samples had thujone levels well below 10 mg/liter. So it wasn't the thujone that was causing the problems... it was probably dyes, toxins, and methanol that was added to the lower-end stuff before the ban. There was less regulation on ingredients, especially in Europe, back then.

Back to burgers... I'd like the westsiders to give us a comparison between Greene's, Bates, and Carter's... maybe include Daly Drive-In, too. Which one is best and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Back to burgers... I'd like the westsiders to give us a comparison between Greene's, Bates, and Carter's... maybe include Daly Drive-In, too. Which one is best and why?
    I've never been to Daly's, I have been to the other three many times. I ate at Green's today [[ 6-27 ) The burgers were great. I remember when they had a location at Seven Mile and Schaefer. The hamburgers taste the same as they did 40 years ago at that Detroit location. They even use the same white bag with the grease spots for there carry out orders.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    11 Mile /John R maybe? That has been a Telway since 1940's.
    [[Same owner as Michigan/Martin Telway)
    Now that I think of it Econ that must be the place. Last year one day in the summer I was at the traffic light in front of the Telway and could smell the sliders. YUM! I need to check the place out, my aging stomach will of course rebel but maybe I can sneak in two sliders without the stomach noticing????

I have eaten at all of the above. I have no idea why you would want to include Daly's in this list as they are not a porcelain palace nor do they serve anything that by the wildest stretch of the imagination could be called a slider.You have also left out the best of the westside pocelain palaces which is Bray's.

My ratings are

1. Bray's. Most flavor in beef and onions. Not as greasy as most.
    2. Carter's. Also lots of flavor and less grease.
    3. Giant. Haven't had one in years but I remember them as excellent sliders.
    4. Greene's. Getting greasy now and more bland.
    5. Bates. While still a good slider, they are greasy and toward the bland side.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Now that I think of it Econ that must be the place. Last year one day in the summer I was at the traffic light in front of the Telway and could smell the sliders. YUM! I need to check the place out, my aging stomach will of course rebel but maybe I can sneak in two sliders without the stomach noticing????
    Might as well get 4, that's the 'special'
    Warning- get home fast and dispose of the bag- you'll not only taste the sliders for awhile, that bag leaves a 'slider' air freshener odor in the car.
    [[I still miss em' though. South/ Southwest US has very few 'Castle' type sliders. Krystal is not even close!)
    BTW- The coffee from the Michigan Ave place seems to be much better, but the burgers, about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    Might as well get 4, that's the 'special'
    Warning- get home fast and dispose of the bag- you'll not only taste the sliders for awhile, that bag leaves a 'slider' air freshener odor in the car.
    [[I still miss em' though. South/ Southwest US has very few 'Castle' type sliders. Krystal is not even close!)
    BTW- The coffee from the Michigan Ave place seems to be much better, but the burgers, about the same.
    I am appalled to admit that I have never been to a Telway. I have been to Bates and Geneva's but not Telway. I'm afraid my Detroit Card could be revoked.

You don't care for Krystal? Whenever I visit family in the South I make a Krystal stop. But to each their own.

I am appalled to admit that I have never been to a Telway. I have been to Bates and Geneva's but not Telway. I'm afraid my Detroit Card could be revoked.
    I think Telway in Madison Heights and then Brayz in Hazel Park are my two favorite slider joints. [[Geneva's used to be... but I haven't been to the new place yet.) I've got to get over to the westside and try the sliders out that way.

Jman, thanks for the review. I was unaware of the westside Bray's. And you're right, Daly Drive-In is not a "porcelain palace."

You don't care for Krystal? Whenever I visit family in the South I make a Krystal stop. But to each their own.
    Telway, Bates, Geneva, Carter's, and Giant I know to be 'hand crafted' burgers, even though they are sliders. I worked at Telway [[wow)40 years ago. Still visit the owner when I'm in town. Have rode with him when he picks up fresh meats and onions, etc. And the buns are local- Brown's. White Castle, [[now closed)Top Hat, and Krystal had pre-pressed frozen patties and dehydrated onions.

Guess I won't get a Confederate passport- never liked Krystal's or Krispy Kreme.

And, for a 'meal' hamburger, not a slider, I agree with Miller's!

Fury13, many years ago the Brayz in Hazel Park was Bray's. I have only been into Brayz once, but they still had the donkey on the roof. which was the Bray's symbol. Is the donkey still there? I do remember having an excellent hamburger there.

As far as a bar hamburger goes, it doesn't get any better than Sandy's By The Beech.
    Last edited by Jman; June-28-10 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    You have also left out the best of the westside pocelain palaces which is Bray's.

Bray's donkey 'logo' used to be even more appropriate- the kicking donkey with a sign " 5 IN A BAG FOR A BUCK"

My ratings are

1. Bray's. Most flavor in beef and onions. Not as greasy as most.
    2. Carter's. Also lots of flavor and less grease.
    3. Giant. Haven't had one in years but I remember them as excellent sliders.
    4. Greene's. Getting greasy now and more bland.
    5. Bates. While still a good slider, they are greasy and toward the bland side.
    __________________________________________________ _____

Daly's is the most unique hamburger in the area, in my estimation. The special sauce reminds me of the chili sauce my dad used to put on everything he ate.

I like the Stump Burger at Stempien's Sidestreet Lounge the best. And speaking of bagels, they make a "polish bagel": Canadian bacon with melted pepper jack on a poppy seed bagel. Not bad at all.

Fury, you should start a new thread about the virtues of absinthe. All I know is that stuff gave me the worst hangover of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    Fury13, many years ago the Brayz in Hazel Park was Bray's. I have only been into Brayz once, but they still had the donkey on the roof. which was the Bray's symbol. Is the donkey still there? I do remember having an excellent hamburger there.

As far as a bar hamburger goes, it doesn't get any better than Sandy's By The Beech.
    Yes, the donkey is still atop the Brayz in Hazel Park. That's part of the charm and amusement of going there. The sliders are very tasty there, if a bit on the greasy side.

Econ expat, good call on "hand-crafted" vs. "pre-fab" sliders. While I do love White Castles, there's no comparison with a good homemade slider. Let's face it: the slider is the Original American Hamburger -- the style of burger that first became popular across the nation in the '20s and '30s.

Oh, and I've had the burgers at Sandy's By The Beech. Pretty good, I agree, although I've had some really good bar burgers out that way. I also recommend the Timber Wolf on Plymouth or JR's on Fenkell. Seems like Michno's had a decent burger too. Mason's was over-hyped, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    Fury, you should start a new thread about the virtues of absinthe. All I know is that stuff gave me the worst hangover of my life.
    Maybe I will start such a thread, but you're not supposed to drink it straight! That stuff is 136 proof!

Still, the secondary effects... unique.
    Last edited by Fury13; June-28-10 at 09:25 AM.

econ expat, I must be a few years older than you as I remember "6 in a bag for a buck". I also agree with you on hand crafted etc. However, just as I seperate sliders from bar burgers, I also seperate White Castle, Krystal, etc. from sliders. Don't tell me that you are going out for a bag of sliders and come back with White Castles or vice-versa. Different animals.

"Mason's was over-hyped", I agree.
    Last edited by Jman; June-28-10 at 09:33 AM.

16. Default

It might be sacrilegious, but the Angry Polynesian at the Detroit Beer Company is actually much better than their hamburger. It's a turkey burger, but is very, very good, despite it's non-traditional ingredients. It's not s slider, but the DBC doesn't do sliders.

Red Coat Tavern and Millers in Dearborn. Red Coat's are way more healthy so I will go with them.

5 Guys,12 and Mound is supposed to be real good

The Shamrock in Utica, used to have a great burger, but since it burned in a fire, and was closed several months, their burgers are nothing like before. No longer fresh, hand formed, burgers. they are now frozen, uniform patties. I went there several times after the fire and tried them. I don't and won't go there anymore. Friends of mine do not either. They are still making a lot of money there, and have a brisk business, and you know, when you have a few brews, your taste buds get numb. That's why one likes spicy food, when having a buzz. Try them, you might like them. I don't.

Default I use to work at Geneva's

Geneva's double cheeseburger...
    Hi i miss Geneva's i use to work with Bridget and Paul.My name is Wendy

Wendy, you win the Double Cheeseburger award for best first post on DetroitYes!

The Checker Bar & Grill....serves the best hamburgers on the Planet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Winniepoohbrezy View Post
    Hi i miss Geneva's i use to work with Bridget and Paul.My name is Wendy
    I remember Paul , he was a not -so- friendly- fellow. To me anyway.

Who was the girl that worked there that looked EXACTLY like Drew Barrymore?

Default Joe's Hamburgers in Wyandotte is Excellent

Years ago there was a small restaurant in Wyandotte called "Watkin's Burgers" on Biddle [[Jefferson). They had a fire, and it was torn down. Excellent burgers... so anyhow, the relatives of Watkins got involved in the "Joes Hamburgers" shop in recent years... and it is really great. Small place, maybe 4 tables... but really delicious hamburgers [[and varieties).

Quote Originally Posted by Signman View Post
    Joe's hamburgers in Wyandotte is a new venture. Not for me, way too greasy but from those that go for that sort of thing they love em. His version of sliders and they do slide.

Beau Jacks on Maple and Telegraph beats Red Coat hands down.Sidetrack in Ypsi. is great too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast