Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Agreement with whoever invokes His Name? Don't jump to conclusions just yet there, Big Fella...

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
    And that quote from Jesus did WHAT to prove your point??

As religious people so often do, you have given a non-answer to someone by quoting a religious text which they probably do not hold in high regard anyway.

When debating, why not tell us non-believers why you believe in god rather than quoting a religious text? What is in your mind or heart that compels you to believe? That element largely does not exist within us, we have no innate tendency to believe. Instead we tend to question or doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Between purges and wars, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot contributed their share of foxholes and graves. Communism, after all, was and is atheistic. Dear leaders don't like to share their adoration.

" More people died at the hands of their own governments in the 20th century than were killed in all the wars in history combined before the 20th century. And the vast, vast, majority of this killing was done by atheistic regimes."
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6212037AAXpL1w
    I sometimes forget that Yahoo! Answers is the most definitive and reliable source for facts and information. But then again, for someone who is quite accustomed to routinely taking things on faith[[faith: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.) this doesn’t come as a surprise that you would try to make a point with rubbish. I give you that these regimes forcibly imposed atheism just as theocracies do. But there haven’t even been enough people alive in the 20th century let alone killed to compare to the 5 thousand years of religious wars[[continues to this day) and murdering of those who resisted conversion or became suspect to some unfaithful “act”. I don’t call that Atheism, I call that Math!

http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/history-of-religion.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "when we become a country that no longer believes that non-believers shouldn't even be considered "true" citizens,"

Seriously where do you get this stuff? Can you post some boilerplate from any Religious institutions [[which I can't stand incidentally), that proclaim anything of the sort?
    no, because I do not wander around on those sites. An ex-president [[Bush the elder), Newt Gingrich, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, William McCartney [[head of Promise Keepers) and others have made that statement

Quote: "Newt Gingrich, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, William McCartney [[head of Promise Keepers) and others have made that statement"

When and where did one of these folks say that Atheists are not really US citizens?

Quote: "Newt Gingrich, Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, William McCartney [[head of Promise Keepers) and others have made that statement"

When and where did one of these folks say that Atheists are not really US citizens?
    Over the course of years, numerous places

That's what I thought..

Some examples of the mind pollution Pat Robertson has broadcast.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/revpat.htm

"The Constitution of the United States, for instance, is a marvelous document for self-government by the Christian people. But the minute you turn the document into the hands of non-Christian people and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the very foundation of our society. And that's what's been happening."

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/pat-r...ts-can-t-marry
    "...
    "There is no fellowship between an atheist and somebody who is a believer in God. . . . You've got to go find somebody else. Really. I mean either he changes and gives his heart to the Lord, or you go down the road with somebody else. But there is no fellowship between Christ and Belial. I mean, he's going to be serving the Devil..."

http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200512190011
    "... Robertson went on to suggest that evolution advocates were "fanatics," stating further, "it is a religion, it is a cult. It is cultish religion."

I happen to agree with much of what Pat Robertson says. Or said, I don't watch TV anymore.

I'd pay to see Pat Robertson debate any of you, he'd rip your nonsense apart. Know that. Your claims this country was founded by Atheists and all the other pollution you spread. I'd pay to see it. Or better yet, Billy Graham. It's easy for you people to throw these names around, these guys are/were sharp and know/knew what they're talking about, they aren't some angry arm flailing know it all on an internet forum.

I happen to agree with much of what Pat Robertson says. Or said, I don't watch TV anymore.
    Like his "we need to nuke foggy bottom" comment? PR is a freaking idiot idealogue without a clue

I'd pay to see Pat Robertson debate any of you, he'd rip your nonsense apart. Know that. Your claims this country was founded by Atheists and all the other pollution you spread. I'd pay to see it. Or better yet, Billy Graham. It's easy for you people to throw these names around, these guys are/were sharp and know/knew what they're talking about, they aren't some angry arm flailing know it all on an internet forum.[/quote]\

on what subject? they know nothing except their own terribly narrow view of a terribly narrow religious mindset

It would take more than an arch-conservative bible-thumping theocrat to convince me that there is a god and an afterlife. My personal belief is that there probably is no god, but I cannot prove that definitively just like people of faith cannot prove that a god DOES exist.

Whoever claims that atheists founded the country? I know that some of the founders were deists and Unitarians. Deists are sort of an early version of atheists - they believed that a god created the universe but is not involved in daily life of it's inhabitants, similar to the odd 'god is dead' theory.

Also, there are many atheists that are not hostile toward religions. They simply have no use for them. Some atheists are on the attack against religions, others tolerate them completely. Myself, I think anyone has the right to believe and to worship and those laws are wisely guaranteed by the constitution and should remain that way.

The founding documents reference the "Creator"

Quote: "on what subject? they know nothing except their own terribly narrow view of a terribly narrow religious mindset"

That's why they've built empires with millions of followers, and you're... you haven't..

The founding documents reference the "Creator"
    That's the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. And it talks of "nature's god" which is very deistic.

Quote: "on what subject? they know nothing except their own terribly narrow view of a terribly narrow religious mindset"

That's why they've built empires with millions of followers, ...
    SO have the Chinese. So have the muslims. So did many pagan leaders. Xtianity may have been the answer for the ignorant masses prior to the scientific revolution. People have called the 18th century the Age of Reason. Now in the 21st century it is time for reason to prevail.
    Last edited by maxx; June-26-10 at 08:06 AM.

Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are the poster boys for everything that is wrong with people's perceptions of Christianity. Pat especially, with his knack of putting his foot in his mouth, gives anyone who hates Christianity more fuel for their rage. Besides, many of their actions are very much UN-Christian like.

[Sstash Quote]That's why they've built empires with millions of followers, and you're... you haven't..[/quote]

Weren't you recently bashing Catholicism, and pooh poohing their millions of followers recently?

How's a Protestant church different?
    Last edited by Detroitej72; June-26-10 at 10:09 AM.

I'm not neccessarily an Atheist, but I am an Apatheist.

Quote: "Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson are the poster boys for everything that is wrong with people's perceptions of Christianity."

Wrong, they are excellent vehicles for the anti-religion folk to drag out when they want to vent their hatred of all that's good and bash believers. These evangelists made mistakes, they are men, not God. One can surely not discount, the good they've done. Leading many to a belief in God, offering hope, support and solace in times of need. That must be considered. What does the Atheist offer? Nothing.

Retroit Guest

Atheism is a religion for non-believers.

One of my favorite quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen F. Roberts
    I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
    I don't claim to be atheist, but rather agnostic. Although if one really thought about the quote I posted it is rather interesting that there are so many contradicting "God's Chosen One" groups out there. If there really is a God and he has a message of salvation and hope for people then why so much confusion about it? Why so many contradicting religions?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm not neccessarily an Atheist, but I am an Apatheist.
    Then you haven't been paying attention to what the fundie xtians have been trying to do with their ID nonsense and their Bible curriculum.

DetroitPole Guest

I don't consider myself religious, but on any given Sunday you can find me in a church in Detroit and I wear saints medals everyday.

I am a cultural Catholic. I have no use for doctrines and dogmas and certainly no need for anyone to tell me how to live my life, but I think a life without spirituality is a sad one. Of course, that spirituality can come in many forms.

When I go to church, I usually just go to go somewhere where I don't have to "do" anything - where I can just sit and think. Of course, Detroit Catholic churches are unmatched in there beauty as well. When I pray, I'm not praying to some magical god who can grant wishes at will. I am trying to send positive energy and thoughts.

I do believe in God. However, I can only recite the Nicean creed in the most symbolic sense.

When I am grateful to God, I am grateful to the healing powers of the universe.

I realize I have a very liberal definition of religion but I would not call myself an atheist.

Certainly religion has been used to justify many atrocities throughout history but even if you eliminated it entirely, man would find other ways to justify his inhumanity to man. The Soviets did it for the worker, the United States does it for freedom, the Germans did it for the fatherland. Man is a cruel creature and the march of history is just an endless cycle of holocausts.

I am myself fairly atheistic. But I go to church frequently with a small group of friends who enjoy Detroit's old historic churches, which are incredibly beautiful and inspiring. I also enjoy reading the Bible at times and have three different versions. I contribute to the churches when I attend and I volunteer to help with grounds work at St. Albertus.

I am officially Lutheran, but honestly I just don't believe it all. And I don't believe any other religion other than Christianity. This year I acheived a lifetime goal and attended an Orthodox church service at Orthodox Christmas, it was a wonderful experience

I am skeptical by nature though, I find religions fascinating and I admire many Christian sects.
    I am drawn toward atheists very much, I enjoy talking with them.

Am I conflicted??? oh yeah, BIG time.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Between purges and wars, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot contributed their share of foxholes and graves. Communism, after all, was and is atheistic. Dear leaders don't like to share their adoration.

" More people died at the hands of their own governments in the 20th century than were killed in all the wars in history combined before the 20th century. And the vast, vast, majority of this killing was done by atheistic regimes."
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6212037AAXpL1w
    Immigrants Ive known who had previously lived under communist rule informed me that althought religion was discouraged there was a modicum of religious freedom in their respective countries....Fidel Castro met with the Pope..

Quote: "Fidel Castro met with the Pope.. "

Token gesture, like when our own President says he'll address our China trade problem and end the occupation of countries in the middle east.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast