Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: burger chef

There was a Burger Chef at Grand River/ 8 Mile in Livonia . Then Hardee's bought out Burger Chef, closed the Hardees at 8 Middlebelt and took over the Burger Chef bldg.

Then Wendy's bought out Hardee's in metro Detroit. Converted all but one of them to either Wendy's or Tim Horton's. Ironic. They closed their much newer Wendy's across the street and turned that old Burger Chef/ Hardee's into a Wendy's. That must be one valuable corner, the building sure isn't.

I believe there was one on Plymouth Rd east of Farmington in Livonia. In my mind's eye, it was by a Clark service station, maybe? Late 60's time frame...

I recall one at 5 mile [[or 6?) and Newburgh in the early 70's.

I remember them well. Lived near the Westland location on Wayne south of Cherry Hill. Think I might have one of them tokens at my Moms.. My mom Hated Hardees.She said Burger Chef was way better.I miss both of them, Yet I am too lazy to travel to the East Side for Hardees, Maybe one day.

Burger Chef and Jeff [[his sidekick in the cartoon tv commercials) Their food wasn't half bad. I remember they used to put a ton of shredded lettuce on their burgers. It was better than Burger King. Anyone remember "fast Freddies" and their "Pita burger"?
    They didn't last too long.

As fast-food burgers go, Burger Chef was a cut above McDonald's and Burger King in taste. It always bugged me that although the name of the restaurant was "Burger Chef," with a "C" in "chef," the top two burgers were "Big Shef" and "Super Shef," with an "S". Confusing!!!

I would bet that issue, right there, is why they went out of business.

Quote: "Big Shef" and "Super Shef," with an "S". Confusing!!!"

Yeah I seem to recall that too, I wonder why they did that?

there was one on inkster s of cherry hil

I was always partial to "Peppy's" I know there was one around 9 mile and Coolidge.

You could get a bag of fries there by ordering by the pound. I thought that was too cool.

9mile&seneca Guest

Honeyman, you may be thinking of Nelson's at 9 and Coolidge.

Not sure.....it was somewhere in Berkley, I think

I remember Peppy's. I believe the burgers were good, but the clown motif always disturbed me as a kid.

The Nelsons at 9 Mile Rd. East of Coolidge in Oak Park became a Burger Chef sometime around 1970. I also recall that they were the first hamburger chain to have a [[small) topping bar that included a shredded lettuce salad and dressings as well. You could get your burgers "with" toppings or "without" and you could also add you own from the toppings bar.

9mile&seneca Guest

Thanks Thomprod. I always wondered what happened to Nelson's. No one seems to remember it but you.

I went to the Grand Opening of the one on Mack & 7 mile in the 70's. Larry Hand & Bob Kolwalkowski of the Lions were there and autographed pictures for us kids. I worked there in the late 70's. There were some real characters that used to frequent the place including the big guy with the buzz cut from the nearby car wash who used to wear the black work shoes with the tops cut off. From the side they looked like regular shoes, but there was nothing on top but the shoe laces. When I had bathroom cleanup duty, I would often have to wait for him to come out because he would be in there taking a very thorough sponge bath.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2