Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
I don't know about that. If it's simulated absinthe it might be okay. I recall reading an article many years ago [[1970s?) in Scientific American about the dangers of genuine wormwood absinthe. It showed photos of brains with and without absinthe damage and the difference was noticeable.

I'm no fanatic about it. Just suggesting some research be done before going down that road.
Some of the stuff they're selling now in the US is the real deal, with wormwood. The ban was lifted in 2007 with the caveat that the active ingredient in wormwood [[the stuff that's supposed to be poison), thujone, be limited to 10 mg/liter. The thing is, they went and tested a bunch of pre-ban absinthe [[before 1915), and found that many samples had thujone levels well below 10 mg/liter. So it wasn't the thujone that was causing the problems... it was probably dyes, toxins, and methanol that was added to the lower-end stuff before the ban. There was less regulation on ingredients, especially in Europe, back then.