Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Happie Guest

I'm totally dating myself, there was this store on gratiot, the guy had a beard [[that really nails it), and his uncle worked for Phillips. We used to steal the mercury switches out of thermostats in new houses being built [[my little brother got "caught" one night, but he talked big and scared off the "citizens" who confronted him, too funny, his voice was still cracking, tee hee).

Anyhow, we made this switching device that swirled the sound all around this circle of speakers, really cool. So I showed it to this guy, and he's like [[stoned, mind you) "We're gonna make some big money off of this, just wait till I show my uncle". Of course squat diddle ended up happening. Cool store, they also sold guitars in the back, monster amps, and me and my brother had VIP passes to jam whenever we wanted, even though in retrospect, we kinda sucked.

Does anyone remember a record store at Grand River and Buchanan?

I bought a lot of records at Korvettes because, as I remember, their prices were lower than many other stores.

Sam's Jams, Desirable Discs, MusicMusic, Peaches, Repeat the Beat, Solo Records, & many locations of Harmony House. Sam's Jams was the epitome though, especially for local music like Junk Monkey, Orange Roughies, The Gear, Hysteric Narcotics, Cuppa Joe, Hippodrome who were around at the time. It was always a thrill to go there.

Any Dysers shop at Joes Records on 12th street?

GUSHI Guest

Any one remember the name of the place on Joseph campau

My father's store - Joe's Record Shop [[and recording studio), first on Hastings Street, then on 12th Street [[where it was destroyed in the '67 Riots).

If I may post a link to my story about him:
    http://marshamusic.wordpress.com/pag...cord-shop-man/

Kudos for that Marsha, great history...thanks for sharing!

Thank you Gannon! I have written much on that time and place, it is a labor of love.

White's records in Detroit,Sam's Jams and Street Corner music.

There was cunninghans on the corner of 7 mile and vandyke, and next door to the east there was a record store. Bought my first 45's there. Heatwave [[always and forever), Foxy [[Get off), Brick [[aint gonna hurt nobody) and Rufus and Chaka Chan [[Sweet Thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Music View Post
    My father's store - Joe's Record Shop [[and recording studio), first on Hastings Street, then on 12th Street [[where it was destroyed in the '67 Riots).

If I may post a link to my story about him:
    http://marshamusic.wordpress.com/pag...cord-shop-man/
    I really enjoyed it too. Thanx.

I remember 'discovering' Sams jams back around 1980 or so. Back then, most albums went out of 'print' after a while and were impossible to find. It was like a treasure hunt going to Sams, you could find albums that you never thought you'd see again, and sometimes albums you'd never heard of. I was always looking for the mid 60s-early 70s stuff, and found many gems. Looking through all those bins was a pleasure. Now you can find just about anything that ever existed with a couple of clicks of the mouse. While it is great to be able to find all that stuff on Amazon or YouTube, etc, it's not quite the same feeling as those days at Sams.

I'm rediscovering that feeling, Jim. It is much more tangible now, because you know with some discs the one you just picked up while browsing the next used-record store 'might' be the only one you'll ever see...and do you have yet another $5 to spare...$50 and much more for the really special ones...oh, I can tell pursuing this hobby will cost more than golfing and skiing combined. And it is SO worth it. This time, I have to buy duplicates of those favorites, and now I'm spending more on the needle/stylus and even planning a decent vacuum-cleaning system!

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

I'm still a bit shocked at our crossing. If I hadn't hung out an hour longer than I intended, we might not have had that conversation at Detroit Contemporary-CAID Sunday afternoon! What a blast meeting you like that, I hope your husband's whiplash from your quick jump out of that chair has healed.

Cheers!
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; March-05-13 at 08:32 AM.

Add the Record Collector [[I think that was their name) on 9 Mile in Ferndale. Closed early January.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I really enjoyed it too. Thanx.
    Thank YOU HT [[may I call you that?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

I'm still a bit shocked at our crossing. If I hadn't hung out an hour longer than I intended, we might not have had that conversation at Detroit Contemporary-CAID Sunday afternoon! What a blast meeting you like that, I hope your husband's whiplash from your quick jump out of that chair has healed.

Cheers!
    John
    Oh my goodness Gannon! What a pleasant shock! Yes, I literally jumped out of my chair and hugged your neck! LOL!

And yes, if I hadn't said "Marsha Music" you would not have made the connection. How nice to meet you, how nice to meet someone from DetroitYes!

You're a sound guy, and I have a soft spot for sound folks; reminding me of those years I spent watching my father fool around with recording machines. I've spliced quite a lot of Scotch audio tape in my day too, at his record shop.

Yes, it was a wonderful surprise, meeting you.

So, does anyone here remember an old curmugeon called "The Mad Russian"? He was a record wholesaler on Hastings Street, and I used to go there with my father to buy records - even after most of Hastings was gone, and there was just a lone strip of storefronts remaining on the banks of the Chryler diggings.

I believe that he was a Jewish guy, and he had a big grey white beard and a cantankerous, crotchety way about him. He used to fuss and fume and putter around when we'd go to buy records, but he's always have a penny candy or a joke for my little brother and I.

We'd go there before going to our record shop in the mornings and I'd try to steer my daddy to the new Motown and Soul sounds, away from the old blues records that didn't sell much anymore.

The old Russian knew that I was also trying to buy an extra Temptations or Beatles record for myself, and he'd go along with it - with a wink in my direction.

Ross Grand River and Griswold, brough used records little place next to Stone Burlesque

Jeff never did close the Record Graveyard, but moved from the Caniff location next to Paycheck's [[after selling everything in the building) to his house at 2610 Carpenter. He'd rented a floor of the tall building on Jos. Campau down the street from Wendy's [[one of his former locations) where he kept tons more records that he used to stock the new location. He still does more business on ebay than walk-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by garyalex View Post
    Federals Department Store - Grand River and Oakman.
    Do you remember thr top 30 lists sponsored by WKNR?

Cetnar's Records on Joy Rd. next to some hamburger joint near Piedmont Street.

Korvettes, now that brings back memories. My dad me there once a week, record department only, where he would buy his precious classical albums and later cassettes. Then we went on our weekly trip in mid 60's and i brought something home.....The Beatles. He didnt offer to take me on his saturday weekly afternoon journey any more. Bach, Morzart and other classical musicians ruled the "hi-fi" and later stereo console at our house. My precious, Beatles, Stones, Hendrix had to be hidden away, never to be played in our house of classical music.

thanks for the walk down memory lane with my late dad.

Lily

I bought my first 45 at Emma Parham's record store on Owen and Oakland. It was not long after that she passed away. Her funeral was the largest I ever witnessed. She taught so many gospel, soul, R&B artists their craft. Many paid tribute to her in song. It felt like the service lasted nearly six hours. I recall the fire marshal having to make allowances for the standing room only crowd at Gt. New Mt. Moriah Baptist Church.

White's Records on Ferry Park. You could jump off the Linwood bus which stopped at the front door, run in and buy that new 45, and race to catch up with the bus.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast