Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default antique question

I have a full size pot belly cast iron stove, aside from scrap [[which I would never do) what might be the value and what dealer could I contact?

Would you consider a donation to the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition on behalf of Fort Wayne. I can think of a few places we could put it to good use. Send me a pm if you wish.

Res

How old is it , who made it ? Here's some thats been refurbished .

http://www.goodtimestove.com/heating..._potbelly.html

Res, too much to say for a pm. I make too little money for an outright donation to bennefit me. Inheriting this 101 yr old house is straining my budget. Fortunately, overall the house is in great shape. I need trim paint on the house and/or a new garage roof.

Maybe I could barter with one of your members for this work for a portion of its value?

I get some work done and give the stove to that person and they can take the full donation value. Let me continue to research its possible value.

The stove actually came from an older house nearby which was the childhood home of our friend who passed away.

I would love to see it used at Fort Wayne since I am a hugh history buff!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Res, too much to say for a pm. I make too little money for an outright donation to bennefit me. Inheriting this 101 yr old house is straining my budget. Fortunately, overall the house is in great shape. I need trim paint on the house and/or a new garage roof.

Maybe I could barter with one of your members for this work for a portion of its value?

I get some work done and give the stove to that person and they can take the full donation value. Let me continue to research its possible value.

The stove actually came from an older house nearby which was the childhood home of our friend who passed away.

I would love to see it used at Fort Wayne since I am a hugh history buff!
    Curious. Maybe you should donate it anyway?
    As a history buff you should be more interested in the historical restoration value as a donation versus what you can concievably get for it. Not everything should have a price, and the Fort's not filled with money.

I suppose that whatever anyone says doesn't matter anyway, so I'll just shut up and watch the show. See, there is such a thing as karma, and it sounds to me like you can use an improvement in that department considering the past few months of postings here.

With rare exceptions, you will not find any huge value in your stove. They would have to be in near impeccable SAFE working condition amongst many other factors such as size, manufacturer rarity, etc etc etc.
    Also this is not best of economic times for selling antiques, and you have to understand how the market works. You as a non-antique dealer will never get top dollar either.
    If you got $75-100 and someone hauled it away, I would take the money and run.
    FYI-I've bought and sold period antiques for over 35 years.
    Last edited by mikefmich; May-13-10 at 12:08 AM.

Mike, yes, I have been working on research and realize that such an item has limited appeal mostly due to it's weight alone and difficulty in its movement. It is in working condition. I will have more info on it in the next few days.

Stosh, sorry you believe me to be some greedy SOB. It just isn't the case and barter is a time honored tradition.

Try to beat me up if you want but I promised my friend to enhance and preserve this age old beauty. This is why he left the house to us.

As far as donations, we have done thousands of hours of volunteer work. I could paper a wall with "Volunteer of the year awards and plaques". Monetary assistance has gone to friends, neighbors and organizations, way, well, beyond the concept of tithing. Written successful grants for numerous organizations, all free of charge.

As to the question of Karma, you are right this is something I need to work on. Friends of the Hindu faith have informed me that I am a sap and looking for approval.

It does appear that things freely given are not appreciated.

I could enumerate all my good deeds, but that would be seeking approval from outside sources. So I won't or at least try to resist.

The make is Laurel, cast May 2, 1908, #172a. Good shape nice detailing.

Sumas, I believe your Laurel was made by the Art Stove Company, located at Russel and Milwaukee, Detroit.

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/XQxEtYw9dWoFnHit6P63KlvYCze6j5SOUiO7ZdfNyH51dyO3Ht c00CTh5vnwrY5ltmwm*A29CS65yS4iyejL7IRQI2Zm4Qxx/LaurelStoveDealer_02.jpg?width=640&height=441[/IMG]

they made some pretty fancy stoves and ranges.

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/JuoRnS-OcMt9f9xm5d-dgJWrmdQTCkzpRY5FYMoBghbe002HPete*BcrVluElGdcoDOrk Ho6uwPdWa3ileR0hlj6KjPOOoWM/IMG_1676.JPG?width=737&height=552[/IMG]

Huh? guess posting a pic from another site has a bug ...

check out: http://www.myantiquestove.com/photo/...-laurel-summit

Stosh Guest

I'll bet it looks like this huh?

Stosh Guest

This is it?

Also this: http://homehearthantiquenews.info/us...ve?rxx=snuffly

175 dollars, no takers.

So which is it?
    Last edited by Stosh; May-13-10 at 09:59 PM.

The 3 d pic from home and heart is the closest in looks. I had a camera but forgot to take a photo.

I have beautiful leaded glass doors and windows throughout the house but there is a really stunning stained glass door just leaning against a wall in the basement. Told my sister about it and she asked me to measure it.

Darn, if she wants it, there goes another freebie. On second thought, I am trying to change my Karma, she can help me put my large back yard back in shape. It's called barter.

That stove restored is worth between 5 and 700 dollars. If it's a rust bucket, mica missing from the doors, grates broken, parts missing-broken. It's 50 dollars worth. The problem is, they are impractical, there is really no way to fit them into a modern home, they sucked for heat and holding fire., they take up a lot of room, and quite frankly, there are just too many of them around. Even finding a buyer is going to be tough. A lot of antiques items are that way, people love them, they don't want them.

Sstash, You are right, I did get the stove appraised for $5,000 but with no buyers it has no value. I think I will just keep it. I like it and honor it for its history.

I do have a pot bellied ancient puggle [[dog) which has no value either. Definately keeping him too!