Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Actually born in Booth Memorial Hospital while my parents lived on University in Allen Park. However spent almost the rest of my childhood living in SW Detroit, i.e. Logan, Gartner, the apartments above the barber shop on Vernor across from K-Andy's Bar and finally the last ten years on Wendell at Woodmere.

Trumpeteer, were you a St. Gabriel Trumpeteer??? I remember a few people from that area of Wendell. I also delivered the Detroit News on my block. Thinking back, the best route I had was Vernor east all the way to Reiden from the station...although, at the time I didn't see it that way. Could of sold alot of papers had I been so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Considering the overwhelming number of Eastsiders on this site, the name should be changed to East Detroiters Yes!
    I agree, of course.

I disagree, and you can keep your fish flys on the East side, But send me some pizza

My father graduated from Cass High School in 1950. I was born 1952 at Grace Hospital [[Willis & John R), my brother was born 1954 at Holy Cross. We lived on Gratiot, East Mack and east 8 mile road.

Born at the "New" Grace Hospital. Raised in the Plymouth/Greenfield area. Attended George Ford Elementary and Jr. High, Mackenzie High School. Spent most Saturdays in the summer at the Atlas Theatre [[Plymouth Rd) and in the winter at the Mont Carlo Bowling Alley [[also in Plymouth). I could go anywhere I wanted, as long as I could ride my bike there, or take a bus. We only had one car, and my dad used it to go to work.

Born early in the morning on the Thanksgiving-that-wasn't, 1963, in the old Providence hospital. Raised in an amazing house on Appoline in the Aviation subdivision. High point in life, so far, was winning the model sailboat regatta in Kennedy Square for the under-12 age competition put on by the Detroit Parks and Rec department, I might've been the only white face from the Wheeler Center at the Brewster Projects. [[The Detroit News article seriously mis-quoted me, there is NO way I knew anything about the America's Cup boat race at that age!) Spent twelve years learning the basics well [[and how to be an outlaw in plain sight) at St. Alphonsus in Dearborn, finally launching from that place in mid-1981. It's all been downhill since...which would be fine and fun, save the bumps...and occasional traffic.

Yea Switchman, St. Gabes for sure. We've exchanged posts on the old thread about my Dad's Chevy Nova. Random thought. Would you by chance have any pictures of that old neighborhood? I have some but most of us didn't have cameras back then as you recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    Yea Switchman, St. Gabes for sure. We've exchanged posts on the old thread about my Dad's Chevy Nova. Random thought. Would you by chance have any pictures of that old neighborhood? I have some but most of us didn't have cameras back then as you recall.
    My grandfather had a Chevy Nova!

I hear they had to change the name in order to sell them in Mexico, because in Spanish "Nova" apparently means "it doesn't go."

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    My grandfather had a Chevy Nova!
    Bite me!

1944-1960 Wayburn and E. Warren Great place then!!!!!

Default Growing up in Detroit

Born at old Providence Hospital on the Boulevard. My Mother said they even had fireplaces. Lived on west side on Stanley St. between Brooklyn and Lincoln. Went to McKinley school at Stanley and Hamilton until they had to tear it down for an expressway then went to Tilden. Also went to Hutchins Intermediate. Would love to find out if anyone is from this area or even knows of it.

Just about the whole area I grew up in is gone like a lot of Detroit, but I still miss it and do the map searchs to check out the areas. Also went to St. Dominics on Trumbull and Warren.

Shirl

I have heard alot of stuff about the old Providence Hospital, Funny how my Step dad and the lady who I used to mow the lawn for 10 years told me the same stories of growing up round there.My step Dad grew up around Vermont and Stanley.

Hey Rich, I don't think I have any pictures of the neighborhood. I will search some albums though.

Grew up on Lenox below Jefferson, Moved to Florida in 1978

I grew up at

1. 16210 Lawton St.

2. 16885 Ardmore St.

3.12691 Mansfield St.

4. 11381 Grandmont St. [[house is gone)

5. 460 W. Forest St. Apt. 503 and 601 [[ Apt is gone)

6. 459 Prentis

Now in somewhere in the suburbs and staying there. But I go the Detroit's Lower East Side to see the my leader, The Ghettoman and the Street Prophets for the secret meetings.

9936 Sussex,

Have you ever been to Crown Lanes [[ Now Equire Lanes) on Plymouth Rd. and Weaver? The Bowling Alley have be torn down since 1993.

Danny--Never bowled at Crown Lanes. Mont Carlo was right in my neighborhood and my best friend's father worked at the lanes.

Ferndale on Maplehurst between Livernois and Pinecrest. Yea, I know it's not Detroit, but maybe it's close enough. Mom and Dad bought the house in '48 just after I was born, and finally moved out after he retired from Chrysler in '82. I'm very happy with the fact that I could drive to the house, point at the second story window on the left and say "That was my room....."

Danny:

I lived within a block or two of two of the addresses that you listed, but that was many moons ago.
    We did not have the same Street Prophets. We simply wanted to "smoke dope and f--- in the streets"!

bobl,

The Ghettoman had founded the Street Prophets in 2000. I've joined in the group in 2001 and become member representative #174. Our meetings are secret and membership to our organization is rare.

9936 Sussex,

Have to ever been to the Atlas Theater in your time?

Anybody remember the Quickee Cafeterias that used to be all over downtown? There was also a hole in the wall Italian place called Luigi's I used to walk to for lunch when I worked at Himelhoch's.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Anybody remember the Quickee Cafeterias that used to be all over downtown? There was also a hole in the wall Italian place called Luigi's I used to walk to for lunch when I worked at Himelhoch's.
    I've never heard of Quickee Cafeterias. But my mother did often shop at the Himelhoch's on Kercheval in the Village in Grosse Pointe. I used to drive her crazy by pronouncing it "Hemel-hoch-ess."

Danny: Not sure what you're asking. The ATlas Theatre was on Plymouth, somewhere west of Greenfield. It was your typical neighborhood theatre. They would show 2 feature films and cartoons. Movies cost 15 cents, a box of popcorn was 10 cents. [[I'm really dating myself, but this was late 50's-early 60's). A crowd of kids would walk there and walk back. I started going when I was around 8--with the oldest kid in the crowd being 12.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast