Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default cooking-self maybe a trouble

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    If you have cooking facilities, you should have no trouble getting rice, fresh vegetables and meat to make your own stir fries [[that's what we call it when you quickly fry things in a tiny bit of oil and maybe make a little sauce out of the pan drippings by adding a little hot water, then serving it over a bowl of rice. That should help you out if you are having trouble adjusting to the higher fat, higher salt and huge portions of the American food.

The weather here could be anywhere from 60 degrees Fahrenheit to 100 in the time period. It cools off from the middle of August through October, and might even snow in October, but only a little and it will quickly melt and warm up. 50s-60s F is common in October.

What is the weather like where you are?
    I think I will be arranged to live on campus, not in a apartment, therefor there are not any cookers in the dorm. DIY on meal will be impossible. How about the canteen in school?
    It is in summer here now. I am living in Wuhan City, one of the "stove-cities" in China. Although it is about 86s F now, but in July and August, it is often over 104s F.

Default Till now,I haven't contract with any peasons who can help me in the Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Doesn't the school have some kind of exchange student coordinator who can help you?
    Sorry for my wrong title.Rewrite as follow:
    Till now, I haven't contacted with any persons who can help me in the Kettring University. I posted the threads here in order to gain help from others and make friends.
    Last edited by dylan.zhong; June-02-10 at 09:16 AM.

We will try to get Gumby into this discussion. He is our resident authority on Flint and will know the situation.

http://www.kettering.edu/futurestudents/international/

The Office of International Programs is the facilitator for international students, professors, scholars and visitors from around the world. We provide services and information on F-1 and J-1 immigration status issues, exchange programs, orientation sessions, employment, taxes, cultural tours, etc.

Upon arrival on campus F-1 and J-1 students and J-1 scholars/professors are required to report to the International Office Room 1-919 in the Academic Building, with their passports, visas, and I-94 cards. This office maintains a file with information that may be requested by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Here's a link to the International Programs page at Kettering.
    http://www.kettering.edu/futurestude...onal/index.jsp
    It looks like they offer a lot of help for their international students, including special housing.
    Here is direct contact info:
    International Office Staff:

Dr. Luchen Li
    Director - International Office International Programs
    [[810) 762-9690
    lli@kettering.edu

Beckie Campbell
    International Student Coordinator
    [[810) 762-9801
    rcampbel@kettering.edu
    Contact Us:
    Academic Building 1-919
    1700 University Avenue
    Flint, MI 48504- 6214
    Phone: [[810) 762-9869
    Fax: [[810) 762-9520
    international@kettering.edu

Faith Brown
    Student Assistant
    [[810) 762-9702

Chen Jiang
    Student Assistant
    [[810) 762-9702

But I'm guessing you already have this info as you are an incoming student

Default It is a exciting message.Thank you and keep expecting

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    We will try to get Gumby into this discussion. He is our resident authority on Flint and will know the situation.
    As the title.

Default Thank for your information

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Here's a link to the International Programs page at Kettering.
    http://www.kettering.edu/futurestude...onal/index.jsp
    It looks like they offer a lot of help for their international students, including special housing.
    Here is direct contact info:
    International Office Staff:

Dr. Luchen Li
    Director - International Office International Programs
    [[810) 762-9690
    lli@kettering.edu

Beckie Campbell
    International Student Coordinator
    [[810) 762-9801
    rcampbel@kettering.edu
    Contact Us:
    Academic Building 1-919
    1700 University Avenue
    Flint, MI 48504- 6214
    Phone: [[810) 762-9869
    Fax: [[810) 762-9520
    international@kettering.edu

Faith Brown
    Student Assistant
    [[810) 762-9702

Chen Jiang
    Student Assistant
    [[810) 762-9702

But I'm guessing you already have this info as you are an incoming student

I got it, thank you. I have sent a e-mail to them and waiting for replying
    Last edited by dylan.zhong; June-02-10 at 10:00 AM.

The weather here will average about 20 degrees F cooler than you have at home, it sounds like.

It looks like Kettering has a student cafeteria, but there don't seem to be any menu postings to show what they have there. You should have choices, soup, salad, sandwiches, hot dishes, including vegetables. They will probably have hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza most days.

During the Woodward Dream Cruise last August we stopped at a Kettering exhibit of an electric car the students had made. We waited to get a ride in it, but it came back needing to be charged for 45 minutes, so we didn't get our ride. The students seemed to be really happy with Kettering.

Default What is the typical daily schedule of student in university?

The weather here will average about 20 degrees F cooler than you have at home, it sounds like.

