Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Irv Romig, WXYZ-TV's Ricky the Clown, has passed

Irv Romig, better known to Detroit baby boomers as WXYZ- TV's Ricky the Clown, died today. He was 90 years old.
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/Irv_Romig.htm

Sad news indeed. Another piece of my childhood goes away.

R.I.P.

Here's a short video clip of Ricky in action.
    http://www.detroitkidshow.com/rickyclown.wmv

My dad was a big Ricky fan growing up and about 15-20 years ago he was fortunate enough to get to interview him and eventually become friends. I got to go to his home a couple times as a kid and although I didn't really know who he was or was a fan of clowns in general, I had a great time watching him do some magic tricks, playing his calliope and showing off some of his museum quality circus and clown collectables. He and his wife were about as nice a couple as you could ever meet. My dad eventually lost touch and is now trying to find out some of the funeral details. Does anyone have any info? My google skills are not producing any fruit.

Mandziuk & Sons Funeral Home at Ryan and 18 mile.
    The viewing will be Tuesday from 1:00 pm until 9:00 pm
    The funeral will be on Wednesday, not quite sure of the time yet.

Thanks so much, Ed. I'll pass that along.

Thanks for that note Ed.....sad most of the boys from that era are now passed on. Appreciate your site, been checking in there for years. Keep it up, and find that Bosco Jar.

Maybe this remained unposted 'til now because it's too obvious or too foolish, but that's who I am:
    A little song . . . A little dance . . . A little seltzer down your pants.

That's what it's all about, folks. That's what he stood for. That's what gave his life meaning.
    Chuckles liked to make people laugh. And you know what I'd like to think?
    I'd like to think that somewhere up there tonight behind those pearly gates, in the Great Beyond, where some day all must go - - somewhere up there tonight, in honor of Chuckles, a celestial choir of angels is sitting on whoopie cushions.

-- David Lloyd, screenwriter
    'Mary Tyler Moore Show,' 1970

RC,
    You beat me to it...

We saw him at an event at the Roostertail a few years ago. He walked in as an elderly man but after he put on his make-up and costume, watching him perform I marveled that he had un-aged at least 40 years younger. After that we had the opportunity to meet him at his house to got a copy of his autobiography and a video of performances. He was eager to share stories, showed us parts of the film “The Greatest Show on Earth” that he appeared in, told us how he loved to entertain and was still available for performances. We only had that one enjoyable visit and left with the impression that he was one great, sincere man. Sorry to hear the news.

Quote Originally Posted by danofcamden View Post
    We saw him at an event at the Roostertail a few years ago. He walked in as an elderly man but after he put on his make-up and costume, watching him perform I marveled that he had un-aged at least 40 years younger.
    The Roostertail event was Irv's last public appearance as Ricky the Clown.

My wife and I have a picture of Ricky holding our daughter when she was about 3 years old at a circus event at Yack arena in Wyandotte.