Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If Mitt Romney somehow is elected president, it would have been nice for Detroit to say "He spent his early childhood here, and this is where he lived." It could have been a minor historical site in a one of the city's marque neighborhoods. The neighborhood literature could boast, "the president spent his early formative years in this neighbrhood, and it still stands at such and such address", as opposed "to his house once stood here, but like so much of the city's structures, it was torn down because of neglect and abuse".

I heard from a real estate agent that the city buys houses. The city could have bought this house, put in new roof on [[it would have only cost $10,000-$12,000), and mowed the lawn every two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    If Mitt Romney somehow is elected president, it would have been nice for Detroit to say "He spent his early childhood here, and this is where he lived." It could have been a minor historical site in a one of the city's marque neighborhoods. The neighborhood literature could boast, "the president spent his early formative years in this neighbrhood, and it still stands at such and such address", as opposed "to his house once stood here, but like so much of the city's structures, it was torn down because of neglect and abuse".

I heard from a real estate agent that the city buys houses. The city could have bought this house, put in new roof on [[it would have only cost $10,000-$12,000), and mowed the lawn every two weeks.
    The house Gerald Ford was born in burnt down early 70's, a few years before he became VP/President. A local [[Omaha) businessman quickly bought that lot in Omaha,NE when Ford became prez. The lot was developed into a memorial and gardens, then donated back to the city.
    I used to get puzzled looks from Nebraska friends/relatives when I'd tell them it was actually the Leslie King birthplace.

bump.........

Anybody but Romney, he talks out of both sides of his mouth. He looks like a shyster as well.

Has anything been built on this property? Who owns the property?

If Willard wanted to claim a connection to Detroit, he could have spent a teeny tiny fraction of a fraction of his $250,000,000 and saved that home.

It's probably a good thing the house is gone now. As the national media descends on Michigan can you imagine all the satellite trucks with their reporters standing on the front lawn with pieces of blue tarps swaying in the wind proclaiming "Here it is people, the one time home of a father and son who both had/have presidential ambitions in the very best neighborhood in Detroit and even this house is an abandoned dump!"

Qualifies as an outright tragedy on so many levels.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't made it into the national media or a Santorum ad.

The house right next door, to the left of the old Romney house sold not too long ago as a foreclosure. I had gone with a friend to look at it. It also had sold for a very high price at one point. Maybe around $600k? I can't remember exactly. Someone had started a ton of interior renovations and it was left in a unfinished state when it was foreclosed on. It is quite a cool house, over 7000 sq ft. But, the taxes are just out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If Willard wanted to claim a connection to Detroit, he could have spent a teeny tiny fraction of a fraction of his $250,000,000 and saved that home.
    Agreed.

If Mitt truly cared about his hometown, and home state, he should have bought his childhood home when it was on the market. Judging his wealth, hell, he could have single-handeadly bought the whole damn neighborhood!

As a child of Northeast Detroit, if I had consumed half the wealth that Mitten's has, I would have preserved my whole block on Novara street...

How many of DYer's wish they could buy & preserve there childhood homes with Mitten's wealth?
    Last edited by Detroitej72; February-17-12 at 11:19 PM.

If I had the $ to buy my second home in Detroit I would be a happy man. I loved that home. Actually I could afford to buy it if I wanted, but I wouldn't have the $ to add another 5-10 feet onto the back of it. I always remember my mom [[R.I.P.) saying she hatted how small the kitchen was.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    The house right next door, to the left of the old Romney house sold not too long ago as a foreclosure. I had gone with a friend to look at it. It also had sold for a very high price at one point. Maybe around $600k? I can't remember exactly. Someone had started a ton of interior renovations and it was left in a unfinished state when it was foreclosed on. It is quite a cool house, over 7000 sq ft. But, the taxes are just out of this world.
    I met the current owner of 1884 Balmoral awhile back he is very nice and doing a nice job to restore the home, with the bare ceiling in the living room among other problems this home was not for the novice restorer!

oh cool, yeah I love that house but it did need quite a bit of work. On the plus side, it did have a newer roof.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3