Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    There was a plan, there was not a fully funded plan. People in this area need to keep their memories intact and realize that the building needed to come down. It's one of the few things that Detroit has done right when it comes to demolishing an old empty building. A museum wouldn't have worked in that building without millions of dollars, which weren't available.
    Not that this old debate needs to be rehashed [[since the stadium's gone and there's nothing to be done about that now) but my memory is pretty intact, and what I remember is that there was a partially-funded plan, with wide community support as well as backing from Sen. Carl Levin, to reuse the site. The possibility of raising the remaining funds existed, but no one said it would be easy to get there. I'm sure that the money could have been raised eventually. But the fundamental problem is there was absolutely no hurry to demolish, since the DEGC had, and has, no other plans to redevelop the site.

Thanks to the citizenry for cleaning the diamond. In response to Gwinevere, though, of course the city isn't going to maintain it, since they had no problem demolishing it in the first place. That's why I think that repairing the diamond and reusing it is one good way of ensuring it is preserved as a ballfield, which I believe is the best possible future for that site.

Now here's an interesting way of hptographing the stadium. Before it was demo'd someone used a radio controled airplane to shoot aereal footage of the stadium.
    Link.

Back when there were still ideas....

Did not materialize. Let's face it. From the outside it was not that remarkable looking. And if they changed the inside like they wanted to do in that video, it wasn't a stadium anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    There was a plan, there was not a fully funded plan. People in this area need to keep their memories intact and realize that the building needed to come down. It's one of the few things that Detroit has done right when it comes to demolishing an old empty building. A museum wouldn't have worked in that building without millions of dollars, which weren't available.
    My memory is fully intact.

At the time that the City decided to demolish Tiger Stadium, a federal earmark had passed both houses of Congress and been signed into law by the President. Those funds, plus what the OTSC had already raised, were more than enough to rehab the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    Not that this old debate needs to be rehashed [[since the stadium's gone and there's nothing to be done about that now) but my memory is pretty intact, and what I remember is that there was a partially-funded plan, with wide community support as well as backing from Sen. Carl Levin, to reuse the site. The possibility of raising the remaining funds existed, but no one said it would be easy to get there. I'm sure that the money could have been raised eventually. But the fundamental problem is there was absolutely no hurry to demolish, since the DEGC had, and has, no other plans to redevelop the site.
    A couple of points.

First, the earmark passed both houses of Congress and was signed into law. Therefore, their plan was fully funded; not partially funded.

As for the advantages of rehashing the OTSC plan, I'd like to remind everyone that the individuals who blocked the redevelopment of Tiger Stadium are still in charge. We as a community have a choice to make. Do we wait for them to screw up another deal and cost us even more jobs? Or do we start demanding better?

The last I heard the funds are still available for preserving the field and building a memorial. The OTSC or whoeever just needs to submit a plan and the money is in the bank.

What I would like to know what the heck is the big deal with keeping people out? They keep locking the gates, and a few days later the locks are mysteriously removed!

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    of course the city isn't going to maintain it, since they had no problem demolishing it in the first place..
    I'm not talking about the city, I'm talking about the OTSC.

When I was visiting the home opener weekend [[also weekend of the Frozen Four), the field was unlocked and the gates were open. Along with some others, I went onto the field, walked around, stood on the mound, and just enjoyed the experience of being able to stand on the same field where so much history had taken place. At the time, the flagpole was still in good shape and the flag was still flying. It angers [[but does not surprise) me that someone would have vandalized the pole. I hope that the flag can once again be raised soon. It is unfortunate that the field cannot be open all the time, but people like those vandals do provide one reason. Good luck to anyone trying to maintain the field. Hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    The last I heard the funds are still available for preserving the field and building a memorial. The OTSC or whoeever just needs to submit a plan and the money is in the bank.
    The funds from the federal earmark went back to the U.S. Treasury once the Stadium was demolished. Most of what the OTSC raised through private donations was either spent on engineering and architectural work prior to demo, spent securing the site prior to demo, or was handed over the City.

The funds that were handed over to the City were subsequently used to demolish the stadium.

Here is a letter from Senator Levin...

Thank you for contacting me about the redevelopment of Tiger Stadium. I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development Appropriations Act of 2009 [[P.L. 111-8), which was signed into law by President Obama on March 11, 2009, included a $3.8 million Economic Development Initiative [[EDI) grant for the Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy for the preservation and redevelopment of Tiger Stadium and for related business activities in the Corktown neighborhood. Although the physical structure of Tiger Stadium has recently been torn down, I remain hopeful that we can work together to preserve the historic Navin Field site for future generations and to use the project to bring increased economic activity into the surrounding Corktown neighborhood and the city of Detroit.

The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy has not yet signed a contract with the Department of Housing and Urban Development [[HUD) to take receipt of the $3.8 million EDI grant and begin its project. The grant will remain available to the Conservancy until September 30, 2011. Currently, the Conservancy is drafting its redevelopment project proposal, which they will need to submit to HUD for approval. I look forward to the start of this vital project, which will preserve a part of our shared history while creating jobs and stimulating the local economy.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me.

Sincerely,
    Carl Levin

Default HBO shooting all summer?

Just saw this posted on the Spirit of Tiger Stadium FB site...

"Folks the historic playing field at the Corner of Michigan & Trumbull the Tiger Stadium site is now in the caring hands of HBO Productions who have leased the property from the City of Detroit through the summer to restore and improve for a currently showing HBO TV sit com.

Several of the powers that be for HBO have Detroit roots and o...ur supporters of not only baseball but Tiger Stadium and its importance to the State of Michigan.

HBO has had great interest in this location for a decade and would like to be part of the effort to see it become active part of the Corktown Community by bringing it back to life.

Let's give HBO Productions and its hometown leaders a great big hug and thank you for caring about this Detroit orginal.

More details to come and its great to see the Corner being kept "alive" !!!"

That's great to hear! I saw some filming going on today over there.

Stromberg2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2