Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How much for a kid to take to Cedar Point?

I ask this here because, well, obviously, its a Detroit forum and we go to Cedar Point more than the rest of the country.

My son, 11, is going to Cedar Point with his class. I haven't been myself in probably like 30 years, but I remember taking about $30, and that was a lot of money to spend back then. However, it still went pretty fast.

His teacher says they don't need more than $20, but I disagree - they have to buy food, at least twice for a day; and I'm sure they want at least ONE trinket of some sort. But him being 11, I don't want to put a lot of money in his hands either.

So what is a good amount for a kid that age to spend and be trusted with at Cedar Point? I'm leaning toward maybe $40 because I'm thinking food alone might be about $20. I remember the stuffed animals being $20 for just a small one.

I have never been to Cedar Point...but if you check their website, try and find out if all the concessions take a Visa card...then get a pre-loaded debit card from your bank [[like a gift card, but can be used anywhere that takes Visa) for whatever you want. All you will need to do is give your son the PIN number for it, making it something he can remember easily. Safer than carrying cash, and he won't have to worry about it getting wet or anything.

I know my grandson took a backpack...I guess they have lockers...and a change of clothes because some of the rides involve getting wet. If I get a chance to ask him how much money is needed, I will, and post it here.

If I remember from my last visit, a meal at any concession stand/cafe cost about $10 minimum. That would get you maybe two slices of pizza and a soda. For me that was a light [[and unhealthy) lunch. $25-30 for one day should be sufficient.

Here's my 15 yr old grandson's response...he goes every year with his high school band:

"Depends on how well you want to eat. I'd bring 15 for food just in case and another 15 for souviniers. I generally spend about 40-50 bucks but i eat well lol"

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    get a pre-loaded debit card from your bank [[like a gift card, but can be used anywhere that takes Visa) for whatever you want.
    I absolutely agree. And ideally the card could also be re-loaded with additional cash by the parent in the event of some unforeseen emergency.

If all the other kids are bringing $20, are you sure you want your kid bringing more?

checkraisej Guest

It's going to be about $7 just for one tall beer, so you might want to give him $60.

LOL @ checkraisej!

I like the debit card idea and he would feel like such a grown up! Plus that may keep him from giving away his money, he's good for that, he's so freehearted to a fault. I definitely don't want him to be standing around like Mr. Big Bucks but that's another good thing about the debit card is that no one will know how much he actually has to spend.

Blueidone, you've NEVER been? I can't believe I let my kids grow up without ever taking them, time just FLEW by so fast. This is my youngest and I'm glad he's able to go because my others became adults so quickly lol. We will probably all go as a family later this summer.

The backpack idea is also great - I remember getting soaking wet just walking past some of those water rides and then we just walked around and dried in the sun. Actually, if he takes a backpack, he could pack it with snacks and that would cut down on him needing to spend so much money on their food, and just buy one hot meal for lunch.

These are great suggestions!! Thanks everyone!

The funds could also be spent on drinking water. Our boys have worn cargo-type shorts with Velcro pockets to keep things secure. And we've sent them with sunblock. You don't want a dehydrated lobster coming back home again.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Drinking Water Is Free

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    The funds could also be spent on drinking water. Our boys have worn cargo-type shorts with Velcro pockets to keep things secure. And we've sent them with sunblock. You don't want a dehydrated lobster coming back home again.
    You can walk up to any of the concession stands and order a ice water for free. It sure beats those $3-$4 soft drinks.

$40-$50 is a good amount to bring for souvenirs and food. The park also has lockers for rent, and a picnic shelter where coolers can be left for free, just outside the main entrance.

Detwa: The reason I've never been is that I can't do any of the rides. I took my son [[many moons ago) to DisneyLand and Knott's Berry Farm. I stood around for hours and hours waiting for him to get done on the rides, bored to death. I have taken my grandkids to Michigan Adventure too...but again..I don't do the rides.

I went to the old Edgewater Park when I was teen...and woofed my cookies on what most people considered to be a "gentle" ride. I get motion sickness very easily...in cars, planes, anything that moves...LOL

Just not something I enjoy...but I'm happy to go sit poolside while everyone else has their fun!

"You can walk up to any of the concession stands and order a ice water for free. It sure beats those $3-$4 soft drinks."

Really? This is excellent! Kudos to them.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Detwa: The reason I've never been is that I can't do any of the rides. I took my son [[many moons ago) to DisneyLand and Knott's Berry Farm. I stood around for hours and hours waiting for him to get done on the rides, bored to death. I have taken my grandkids to Michigan Adventure too...but again..I don't do the rides.

I went to the old Edgewater Park when I was teen...and woofed my cookies on what most people considered to be a "gentle" ride. I get motion sickness very easily...in cars, planes, anything that moves...LOL

Just not something I enjoy...but I'm happy to go sit poolside while everyone else has their fun!
    Blueidone, our family has always gotten season passes, and while I love the rides, I hate those days where there are really long lines, it just doesn't feel worth it to wait anymore. We went opening day a couple weeks ago, and ended up riding one roller coaster, and a few small carnival type rides. The rest of the time was spent on the steam train, taking in the many live shows/performances, strolling along the Frontier Trail watching glass blowers, artists, wood carvers, and black smiths, enjoying the gardens, and walking along the mile or so of beaches that surround the lake side of the peninsula. The trip was capped with whatching the sunset from the long pier at the tip of the penninsula, and a Ferris Wheel ride overlooking the bright midway lights at night.

Rides have kind of taken over Cedar Point today, but the stuff that started it all, and attracted families a hundred plus years ago, is still there [[especially the gardens and beaches).

Cedar Point is really more of a Detroit and Midwest icon and symbol of the great rust belt than anything else. We had such a love for industry and large machines that we ended up with the largest amusement park, with the most roller coasters. An interesting fact is that Cedar Point was once only accessible by ships from the mainland, the large ships would chug all the way across the lake, mainly from Detroit and Cleveland alone, in the early days.

[[Area amusement park history is obviously my "thing").

DetroitDad Guest

Default More Cedar Point-Detroit History

Some of Cedar Point's ride's and steam ships of the teens and twenties were made right here in Detroit;

Prior to 1907, large passenger ships from Detroit, Toledo and Cleveland headed to the resort needed to land in Sandusky, where passengers transferred to ferry boats and went on to the resort. Boeckling built a lake landing on the peninsula’s western tip to drop off and pick up resort guests; this opened up even more traffic to the resort.

The steamer Put-In-Bay Sailed from Detroit to Toledo, and on to Put-In-Bay and Cedar Point.

The double-ended steamer ferry G. A. Boeckling was christened in June of 1909 to carry passengers to Cedar Point from Sandusky; it remained in service for more than forty years. Built by the Detroit’s Great Lakes Engineering Company, she measured one hundred and fifty five feet, and could handle 660 people in one crossing.
    Quotes and photo from Times Magazine

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I haven't been myself in probably like 30 years, but I remember taking about $30, and that was a lot of money to spend back then.
    $30 30 years ago would be $79.37 today. http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

DetroitDad, I didn't realize drinking water was free - are you sure they don't charge for the cup? I think I'll send him with his own bottle that he can refill, hopefully they still have fountains.

Blueidone, I am right here with you about those rides. I don't do the crazy rides, only the things that go slow and lateral, lol. The boring stuff. I did a roller coaster the last time I went, and that was my first and last time on one, I thought my heart was going to burst. However, I enjoyed the shows and the games and the exhibitions.

You have to really pick a day that is not a popular day, to avoid those long lines. One year, we went on Labor Day and we expected it to be crowded - it was like a ghost town. I guess everyone else expected the same thing and stayed away, but it was wonderful. And middle of the week is a good time too, Tues through Thur.

Retroit, he will definitely not get $80, lol, but that's a good point as far as what that $30 will buy. He likes the backpack idea and he agrees its best to take your own snacks, so all he will do is buy food and 1-2 trinkets.

Crystal, thanks for sunblock reminder!