Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I have to agree with the poster that said Nemo's on Mich. Ave. Mmmmmm......

Happy hour at Roast in the Book-Cadillac. $3 gets you a five once burger on an English muffin with bacon, cheddar, fried egg and pickled onion.

Though I prefer the fried chicken livers with polenta and mushrooms for the same price. They go nicely with a Manhattan cocktail.

Sorry, but burgers are not supposed to be served on English muffins.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Sorry, but burgers are not supposed to be served on English muffins.
    An English Muffin is an insult to a hamburger.

9mile&seneca Guest

Foodood try putting Tobasco on them fried livers. Gitterdone!

How exactly does one come to the conclusion that hamburger cannot be served on an English muffin? Is there some regulating body that I’m unaware of?

An insult? We’re talking about a ground meat patty here!

9mile, I have been wanting to fry up a mess of chicken livers to garnish spicy bloody Marys. That would be a party.

How are those Manhattan's at Roast? Are they making them with Rye whiskey, which is the new trend.

You can get them made with whatever American whiskey they have. I think the well is Jim Beam. I believe they have a rye behind the bar but I can’t remember the brand.

It’s a good cocktail bar but not a great one. Detroit doesn’t have a great cocktail bar yet.

Nemo's: Old bar, burgers & beer - a great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    How are those Manhattan's at Roast? Are they making them with Rye whiskey, which is the new trend.
    It's not really the new trend, it's going back to the original recipe. The Manhattan originally was made with rye. Rye is "hotter" and more robust than Bourbon, so it complements the sweet vermouth better.

And if the dash or two of bitters is omitted, it's not a real Manhattan.

I hear that the bar at Roast has absinthe.

On the subject of drinks, opening this year a couple doors down from Slows will be Detroit’s only joint devoted to craft cocktails. Dude putting it together makes his own bitters, syrups, infusions, but also worships the classics. The menu will be a mix of old and new, and they’re planning on having live music on the weekends.

For sliders I like the Giant System on Van Born and Monroe in Dearborn Hts best. Not sure why they have system in their name since they only have the one location. Great shakes, too.
    Giant 'system' used to have a few locations until 70's.
    was called 'Les' Giant' hamburger system back then
    owned by Les Sampson-
    his brother Lex owned Telway System back then.

I love sliders, but are they officially considered burgers? When I want a burger I like certain places, when I want a slider I like Bates.

Anyone care to suggest the best slider places? There is one John R/12 Mile-ish that used to be a Top Hat, anyone know about that place?

For sliders I like the Giant System on Van Born and Monroe in Dearborn Hts best. Not sure why they have system in their name since they only have the one location. Great shakes, too.
    Cool, I have to check that place out. It's only a few miles from my house.

So you think Giant System is better than the Carter's on Southfield?

Anyone been to Joe's Hamburgers in Wyandotte?

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post

Anyone care to suggest the best slider places? There is one John R/12 Mile-ish that used to be a Top Hat, anyone know about that place?
    11 Mile /John R maybe? That has been a Telway since 1940's.
    [[Same owner as Michigan/Martin Telway)

Quote Originally Posted by fooddood View Post
    How exactly does one come to the conclusion that hamburger cannot be served on an English muffin? Is there some regulating body that I’m unaware of?

An insult? We’re talking about a ground meat patty here!

9mile, I have been wanting to fry up a mess of chicken livers to garnish spicy bloody Marys. That would be a party.
    Well then why not serve up hamburgers on Bagels? Or, how about on plain white bread? I'm sure it'll be a big hit at your next cookout.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    11 Mile /John R maybe? That has been a Telway since 1940's.
    [[Same owner as Michigan/Martin Telway)
    I am thinking maybe that's not it. The place I have in mind has the old Top Hat white with red trim panels. But I'm not an expert on that area, it's Madison Hts. I think.

Now Top Hat - THAT was the best slider IMO.

What is Hot N Now like?

Joe's hamburgers in Wyandotte is a new venture. Not for me, way too greasy but from those that go for that sort of thing they love em. His version of sliders and they do slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    In Ypsi, I like the Chick Inn. Great burgers... but the shakes and chili are outstanding too. Plus, it's an authentic [[not a re-creation) 1950s drive-in restaurant.
    Glad to hear that Chick Inn is still there. I used to frequent the place when I lived in the area and worked at Adams Elementary down the street.
    Awesome shakes....strawberries would get stuck in the straw! They were quite filling and sometimes took the place of a meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    Cool, I have to check that place out. It's only a few miles from my house.

So you think Giant System is better than the Carter's on Southfield?

Anyone been to Joe's Hamburgers in Wyandotte?
    Carters is good too, but i like Giant System a little better. The Giant System sliders are a tad bigger than most sliders, something to consider when ordering.

I like Red Coat Tavern's burger. Back when I used to live near Wash. D.C the best sliders of all time were from a chain called Little Taverns . They are gone now. But they were the best. Anywhere. Actual ground round on steamed buns.

Fury- Watch out for the absinthe.... it'll rot your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    That's just a rumor and absolutely unfounded, Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    That's just a rumor and absolutely unfounded, Prince.
    I don't know about that. If it's simulated absinthe it might be okay. I recall reading an article many years ago [[1970s?) in Scientific American about the dangers of genuine wormwood absinthe. It showed photos of brains with and without absinthe damage and the difference was noticeable.

I'm no fanatic about it. Just suggesting some research be done before going down that road.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast