Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I think it is the constant stream of immigrants that has kept Hamtramck afloat, over the years.
    Immigrants is what has kept all major cities afloat -- at least the ones that aren't nearly in a failed state. I don't know what example of success this idiot Frosty Wooldridge is looking at to say immigrants killed Detroit.
    Last edited by iheartthed; May-27-10 at 08:09 AM.

Checkraisej,

I think you need to get a grip. Your comment of,

“The original poster should also be ashamed for disseminating the rantings of such a racist,”

to me, is absurd. First of all, I began my post with:

“I am not familiar with this writer, but I found his article on why Detroit is failing very interesting.”

Which made it very clear that I knew nothing about this man other than he stated,

“For 15 years, from the mid 1970s to 1990, I worked in Detroit, Michigan.”

To me, his view was one of a person that I assumed lived and worked in Detroit, and that made me interested in his opinion—no matter what it was. I am interested in what everyone has to say. I have paid attention to this thread, and I hear what folks are saying. Seems to me, some folks want to scream racism about everything, and some folks like to knock people around without really listening to them. I didn’t find racism existed in any of the comments made about the article, but it was implied.

I think posting the article brought about a good discussion. However, it is too bad some folks have to get irate if someone has an opinion different from theirs.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Sue Bridges View Post
    Which made it very clear that I knew nothing about this man other than he stated,

“For 15 years, from the mid 1970s to 1990, I worked in Detroit, Michigan.”
    I'd never heard of the guy either. The issue isn't that that you posted something written by a racist, it's that the article itself is nothing but seething, irrational bigotry from start to finish. If you think the sentiments expressed in the article are worthy of our attention to the point that you're willing to actively propagate them, you should be willing to accept the...problematic implications of that.
    To me, his view was one of a person that I assumed lived and worked in Detroit, and that made me interested in his opinion—no matter what it was. I am interested in what everyone has to say.
    Okay, but you didn't stop at being interested. You actively spread his ideas around. You haven't posted every article that has ever been written about Detroit by someone who has lived and worked here, but you went out of your way to post this one. There are many more accurate and insightful takes about why Detroit is where it is; you could have posted any of them and started a far more stimulating discussion than this one. Most of the interesting posts on this thread are interesting in spite of the article, not because of it.
    I have paid attention to this thread, and I hear what folks are saying. Seems to me, some folks want to scream racism about everything, and some folks like to knock people around without really listening to them.
    Did you read the article before you posted it? The guy's entire thesis is that Detroit was perfectly fine until all those black and brown people came and wrecked it. People aren't just screaming "racism" to exercise their vocal cords. Give me a fucking break.
    I think posting the article brought about a good discussion. However, it is too bad some folks have to get irate if someone has an opinion different from theirs.
    There are legitimate differences of opinion, and then there is bigoted crap that is simply not worthy of discussion. Please learn the difference before foisting another "interesting" article on us.