It looks like Kettering has a student cafeteria, but there don't seem to be any menu postings to show what they have there. You should have choices, soup, salad, sandwiches, hot dishes, including vegetables. They will probably have hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza most days.

During the Woodward Dream Cruise last August we stopped at a Kettering exhibit of an electric car the students had made. We waited to get a ride in it, but it came back needing to be charged for 45 minutes, so we didn't get our ride. The students seemed to be really happy with Kettering.
    In the school of USA, how long do the students attend school in every day?

It will depend on your class schedule. I was able to schedule my four classes between 8 am and noon so I could go to work from 1 pm to 5 pm. When are the classes you want to take scheduled?

Default I still don't konw now.

It will depend on your class schedule. I was able to schedule my four classes between 8 am and noon so I could go to work from 1 pm to 5 pm. When are the classes you want to take scheduled?
    Our school in China has not provided the achedule to me. Maybe next week I can get it.

In USA, how long is every class? 1 hour per class?

When I was in college - classes ran a bit like this....
    If the class was a "three day a week class" then it was 1 to 2 hours long
    If the class was a "two day a week class" then it was 2-3 hours long.
    If the class met "one class per week" then it was 3-4 hours long.

The timing of your classes really depends on the schedule you selected.
    My first year in college I had classes intermittently through the day from 8am through 5pm [[Monday to Friday)

By the time I was a second year student - I had the scheduling tips down.
    I used to wait till the university dropped classes for kids that didn't pay their bill on time.
    I'd grab the classes & make up a perfect schedule.

My version of a perfect schedule was to select all my classes on Tuesday and Thursday from 9am to 9pm. Then it left me large blocks of time to study or work. I put myself through school - so large blocks of work and study time were important.

I wish you the best at Kettering! Must be very exciting for you!

Quote Originally Posted by dylan.zhong View Post
    In USA, how long is every class? 1 hour per class?
    It depends on the school. Usually classes are listed by credit-hours per week. So a five credit-hour class is five hours per week, probably one hour per day. Labs are usually longer, 1.5x to 2x as long, so one credit hour lab session is two hours long. Most of my regular classes in college were three or four credit-hours, so I went an hour per day for three or four days a week. My engineering classes were four credit hours plus a one credit hour lab, so one hour a day for four days, and one two-hour lab on another day.

Usually the schedules are pretty flexible, and several time-day combinations are offered. For instance, a four credit-hour class might include a schedule with two one-hour periods, and one two-hour period per week, so you only have to go three days. I managed to schedule a few semesters with Thursdays off by doing this, but I had class from 9AM to 7PM every other day.

The Chinese Association of Greater Detroit should be able to help you.

http://www.cagd.org/

For auto industry contacts - Detroit Chinese Engineer Association.

http://www.detroitengineer.org/

Any questions you have about the Flint area I will be happy to answer. I would be glad to show you around when you arrive and help get aquainted with the surrounding areas. Flint is a great town to live in and although I am sure you have heard we have our crime problems it is a relatively safe place to live.

I will look over this thread later to see if there are any questions I can answer as soon as I get home from work tonight. In the mean time feel free to ask anything of me on here.

Default Then,how long is the total classes in a week for freshman?

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    It depends on the school. Usually classes are listed by credit-hours per week. So a five credit-hour class is five hours per week, probably one hour per day. Labs are usually longer, 1.5x to 2x as long, so one credit hour lab session is two hours long. Most of my regular classes in college were three or four credit-hours, so I went an hour per day for three or four days a week. My engineering classes were four credit hours plus a one credit hour lab, so one hour a day for four days, and one two-hour lab on another day.

Usually the schedules are pretty flexible, and several time-day combinations are offered. For instance, a four credit-hour class might include a schedule with two one-hour periods, and one two-hour period per week, so you only have to go three days. I managed to schedule a few semesters with Thursdays off by doing this, but I had class from 9AM to 7PM every other day.

In China, to freshman, there are about 22~25 class-hours per week for classes, and 4 hours in the morning , from 8 to 12, 2 hours in the afternoon, form 2pm. to 4pm. , and usually there are not lessons in evening and Fridan afternoon. In the 3nd year of four-years-school, the class-hours per week are became fewer, commonly 18 or fewer hours per week.
    What is the difference between USA and China in this respect?

Default Thank you for your paticipation

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Any questions you have about the Flint area I will be happy to answer. I would be glad to show you around when you arrive and help get aquainted with the surrounding areas. Flint is a great town to live in and although I am sure you have heard we have our crime problems it is a relatively safe place to live.

I will look over this thread later to see if there are any questions I can answer as soon as I get home from work tonight. In the mean time feel free to ask anything of me on here.
    I have many questions about Flint and campus of Kettring University
    1. What is the population of Flint?
    2. What is the ratio of Chinese in Flint?
    3. In kettring University or at the surrounding area, are there any Chinese restaurnnts,or surpermakets which supply Chinese food?
    4. In weekend, What are your suggestions for outing?

The class schedule will depend on the classes you choose. Classes are offered during the days and evenings. I am not too sure about Kettering, but the other colleges and universities around this area are set up for commuter students who may have jobs so they have to have choices so they can accommodate their work schedules.

I live in Flint and would be then happy to give you any guidance you want.
    Kettering is in a very tough neighborhood. When in Flint there is plenty of things to do, but you have to know what spots to avoid.
    Flint used to have a population of around 150,000 now its dwindled to maybe 90,000.
    There are a lot of Chinese eateries and stores.
    Try to find a guy on here named Gumby, he is your best resourse for all things Flint

Isn't the point of coming to America for a semester or two to get familiar with America and take its manufacturing knowledge back to China?

Why ask about how many Chinese and where to get Chinese food?

How about asking where you can learn most about American culture, food, etc while you have the chance?

Or does that part not matter and you just want to take the manufacturing knowledge back to China?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Isn't the point of coming to America for a semester or two to get familiar with America and take its manufacturing knowledge back to China?

Why ask about how many Chinese and where to get Chinese food?

How about asking where you can learn most about American culture, food, etc while you have the chance?

Or does that part not matter and you just want to take the manufacturing knowledge back to China?
    First of all, you don't have to be such a prick. Second, don't worry, US companies provide all the training and knowledge employees need when they build their factories there.

Default Ssome misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by milt721 View Post
    First of all, you don't have to be such a prick. Second, don't worry, US companies provide all the training and knowledge employees need when they build their factories there.
    Thanks to milt721 and not mind to East Detroit's questions. Maybe my introdution and questions lead to some misunderstanding to you.
    The purpose about my coming to the USA is for management courses of automobile manufacture. Our company is making a cooperation with FIAT, so I was chosen out to study morden management knowledge. The first step is going to Kettering University.
    I asked some question about the culture and diet only because of my interest, and if anyone is interesting in China, asking me about it is OK.

Default How much ist the cost of living as a student?

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I live in Flint and would be then happy to give you any guidance you want.
    Kettering is in a very tough neighborhood. When in Flint there is plenty of things to do, but you have to know what spots to avoid.
    Flint used to have a population of around 150,000 now its dwindled to maybe 90,000.
    There are a lot of Chinese eateries and stores.
    Try to find a guy on here named Gumby, he is your best resourse for all things Flint
    Can you tell me some living goods price?such as toothbrush,shampoo,body wash ect. Of course, the price is base on common brand.
    Gumby has replied me some questions on his post and I asked him other questions and I am waiting his replying.
    Thanks a lot.

Default Study in school and learn in life

The class schedule will depend on the classes you choose. Classes are offered during the days and evenings. I am not too sure about Kettering, but the other colleges and universities around this area are set up for commuter students who may have jobs so they have to have choices so they can accommodate their work schedules.
    I hope I can either study in school or learn in life. During in the USA, I hope I can experient more local lifestyle. Surely it is of great help for my career.

Thank all the peasons who gave me suggestions and thank DetroitYes.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan.zhong View Post
    In China, to freshman, there are about 22~25 class-hours per week for classes, and 4 hours in the morning , from 8 to 12, 2 hours in the afternoon, form 2pm. to 4pm. , and usually there are not lessons in evening and Fridan afternoon. In the 3nd year of four-years-school, the class-hours per week are became fewer, commonly 18 or fewer hours per week.
    What is the difference between USA and China in this respect?
    It depends on the particular college, but usually you can set up your hours however you want, depending on how the courses are offered. I think you need to take at least 20 credit hours a week, but most students take between 30 and 40. The hours per week don't really decrease after time, though you can lower the average if you take summer classes [[a lot of students take the summer off to work or take internships.) As I said before, usually the classes are clustered around four days per week with an open day, but classes are also usually offered on the open day if you don't want the weekday off. Evening courses are also usually available if you want to take those.

Overall the courses tend to be pretty flexible as far as time goes. A lot of students also work part or full time, so universities offer a variety of available times for classes to be taken.

My father-in-law went to Kettering back when it was still General Motors Institute. It's a very good university to attend if you're looking for training in the automotive field.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast