Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I have to 2nd Teleways at Michigan and Martin, Millers has a great burger also but Teleway is my favorite!

The "Hair of the Dog" burger at Detroit Beer Co.

Ford-Wyoming concession stand has some fantastic grillers.

Sabre Lancer Lounge on East Warren and Outer Drive had the best burgers ever!! [[Never tried Wimpy's)

But today I place my money on Red Coat Tavern.

Grand Trunk makes a surprisingly good burger. Probably the best I've had in the metro area.

Geneva's double cheeseburger...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmiann View Post
    The best burger I have EVER eaten is at the Howell Bar in Dearborn. Served with the hand-cut fries at only $3.75. Don't go on Tuesdays [[no cook) and plan on having a couple of drinks while you wait as the cook 'slow cooks' the burgers. But seriously, the best ever!
    I totally agree with everything you said. I love their burgers.

I was raised on Millers, But I can say the Red Coat on Orchard Lake was good.
    Jakes Again in Wayne to me gives Millers a run for their money, and as for Howells, Well I never hit it on the right night. But their Tacos on Monday night are excellent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmiann View Post
    The best burger I have EVER eaten is at the Howell Bar in Dearborn. Served with the hand-cut fries at only $3.75. Don't go on Tuesdays [[no cook) and plan on having a couple of drinks while you wait as the cook 'slow cooks' the burgers. But seriously, the best ever!
    You mean Howell's on Mason Street right?

Yea, the Burger and hand cut fries where awesome, I would go back again but the service sucked. I went in there around 8pm on a Saturday night and the cook making the food made it seem to me like he was doing me a favor keeping the grill open, as his after hours drinking crowd was starting to come in.

I was sitting at the bar, it took forever for someone to come around and offer a refill on my drink.

Again, good food but it was too much of a bar type atmosphere.

Now I did go to Millers again tonight and usual the service was great. Everyone at Millers is friendly, and if they see you need something, they ask. The best part is that its susposed to be a bar, but their burgers turned the place into a resturant.

Only downside about Millers is that they don't have fountain drinks and its $2 per can of Coke, but for some reason the Coke they serve in the cans taste better than the pop from a fountain or the cans of Coke I have at home. I think its a combination of the fact they chill the cans of Coke beforhand, and the glass of ice they serve it with.

I'm a big fan of both Miller's and Red Coat.

Thank you for the plug for Roy's Squeeze Inn [[I think the Roy's in the small town of Milan is the same Roy, but I've never had a burger there). The Squeezeburger may not be quite in the league of Red Coat et al., but it's a lot cheaper. You can get carhop service. And the place looks like it came right out of an Edward Hopper painting. On one of our many gloomy, foggy winter days, it's quite something.

Another vote for Red Coat!

I get mine like a steak: Piedmontese burger, no bun, with sauted onions and mushrooms, a slice of melted swiss cheese, and zip sauce on the side. AMAZING!!!!

Sidetrack in Ypsi gets my vote. Outside patio seating is a plus.

In Ypsi, I like the Chick Inn. Great burgers... but the shakes and chili are outstanding too. Plus, it's an authentic [[not a re-creation) 1950s drive-in restaurant.

Here are my picks. Some are obvious, some aren't, and some are more about fun than flavor.

http://detnews.com/article/20100511/...he-best-burger

I vote for the Shamrock Burger at the Shamrock Irish Pub in downtown Utica.

I think that Marcus Burger deserves an honorable mention.

Marcus rocks!!

West Side Telway and Red Coat [[swiss cheese, burnt onions, olives, zip sauce, grilled rye), too.

I had forgotten about Verne's Bierstube in Detroit. They had my favorite burger by far. For currently available burgers, it's still Red Coat.

If you don't mind driving through the hood, BB's diner on Conner east of Gratiot has, in my opinion, the best and most unique burger in Detroit. Carry-out only, with smothered mashed potatoes. Ummmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Geneva's double cheeseburger...
    Whatever happened to Geneva's? Went there recently for a nostalgia burger and they were closed.

I agree on Tel-Way. But The Hideout on 14 Mile in Clawson has some killer Bacon Cheeseburgers

Quote Originally Posted by gcalan View Post
    Whatever happened to Geneva's? Went there recently for a nostalgia burger and they were closed.
    They're on Kelly in Harper Woods now.

Vinsetta Grill in Royal Oak. The choices are amazing. It takes some work to fill out the form and it's akin to taking the bar exam- it has so many choices!

For sliders I like the Giant System on Van Born and Monroe in Dearborn Hts best. Not sure why they have system in their name since they only have the one location. Great shakes, too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast