Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Beatles were always my favorites, Stones are right up there. I can listen to any Beatles album all the way through and like pretty much every song [[with a very small number of exceptions), that wasn't the case with most Stones albums [[Beggars Banquet through Sticky Fingers were the exceptions, great era for the Stones). I remember radio stations having Stones vs. Beatles contests back in the early 70s, Stones always won them and it always p---ed me off! To each his own, certainly not worth fighting about.

Ravine Guest

Well, I don't know that either band was "for" males or "for" females, but I have learned that no viewpoiunt is too narrow to find a home on DetroitYes.
    However, at least on this thread, the "girls" are doing a better job of keeping the thread on-point. Thanks, Pam & Roq.
    Ya just can't beat Pam at the knack for pulling up appropriate YouTube videos and inserting them at key moments.

Roq, the one I have is not brand-new. For all I know, the damned thing may have been re-remastered and re-reissued, four or five times, since the one I bought was in the racks.
    I want to hone my description, for you, but-- of course!!-- can I locate the sumbitch right now?
    The dislocation is particularly bothersome, because not only did I want to eye-ball it for description's sake, now I have the taste for hearing it.
    [[That's the down-side to having a CD player in the car: your shit gets moved around too much.)
    Well.
    It was not packaged in a "plastic jewel-box." Fold-out cardboard. Had the UK cover; you know, the truly disturbing yellow-brown toilet-with-graffiti shot.
    The Let It Bleed edition, bought at the same time, says 2002, so figure on about the same for Banquet. Published by Abkco; apparently, these re-issues have the "double-layer" bit, where one of the layers is SACD [["Super Audio") and will play, thusly, on SACD players. [[If the sound of the regular "layer" is any indication, the SA layer must be jaw-droppiful.)
    Bottom line is, look for the ones packaged in shrink-wrapped cardboard, and take the search from there.
    As for the material itself:
    With music, I don't like to say what's better than what. That's why I'm pointedly not-engaging in the Beatles vs. Stones aspect of this thread, and shamelessly hijacking it for use in discussing Beggars Banquet with you.
    But, Beggars Banquet is a favorite of mine, and maybe part of that is the fact that I bought it when it was brand-new, when all of it was fresh, in my ears, when "Street Fighting Man" was no more familiar than "Salt of the Earth."
    [[Over-all, I see Exile On Main Street as being their high point; for me, they just pretty much brought it all together, on that one, touching on their blues-heavy roots at the same time as being "at the height of their power" for shit-kickin' rock & roll.)
    The funny thing about Beggars Banquet, for me, is that my favorites are the very ones which are likely to be entirely unknown to those who do not own the record. I already singled out "Parachute Woman" [[God I love that one,) but "Factory Girl" & "Dear Doctor" are dear to me, too.
    I believe Beggars Banquet to be the final Stones LP featuring Brian Jones, exclusively, as guitar-mate of Keith. Let It Bleed followed, and it features both Jones and Mick Taylor, although neither is much involved, actually.

and were supported by Billy Preston on keyboards...
    Another thing both bands had in common. Billy played on Let it Be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXt9ShJsAIo

Quote: "I'm just going by your idiotic statements, Moo. Beatles for girls, Stones for guys."

Nothing idiotic about it. If you feel "manly" listening to "I wanna hold your hand" you may need to get your testosterone checked and switch over to Drakkar Noir for cover. Jus' sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    It would have been 75 I think...was the show at Cobo Hall? They were supporting the Black & Blue album and were supported by Billy Preston on keyboards...
    your right terry. i still have the ticket stub..july28, 1975. ticket price $9.50!

If you feel "manly" listening to "I wanna hold your hand"
    Moo- it's just a song lyric. Don't worry, John and Paul aren't hitting on you. Your manhood should not feel threatened.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Moo- it's just a song lyric. Don't worry, John and Paul aren't hitting on you. Your manhood should not feel threatened.
    What manhood? I get tired of him swinging his purse at me, electronically.

He likes Jagger anyway. Lennon was bi as well reportedly. He's afraid of him too.

Why do I have to choose either or? Both made contributions to music in their own way. Both are great bands.
    13th Floor Elevators...now we are talking.

The Beatles were the better band overall, but the Stones had the best rock album in Exile. You can't call the Stones the better band when their first major hit was written by Lennon/McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Ya just can't beat Pam at the knack for pulling up appropriate YouTube videos and inserting them at key moments.
    Agreed, Pam is awesome!

Roq, the one I have is not brand-new. For all I know, the damned thing may have been re-remastered and re-reissued, four or five times, since the one I bought was in the racks.
    I want to hone my description, for you, but-- of course!!-- can I locate the sumbitch right now?
    The dislocation is particularly bothersome, because not only did I want to eye-ball it for description's sake, now I have the taste for hearing it.
    [[That's the down-side to having a CD player in the car: your shit gets moved around too much.)
    Well.
    It was not packaged in a "plastic jewel-box." Fold-out cardboard. Had the UK cover; you know, the truly disturbing yellow-brown toilet-with-graffiti shot.
    The Let It Bleed edition, bought at the same time, says 2002, so figure on about the same for Banquet. Published by Abkco; apparently, these re-issues have the "double-layer" bit, where one of the layers is SACD [["Super Audio") and will play, thusly, on SACD players. [[If the sound of the regular "layer" is any indication, the SA layer must be jaw-droppiful.)
    Bottom line is, look for the ones packaged in shrink-wrapped cardboard, and take the search from there.
    I did some searching and I'm wondering if this is the one?

http://www.amazon.com/Beggars-Banque.../dp/B00006AW2J

As for the material itself:
    With music, I don't like to say what's better than what. That's why I'm pointedly not-engaging in the Beatles vs. Stones aspect of this thread, and shamelessly hijacking it for use in discussing Beggars Banquet with you.
    Nice! Beggar's Banquet surely deserves discussion; at length and in great detail.
    It most certainly beats ascribing gender based upon which bands a person likes [[wth?)
    But, Beggars Banquet is a favorite of mine, and maybe part of that is the fact that I bought it when it was brand-new, when all of it was fresh, in my ears, when "Street Fighting Man" was no more familiar than "Salt of the Earth."
    [[Over-all, I see Exile On Main Street as being their high point; for me, they just pretty much brought it all together, on that one, touching on their blues-heavy roots at the same time as being "at the height of their power" for shit-kickin' rock & roll.)
    I agree. Music taste is so subjective, even within the same person. Today, the tracks on Beggar's may hit me just right but tomorrow, it's Sticky Fingers or Exile.

I enjoy the gritty, blues influenced music of the Stones more than the produced numbers of the Beatles though in any case, any issues I may have with the Beatles are centered more on Beatles fans; they can be supremely annoying with their pronouncements that they rule supreme over all.

You make another good point in that the tracks we hear when young have a powerful influence on us later. I remember buying LP's as a teen. I couldn't wait to get home and tear the shrink wrap off and immerse myself in a brand new album for hours...

The funny thing about Beggars Banquet, for me, is that my favorites are the very ones which are likely to be entirely unknown to those who do not own the record. I already singled out "Parachute Woman" [[God I love that one,) but "Factory Girl" & "Dear Doctor" are dear to me, too.
    Same here. On Sticky Fingers, "Sway" and "Dead Flowers" are my favorite tracks, not "Brown Sugar" or "Wild Horses". Too many people just hear the hits and don't explore the rest of the album [[Holy Christ, am I dating myself here or what? Do people even say album anymore?)

I believe Beggars Banquet to be the final Stones LP featuring Brian Jones, exclusively, as guitar-mate of Keith. Let It Bleed followed, and it features both Jones and Mick Taylor, although neither is much involved, actually.
    Let it Bleed is another favorite. Oh Hell, it's going to be a Stones fest in the car later!

Agreed, Pam is awesome!
    Even if I don't own Beggars Banquet? heh. One of the problems I have with the Stones is all the bluesy stuff. I find their snotty rock stuff like "Satisfaction" or "Get off my Cloud" much more convincing.

Ravine Guest

Roq:

That's probably the one, but it's difficult to be sure.

Pam:

Generally speaking, I'm the same way. I enjoy "Exile" all the way through, but my 6-pack for the ride home would be Rocks Off, Rip This Joint, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Stop Breakin' Down, & All Down The Line.

terryh quote: "...Did anyone of you catch the Masonic show in 78? or the Voodoo lounge tour..for the opening number-the Bo Didley beat Buddy Holly cover of 'Not Fade Away,.."
    I saw them several times in Detroit, but not the Masonic show, which has been described by many as their best performance. Did see the Voodoo Lounge show, at the Rose Bowl. They surpassed my expectations, and I attended their second show there. Yes, the Not Fade Away introduction was impressive!

Bearinabox Guest

Beatles for me, thanks. I'd rather be a girly-man than a cluster of tildes like Sstash.

Do you even know what a "Tilde" is?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Beatles for me, thanks. I'd rather be a girly-man than a cluster of tildes like Sstash.
    Is that anything like a Halo of Flies?

I liked that song, but it wasn't from The Beatles or Stones, so I suppose I'm thread-jacking.
    Again.
    Sorry.
    No, I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Ravine. I'm going to make sure I grab this for a listen after your description of Parachute Woman.

I know a lot of people prefer Exile on Main St., but nothing in my mind beats the pure, perfect sound of Beggar's.

How can anyone not love Factory Girl or Jigsaw Puzzle?
    Me three. That's been my favorite Stones album for forever. It's got an earthiness to it. Jones on slide !

A great Rolling Stones song that is probably too girly for Sstashmoo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPPJ5dolxU

Here's something I never saw before-Keef wearing glasses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3F4GmbHl5g

yeah much of the Stones obscure stuff is beatiful and bouncy..the song 'Ill Be Waiting' from the album Aftermath was on a movie soundtrack...Flight 505 is a rocker.......when they played the Silverdome during the Bridges to Babylon tour they covered the Chuck Berry song 'Little Queenie' on the second stage....

At a Stones concert you will notice several generations of attendees...their music is timeless...I know individuals in their twenties that really dig the Beatles and The Stones...My wife happens to be a Beatles enthusiast and my young 11 year old nephews favorite song is 'Gimme Shelter'...

Is that anything like a Halo of Flies?....
    Halo of Flies - One of my all-time favorite songs! And the song right after it ain't too bad either [[if you happen to be listening to 'Killer').

Silly debate in a way......comparing the two is kinda like apples and oranges IMHO.
    Saw one at Olympia, saw the other at Masonic Temple and Cobo.....happy to have seen them both in their day.......without having to see Mick do yet ANOTHER tour in wheelchair and oxygen bottle. lol

The Rolling Stones without quesion would be my vote. I am so glad I saw the Stones once, in the 1980s. I never 'got' the Beatles although I will say they were talented.

I never 'got' the Beatles although I will say they were talented.
    And funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0WP8zGCqNs

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Do you even know what a "Tilde" is?
    You know, one of these: ~~~~~~~~~
    As in: Sstashmoo is the biggest ~~~~~~~~~ on DYes.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast