Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    You don't think that perhaps saying "at least he was never indicted" might undermine your point a little?

I never said at least he was never indicted. I did say, he was never indicted period. If he was as corrupt as the OP indicates, where is the PROOF?

Mayor Young could have corrupt as the next guy. My point is that if the government couldn't put the case together, I doubt some racist with a silly name could....but please, continue to misinterpret all you like in order for what I said to fit your agenda and beliefs.

bartock Guest

I like [[insert) people.

Some of my best friends are [[insert) people.

There is that one [[insert) person on TV[[and/or a movie). He/She is my favorite.

I often [[stereotypical activity attribute to race/culture). It's fun.

Bearinabox,
    I suppose I should humbly back down and listen to your command of,

“Please learn the difference before foisting another "interesting" article on us.”

However—this article, whether it be good or bad, certainly got you on here breaking down every word people speak—now didn’t it! Why did you bother if the discussion was not worthy?

Remember what you said, “There are legitimate differences of opinion,”

But no matter what you think, sir/mam, they are worthy of discussion. See, I even took the time to reply to you, because you are equally important!

Other than cronyism and incompetence [[except for Archer in most cases) the rest of the article is shit.

Detroit wishes it had an immigration problem. In fact immigration does more to turn around a recession that is does hamper it. Many studies back that up.

Immigrants are harder working, more entrepreneurial and save more $$$ than us lazy layabout N. americans. They have to because they are often at a disadvantage.

I HATE people who bullshit about immigration being such a negative force [[unless illegal). This is nothing but racist crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    I never said at least he was never indicted. I did say, he was never indicted period. If he was as corrupt as the OP indicates, where is the PROOF?

Mayor Young could have corrupt as the next guy. My point is that if the government couldn't put the case together, I doubt some racist with a silly name could....but please, continue to misinterpret all you like in order for what I said to fit your agenda and beliefs.
    oh fern dial down the righteous indignation a few dozen notches. I have no agenda other than to point out innaity when I feel like it. your defense of coleman is the same as saying Al Capone never killed anyone because he was only charged with tax evasion. Colman Young was just as crooked as anyone out there and was..as shown by never getting indicted, pretty damn good at it. embrace it, own it, Colman sure did.

You're the only one doing any despising here. People should be allowed to say they like where they live without you jumping all over them
    . I'm not jumping all over anyone. it's a simple question. you're the one that has taken it personally...and hasn't answered it.

What the hell has race got to do with multiculturalism?
    because in detroit race and ethnicity/culture overlap to the extent they are are virtually identical. Detroit's 80% black population is not made up of an amalgam of pan African or Caribbean immigrants bringing separate and distinct cultures to Detroit. [[maybe if it was, AfricaTown would have had more legs?) Detroit's black population is the result of the great migration of the teens and 20s from the American south. Detroit's black population is a multi ethnic as Grosse Pointe's whites are. Frankly if one had "multicultral" as one's top prioity [[as he seems to say) then wouldn't Dearborn be the city of choice? Or perhaps Hamtramck? or maybe those are "the city" he's talking about?

No it isn't all relative. By your logic, the entire country isn't "diverse" since 80% of the people who live here identify as "white". But that's a ridiculous assertion, especially when you realize that 20% of the U.S. population is millions of people
    . You're confabulating the macro view and the micro there. If one were to zoom out far enough, the WORLD is a very diverse place. The fact is, Detroit clearly isn't. the same way Birmingham isn't. I'm not advocating this as a good thing...just stating the obvious.

Yes, Detroit is 80% black, but since Detroit is also very large, 20% of it is a large amount of people. On the other hand, 20% of Troy ain't all that much. And statistically, outside of a handful of other places like Dearborn, Southfield and maybe West Bloomfield, the suburbs only get whiter [[most much whiter than Detroit is black %age wise).
    That makes no sense. 8 out of 10 is still 8 out of 10 no matter how many zeros one puts after the number. If 8 [[or9) out of 10 is "bad" in the suburbs how is it not "bad" in Detroit? If a Hispanic kid is going to school in detroit he's still going to be going to school with 80% being a different population. That 80% might be 2000 kids in Detroit, and it may be 400 in Troy. But the kid is still in a distinct and tiny minority as compared to the super majority.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    In fact immigration does more to turn around a recession that is does hamper it. Many studies back that up.
    I'd like to see those studies. Most great waves of immigration happen during times of prosperity. It is the opportunity of employment which draws them here. If the number of jobs are reduced, as in a recession, they must compete for jobs with those already unemployed.

In a developing economy, immigrants traditionally take low wage, low skill jobs, replacing those that go on to higher wage, higher skilled jobs. So it is to the benefit of everyone. But when industry advances and low skilled, low wage jobs are reduced, immigrants begin to compete for higher wage jobs. This poses a problem because the people they replace have no higher paying jobs to go to.

Mr. Woolridge must not have read this one:

There is no shortage of theories to explain the dramatic drop in crime that transformed New York City during the 1990s.

The so-called “broken windows theory”, beloved by Giuliani-era Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, has its champions and skeptics. The robust economy did its part. Increased incaceration rates probably helped, too.

But new evidence suggests that the New York crime miracle may have been driven, in part, by the city’s large population of immigrants.

Tim Wadsworth, a professor of sociology at the University of Colorado, studied U.S. cities with more than 50,000 people, collecting statistics on murder and robberies from the FBI and demographic data from the Census between 1990 and 2000. His conclusion defies a common perception that an influx of immigrants can increase social problems, including crime.

“The cities that experience the greatest growth in immigration were the same one that were experiencing the greatest declines in violent crime,” he said. “While I don’t think I or anyone else will argue that immigration can explain the bulk of the crime drop, it seems like this is an important piece of the puzzle.”
    http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010...ks-crime-drop/

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    oh fern dial down the righteous indignation a few dozen notches. I have no agenda other than to point out innaity when I feel like it. your defense of coleman is the same as saying Al Capone never killed anyone because he was only charged with tax evasion. Colman Young was just as crooked as anyone out there and was..as shown by never getting indicted, pretty damn good at it. embrace it, own it, Colman sure did.
    BULLSHIT! Your agenda is well known as anyone reading your posts can attest to. My riighteous indignation is exactly where it should be when it comes to dealing with trolls.
    Go back and read my previous post - I said that Mayor Young may have been corrupt - I DON"T KNOW. If he was, WHERE IS THE PROOF?!

But again, continue to see everything through your agenda specs....

[[excuse the thread jack all)

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    BULLSHIT! Your agenda is well known as anyone reading your posts can attest to. My riighteous indignation is exactly where it should be when it comes to dealing with trolls.
    Go back and read my previous post - I said that Mayor Young may have been corrupt - I DON"T KNOW. If he was, WHERE IS THE PROOF?!

But again, continue to see everything through your agenda specs....

[[excuse the thread jack all)
    If you dont "KNOW" Young was corrupt it's because you choose to willfully ignore the facts and that is really not my problem, that is your choice. Planting one's head firmly in the sand is de riguere around here. Not being "caught" does not equal not guilty. But, as long as we're denying facts... I have a pile of Krugerrand to sell ya.

If not being caught is your exceeding low bar for public corruption, then were was the PROOOF [[all caps screaming ) that Richard [[M. or J.) Daley was corrupt? IIRC neither were indicted. After all, if Chicago is known for anything it's its squeeky clean Daley machine.

But frankly fern, i have no agenda. Coleman was a corrupt as the day is long. Just like the administration that preceded his 5 terms and just like Kwames. Oh wait. Kwame wasn't corrupt. he wasn't indicted for that. He lied under oath. Totally different. The Kilptrick regime was super clean...just like the Daleys.

Anyway fern, you do seem to be suffering under some delusion that I care what you think. which i don't. [[to all, I personally do not apologize for the thread jack because the original post was stupid racist trash anyway.)
    Last edited by bailey; May-28-10 at 01:06 PM.

I don't know whats worse:

Ignorant Racisim
    or
    A racisit who thinks he is intelligent.

This shit makes me want to vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I'd like to see those studies. Most great waves of immigration happen during times of prosperity. It is the opportunity of employment which draws them here. If the number of jobs are reduced, as in a recession, they must compete for jobs with those already unemployed.

In a developing economy, immigrants traditionally take low wage, low skill jobs, replacing those that go on to higher wage, higher skilled jobs. So it is to the benefit of everyone. But when industry advances and low skilled, low wage jobs are reduced, immigrants begin to compete for higher wage jobs. This poses a problem because the people they replace have no higher paying jobs to go to.
    Makes sense....and labor shortages bump wages...I know from working in retail in management and worker level, when the economy is going strong, managers can hire workers at close to top rate [[union contract)......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3