Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CFABDETROIT Guest

Default Saving detroit starts with us

TO THE DETROIT PEOPLE, BUSNESSES, MEDIA AND GOVERNING BODY:

Hello, my name is Michael Stemmler and I’ve got an idea and a plan, I call it the Coalition for a better Detroit [[CFABD) and I feel that it could change our city in a wonderful way.
    PLEASE READ, I NEED YOUR SUPPORT, THANK YOU! : )
    [[THIS IS NOT A SCAM OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT, IM A PROUD PERSON OF DETROIT THAT WANTS CHANGE)
    Our city was once a wonderful place. It was safe, clean and respectable. We have had an amazing history like no other city. From the assembly lines to the Motown sound to the championships to the talent. But things started to decline for our city. Crime levels went up, riots broke out in the streets and more and more people started moving to the safer suburbs. In 1950 Detroit had 1,848,568 citizens and now in 2009 it is estimated that Detroit has only 900,000 left and declining each year.
    It’s because Detroit has many problems to deal with. The problem is that no one really has tried to get this city back on track. My plan incorporates the citizens, business and leaders of Detroit, something that has never been done. Uniting this city is a must, we cannot keep going on fighting each other and progress.
    We have had mayor after mayor try to “fix” Detroit just to end up doing little to nothing. Sure Kwame Kilpatrick did a lot of good for the city, but that is just our downtown area. The real work needs to take place in the neighborhoods. Where abandoned houses scatter the landscape, prostitutes walk the streets, drug dealers sell their dope and gangs think they run the streets. I say it’s time for us as a city and as a people banned together and stand up against all of the senselessness that’s been haunting Detroit for so long now. There is no need for us to live like this and do nothing.
    I have a growing plan for allot of our problems:
    Abandoned buildings
    Graffiti
    Crime levels
    Drugs
    Litter
    Bringing back residents
    Home beatification
    New housing projects
    The Coalition for a better Detroit mission:
    To clean up Detroit, bring back residents and to make our city shine again. At one time Detroit was a great city. Safe, clean, and respectable. And it can be again, BUT ONLY WITH YOUR HELP! The businesses, citizens and the leaders of Detroit must come together and unite to make this happen.

I have a plan that could work, but only will through allot of help. VOLUNTEER WORK is a major back bone of this, along with DONATIONS and SPONSORS.

But I am just one person, a 21 year old born and raised in Detroit who is proud.
    I need your help in this. I’ve never taken on anything like this before, but with your help WE ALL can make a change and turn Detroit into a beautiful safe place once again.
    I’m asking you to visit my site http://cfabdetroit.synthasite.com/ and read more about what I’ve planned out so far. I’d also like any suggestions or questions emailed to me at cfabdetroit@yahoo.com. Or write to me at michaelstemmler1987@yahoo.com.
    But most of all I want help in getting this up and running.

Yay, another person who rides into the city thinking they alone can fix all our problems. If only they can get the rest of the city organized.

Why don't you join with one of the many other groups trying to do exactly what you are doing? There are many organizations working hard to improve the city. Your ideas are not new. You're not the only one trying to improve the city. Why don't you spend your energies in a group that's already steup and running and not try to create more redundancy in the city.

I don't know about you, but I STILL think Detroit is a wonderful place.

There's a lot of organizations like this - what is different about this? I've helped with aquariums, demolished a couple crackhouses, painted and installed play furniture... what does your organization propose to do that all the others don't?

[[BTW - take the politics out of your pitch with the Kilpatrick mention).

p.s. - Amen ndavies. No need for another organization, but there is need for more hands to do the work. There's a lot of self-importance with this whole "knight in shining armor" stuff [[whether or not they're actually from the city). Just get involved and do it and stop making it about yourself.
    Last edited by digitalvision; April-20-09 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Yay, another person who rides into the city thinking they alone can fix all our problems.
    But I am just one person, a 21 year old born and raised in Detroit who is proud.
    I don't think he rode into the city.

I did read, His message was the same as any other 21 year old wanna be savior. Why is he trying to recruit when there are so many organizations that already do this type of work in the neighborhoods? Wouldn't his effort be better utilized doing actual work, rather than trying to recruit people into his brand new organization? Obviously he hasn't looked beyond his own tiny little mind to try and find out what thousands of other people are trying to do for the city. Groups that have already done the recruiting, already have funds to be disperesed, trees to plant, houses to tear down, houses to build, parks to clean, buildings to paint, students to tutor, and are in need of volunteers.

If he had looked, he would know about the huge number of great organizations doing work within his city.
    Last edited by ndavies; April-20-09 at 02:12 PM.

CFABDETROIT Guest

I’m not tiny minded as you say. Sure there are MANY groups TRYING to make a difference. The problem with them is that they aren’t really doing any big changes that people can see and they are not well known. There are new ideas in my plan if you would actually read it and stop thinking you know everything like most people in the city.

Not well known? Not making any real changes? Do you live in the same city we do? Sure, nothing's perfect - but before you go making an organization get a little experience with some and find out where the needs are.

Greening of Detroit? Blight Busters? Friends of the Belle Isle Aquarium? The various Community Garden folks? The CDCs? Preservation Wayne? The save Tiger Stadium folks? The multitude of churches doing positive work? [[and that's just a smattering off the top of my head). There are PLENTY of opportunities no matter what your personal passion is or hobbies that could be put to good, positive use.

The LAST thing we need is another organization. It's not that we know everything, but I remember when I was 19 or 20. I was an idealistic dumbass too who didn't have enough experience to realize all the great things going around me until someone kicked me in the ass a bit and taught me how to make bread instead of bitching there's nothing on the shelf.

Went to the site, first thing you need is a volunteer web designer to help your site look like you didn't do it. Not being a smartass, but no one is going to take you seriously with a site that looks like that, to begin with.

CFAB, don't let your ego get in the way of helping out.

You certainly don't need to start anything new, that would be a complete and total waste of resources, especially YOUR energy and time.

Don't let what appears at first to be cynicism and critique appear negative. We speak these as encouragements, we've been there and back with these sorts of things.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by CFABDETROIT View Post
    I’m not tiny minded as you say. Sure there are MANY groups TRYING to make a difference. The problem with them is that they aren’t really doing any big changes that people can see and they are not well known. There are new ideas in my plan if you would actually read it and stop thinking you know everything like most people in the city.
    This last post just proves how little experience you have. These groups aren't trying to make a difference, they are making a difference. They are doing great things to improve the environment we live in. And they could do a lot more if people like you volunteered to help.

Without these groups this city would be in far worse shape. You just fail to see the good works of the many organizations and their volunteers within the city. Many of whom are your neighbors and fellow churchgoers.

Is it possible that he's looked at the other organizations and thinks he can do a better job? Who cares how many organizations are formed to help the city. What difference does it make if 100 new organizations spring up with enthusiastic young people. If he gets volunteers it will work, if he doesn't, it won’t.

I looked at the website, and I think you've done a great job. I applaud your efforts.

Your plan sounds great! Will you be paying in cash or money order? Sorry no checks or credit cards, thank you!

CFABDETROIT Guest

Thank you terridarlin. And your rite, I do feel I could do a better job, not because I'm self righteous or cocky but because I know if I can get THIS PLAN up and running it would work and make a BIGGER difference. Yes I did say bigger, don't go and twist that last statement into "me thinking I’m a savior" or whatever because it's not about that at all. I see this plan as making a difference to the entire city in a shorter period of time and to more people. I feel this plan would have a bigger effect on our city. READ MY PLANS then judge, don’t judge my site. I don’t care if it looks homemade, it’s just there to help get the word out and tell what I’m trying to tell everyone on here.

CFAB, instead of trying to start something new you should take this to One D, which is a coalition of organizations striving to improve the City and try to work in tandem and not against them. They already have many years of experience and are trying to draw on several different groups to improve the quality of life in the City. Note the one D Movement is relatively new, but its members are looking to work together to improve things in a coordinated fashion, each with their own specialties.

One D Includes:
    Edsel B. Ford II, Lead Champion
    CULTURAL ALLIANCE OF SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN
    Steven K. Hamp, Chairman of the Board
    Maud Lyon, Executive Director
    DETROIT REGIONAL CHAMBER
    Dan Loepp, Chairman of the Board
    Richard E. Blouse, Jr., President and CEO
    DETROIT RENAISSANCE
    David Brandon, Chairman of the Board
    Doug Rothwell, President
    DETROIT METRO CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU
    Christopher Ilitch, Chairman of the Board
    Larry Alexander, President and CEO
    NEW DETROIT, INC.
    John Rakolta, Jr., Chairman of the Board
    Shirley Stancato, President and CEO
    UNITED WAY FOR SOUTHEASTERN MICHIGAN
    Reginald Turner, Chairman of the Board
    Michael J. Brennan, President and CEO
    SEMCOG & Metropolitan Affairs Coalition [[MAC)
    Paul Tait, Executive Director
    Mary Blackmon, Wayne County RESA, SEMCOG chair
    Debbie Dingell, GM Foundation, MAC Chair
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-20-09 at 03:06 PM.

CFABDETROIT Guest

Whoa wait just a minute, I have never said I am working against them. They are trying to help Detroit, that’s what we all want. I'm open to [[and think it’s a great idea) for originations to come together. Also, starting something new is not a bad thing... like I’ve said my plan is different. Besides, the more help to make Detroit better, is well... Better

It is better to do one thing well then lots of things badly. Your broad sweeping plan, although ambitious, is unattainable. Pick one thing from your list, research it, develop an attainable goal or measurable improvement, and then come back to market for support. Or find a nice box to stand on downtown preaching to the wind.

After checking each page on the CFABDetriot website, I can say that you have good, misguided and idealistic goals.

For example, from the "Volunteer Police" page,

"The Detroit Police Department is est. 700 officers short of where they should be.

I propose a volunteer "police" force to patrol Detroit Neighborhoods. These volunteers will go through a short but intensive training, have an extensive background check done and given uniforms, walky-talkies and ID badges. Along with mace, handcuffs, and maybe other form of weapon or defense.

These volunteers will have the right to arrest individuals who are breaking the law, write tickets and hold the individual until the DPD can come and take care of the rest of the process.

Vehicles driven by volunteers will have a light [[same as the Angle's Night volunteers) on top of their car."

Now I'm pretty sure the LAST thing the DPD wants is a bunch of mace-toting, chatty cathys on walkie - talkies handcuffing every "criminal" to a streetlight until the "real" cops show up to do the paperwork.

Your concepts have not been thought out completely, nor does it appear that you have contacted any other organizations [[other than Rays or Faygo) to see how legally, economically, or physically possible they are.

This is not a slam, let's call it constructive criticism. Btw, yellow text on a white background is nearly invisible to read...

CFABDETROIT,

I am also a newcomer to this forum, and I am also a longtime resident of Detroit. Many of the responses to your post disappoint me. You do present yourself as a bit of a crusader, but -- for my part -- I know that you will make a positive impact if you are diligent and determined.

There are lot of people who talk the talk about urban revitalization, but don't put there time where their mouth is. Others are extremely dedicated, but meet with disappointment. This region is full of despair, and it's hard not to catch the bug, when your ideals are battered by years of harsh reality.

In this world, sometimes crusaders do more than organizations, more than systems. Rarely, but sometimes. Do you want to be a crusader? Maybe that's your role. If so, please put on humility like a robe -- because Detroiters are extraordinarily sensitive to people who "know everything."

I do wish people on this board would remember that a keyboard is a weapon, and one really ought not crush another person's dream on their lunch break.

CFABDETROIT Guest

And that is why rite on the plan page of the web site it reads THIS PLAN IS STILL BEING WORKED ON. It's not perfected yet

CFABDETROIT Guest

And thank You Prodigal_Son. I'll take what you've said to heart. But trust Me I'm not trying to be or even want to be a crusader. I'm just tired of seeing the city I love go farther and farther down the wrong road.

A piece of advice - if you want to be taken seriously, drop the use of the word "plans" and put the focus on "actions". Mention that you have a "plan" and the typical response will be MEGO [[my eyes glaze over). Anybody can make a plan, very few people have the ability to also make it happen. A plan is nothing more than a piece of paper, or in your case a conglomeration of electrons, until it has the necessary resources and leadership behind it to begin implementation.

Focus on clearly defining the realistic actions and resources required to implement the desired change and it will make it easier to enlist the support of others who can provide the experienced leadership to make it happen.

cheddar bob Guest

SOD or Not SOD?

Your energy and optimism is commendable, but I think you need to harness that and narrow your outlook considerably. Your vision is too broad.

-Focus on the small detail first, like spelling common words like "right", "beautification", and "a lot" correctly.

-When you put information together, whether in posts or your website, use simple formats and fonts, not unreadable yellow text on white backgrounds or multiple text colors that give the reader a gran mal seizure. So you can change your text color, nobody cares.

-Don't create a "Plan for litter, grafitti, or home beautification". Join volunteer groups that are already doing these things. Nobody cares about your vision until you're picking up litter or scrubbing walls and they certainly aren't about to jump aboard your wagon because you asked them to.

-Listen to these guys that have been living in Detroit and know about and have created city advancement programs. They have years of experience that you cannot have at 21.

Cfab, welcome, but before your sunshine gets all the up to my sigmoid, why don't you start cleaning up Detroit, by cleaning up your spelling and grammar. After that, spend a week at Focus Hope, then another week riding the Salvation Army soup bus, followed by a week at Habitat for Humanity and another at your choice of BlightBusters or the Georgia Street Garden.

You can post the pix on your web-zine.

After your month of volunteering at those places you can then sit down and rite yur plan, cuz yull have allots of good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    The LAST thing we need is another organization.
    oh is that so? i wasn't aware that an over-abundance of volunteer organizations was the parasite slowly sucking detroit dry

you guys need to give this kid a break. it's not a bad thing to be young and full of ideas and ambition. sometimes that's exactly what you need to really do something big. would bill gates have dropped out of harvard to start microsoft if he had listened to all the nay sayers like you guys who were probably telling him to play it safe, stay in school and get a job?

Some of the responses here disappoint me. What we have is a young, energetic and apparently unselfish person who would like to try to make a difference. I think Detroit could use more of that, perhaps more than it could use anything else right now, but some of my fellow bloggers are making fun of his spelling and grammar. I'm sure that's not a useful response.

Also, those of you suggesting a new organization is not the answer are ignoring the frustration that most of us have felt in trying to work with all the existing volunteer organizations. Sure, there're hundreds of 'em, but to what effect? Detroit still continues to hemhorrage people; DPS is way down below 100K and still plummeting. George Will's description of Detroit in a recent column was "cows could graze there", and hate all you want, but cows could graze here. So how effective is all of this organizational churning around? Meetings are held by the thousands, but what really gets done?

Now, I agree there are some very useful organizations out there, like the Downtown Detroit Partnership and Focus: Hope, plus Habitat for Humanity's local effort, but how much use do any of those really have for energetic young people, other than the opportunity to volunteer once in a while?

If we can convince the young people to stay, we'll have accomplished something, and if the young folks would like to get organized, God bless them. What is there to lose? And if you think his web site looks amateurish, go back and read some of your own writings at age 21.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast