Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I'm sure rick can speak for himself. however, I'm guessing he's referencing Detroit when he says "the city". I'm also inferring that he moved from the suburbs as he says he "moved into" the city. Maybe I read in too much, but generally when one says they "moved into the city" it's assumed they "moved out of" somewhere else. somewhere else, around here, generally means the suburbs.

He states he moved into the city for the specific reason that it was multicultural, my only question is how is Detroit [[city of) any more "multi cultural" than the suburbs that surround it?
    It doesn't make any more sense the more you repeat yourself, you know. I'm sorry you're butthurt that Rick didn't move to Troy, we all know Troy is the most multicultural place ever [[and has low taxes and good schools and all the rest). Don't worry, I'm sure someone else who knows a real multicultural community when he sees one will move in there and fill the void left by Rick's scathing rejection. Chin up, bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    It doesn't make any more sense the more you repeat yourself, you know. I'm sorry you're butthurt that Rick didn't move to Troy, we all know Troy is the most multicultural place ever [[and has low taxes and good schools and all the rest). Don't worry, I'm sure someone else who knows a real multicultural community when he sees one will move in there and fill the void left by Rick's scathing rejection. Chin up, bailey.
    Where did I EVER ONCE ADVOCATE MOVING TO TROY? Not once not EVER. Troy could disappear from the map and I would not notice. I simply pointed out the similar [[albeit opposite) demographics of populations. One is despised, one is apparently lauded. I'm wondering why.

Simple question bearinabox, how is Detroit a multicultural place where 8 out of 10 are one race?

Also, 5% of Detroit [[the Hispanic population) is more than half the population of Troy. So what kind of diverse community does a couple hundred people of Asian descent establish in Troy? Versus 45,000 Hispanics in Detroit
    It's all relative isnt it? 80% of the city is one race... 720,000. how many more times is that the size of the next largest city in the state? if it's NOT multicultural to have 80% of Troy be white...how is it multicultural to have 80% of Detroit be black?

Bearinabox Guest

Where did I EVER ONCE ADVOCATE MOVING TO TROY? Not once not EVER. Troy could disappear from the map and I would not notice. I simply pointed out the similar [[albeit opposite) demographics of populations. One is despised, one is apparently lauded. I'm wondering why.
    You're the only one doing any despising here. People should be allowed to say they like where they live without you jumping all over them.
    Simple question bearinabox, how is Detroit a multicultural place where 8 out of 10 are one race?
    What the hell has race got to do with multiculturalism?

You're the only one doing any despising here. People should be allowed to say they like where they live without you jumping all over them
    . I'm not jumping all over anyone. it's a simple question. you're the one that has taken it personally...and hasn't answered it.

What the hell has race got to do with multiculturalism?
    because in detroit race and ethnicity/culture overlap to the extent they are are virtually identical. Detroit's 80% black population is not made up of an amalgam of pan African or Caribbean immigrants bringing separate and distinct cultures to Detroit. [[maybe if it was, AfricaTown would have had more legs?) Detroit's black population is the result of the great migration of the teens and 20s from the American south. Detroit's black population is a multi ethnic as Grosse Pointe's whites are. Frankly if one had "multicultral" as one's top prioity [[as he seems to say) then wouldn't Dearborn be the city of choice? Or perhaps Hamtramck? or maybe those are "the city" he's talking about?

No it isn't all relative. By your logic, the entire country isn't "diverse" since 80% of the people who live here identify as "white". But that's a ridiculous assertion, especially when you realize that 20% of the U.S. population is millions of people
    . You're confabulating the macro view and the micro there. If one were to zoom out far enough, the WORLD is a very diverse place. The fact is, Detroit clearly isn't. the same way Birmingham isn't. I'm not advocating this as a good thing...just stating the obvious.

Yes, Detroit is 80% black, but since Detroit is also very large, 20% of it is a large amount of people. On the other hand, 20% of Troy ain't all that much. And statistically, outside of a handful of other places like Dearborn, Southfield and maybe West Bloomfield, the suburbs only get whiter [[most much whiter than Detroit is black %age wise).
    That makes no sense. 8 out of 10 is still 8 out of 10 no matter how many zeros one puts after the number. If 8 [[or9) out of 10 is "bad" in the suburbs how is it not "bad" in Detroit? If a Hispanic kid is going to school in detroit he's still going to be going to school with 80% being a different population. That 80% might be 2000 kids in Detroit, and it may be 400 in Troy. But the kid is still in a distinct and tiny minority as compared to the super majority.

It's all relative isnt it? 80% of the city is one race... 720,000. how many more times is that the size of the next largest city in the state? if it's NOT multicultural to have 80% of Troy be white...how is it multicultural to have 80% of Detroit be black?
    No it isn't all relative. By your logic, the entire country isn't "diverse" since 80% of the people who live here identify as "white". But that's a ridiculous assertion, especially when you realize that 20% of the U.S. population is millions of people.

Yes, Detroit is 80% black, but since Detroit is also very large, 20% of it is a large amount of people. On the other hand, 20% of Troy ain't all that much. And statistically, outside of a handful of other places like Dearborn, Southfield and maybe West Bloomfield, the suburbs only get whiter [[most much whiter than Detroit is black %age wise). The only suburbs that don't get whiter are usually rundown, deteriorating communities with Detroit-like stigmas.

Retroit Guest

This is starting to remind me of a thread I started a year ago. I tried to give a list of how well the racial makeup of each city/suburb of Detroit compares to the racial makeup of the region, but some people couldn't get it through their skull that a 50% white/50% black city is not a realistic yardstick for integration. http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=943

cultural diversity and multi-culturalism has nothing to do with white... on the contrary, it has everything to do with non-white

the more non-white a community is, the more diverse and multi-cultural it is.. no matter if 80% of the population falls into one ethnic or racial category...

checkraisej Guest

This article has been roundly and nearly unanimously denounced by everyone on this thread. It's author counts David Duke as a colleague, is a known racist and xenophobe, proven liar, admitted and unrepentant hater of all immigrants, and a "rabid nativist". So, it should come as no surprise that Retroit would "...agree with just about everything" he says. Congratulations Retroit, you have admitted to aligning yourself with such a scumbag racist hate monger as Frosty Wooldridge. With this in mind, you should absolutely not be surprised about this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Considering the number of times I've been labeled a "racist" on this forum,

The original poster should also be ashamed for disseminating the rantings of such a racist.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    Congratulations Retroit, you have admitted to aligning yourself with such a scumbag racist hate monger as Frosty Wooldridge. With this in mind, you should absolutely not be surprised about this...
    Just because I agree with most of one article that a person has written doesn't mean I agree with everything they have ever written. I never even heard of the guy before. I just thought he made some valid points. The troubles brought on by establishment of the welfare state being one of them. As for the racist allegations, if I am not mistaken, Muslims and Mexicans are officially classified as white and not black, and the most potentially racist statement in Wooldridge's article is the quote of a man whom many Detroiters admire [[C.A.Y.).

My definition of a diverse, multi-cultural, integration society would be one where the people of different races, religions, ages, incomes, marital status, etc. reflect that of the greater population that you are comparing it to. So if the population of the United States, for example contains x% of y people, than a sub-grouping of the United States that has the same x% of y people would be as much diverse as is possible, because if they had more than x% of y people , that would mean that every other group is under-represented.

And lastly, can't we discuss matters dealing with race without trying to discredit people by calling them racist? Yeah, if I were to say, for example, "all black people are dumb", that is clearly racist. But if I were to say "many black people in Detroit suffer from a lack of good education", is that also racist?

Bearinabox Guest

Just because I agree with most of one article that a person has written doesn't mean I agree with everything they have ever written. I never even heard of the guy before. I just thought he made some valid points. The troubles brought on by establishment of the welfare state being one of them. As for the racist allegations, if I am not mistaken, Muslims and Mexicans are officially classified as white and not black, and the most potentially racist statement in Wooldridge's article is the quote of a man whom many Detroiters admire [[C.A.Y.).

My definition of a diverse, multi-cultural, integration society would be one where the people of different races, religions, ages, incomes, marital status, etc. reflect that of the greater population that you are comparing it to. So if the population of the United States, for example contains x% of y people, than a sub-grouping of the United States that has the same x% of y people would be as much diverse as is possible, because if they had more than x% of y people , that would mean that every other group is under-represented.

Keep digging.
    And lastly, can't we discuss matters dealing with race without trying to discredit people by calling them racist? Yeah, if I were to say, for example, "all black people are dumb", that is clearly racist. But if I were to say "many black people in Detroit suffer from a lack of good education", is that also racist?
    You say a lot of racist things. I suppose it's arguable whether or not that makes you a racist, but, as checkraisej said, it's not surprising that you're frequently labeled as one.

checkraisej Guest

Just because I agree with most of one article that a person has written doesn't mean I agree with everything they have ever written.
    But it doesn't help your case, either. That case being that you are not a racist. I get the feeling that you and ole Frosty have a lot in common. Check out some of his articles. I believe he's a regular contributor on David Duke's website. I find it hard to believe you haven't come across some of his stuff yet, though.

You really shouldn't be wondering why people try to label you a racist. Your total agreement with Forsty's article is just another point of evidence in that direction. I'm guessing you can often be overheard saying, "I'm not a racist, but...".