Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Erik Smith leaving Channel 7?

A report here: http://detnews.com/article/20100514/...al--Erik-Smith doesn't confirm whether he's leaving on his own terms or not, but implies that the Detroit icon [[ he's been on the air since 1962 ) is leaving. I for one will miss seeing him every morning if this is true.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDerek View Post
    A report here: http://detnews.com/article/20100514/...al--Erik-Smith doesn't confirm whether he's leaving on his own terms or not, but implies that the Detroit icon [[ he's been on the air since 1962 ) is leaving. I for one will miss seeing him every morning if this is true.
    I couldn't agree more. I have always enjoyed watching and listening to him every morning. I hope he ends up staying.

He's still alive?

WOW first Brad Edwards of FOX 2 and now this? Detroit news is never going to be the same. Whos next? Rob Wolchek? Huel Perkins?

checkraisej Guest

I heard on the radio this morning that he's been at Channel 7 since 1962. Now that is some longevity.

Probably making too much money for them so he gets "retired".
    A lot of others on local media have been getting the bum's rush lately.

That would really be a loss....I start my morning each weekday with Eric and the rest. I would certainly miss his freindly and easy nature to start my day with. He has a relaxed and casual, yet always very professional in his delivery of the news. I can't imagine anyone I would like sto see in his place.

Channel 7 laid off Dennis Neubacher, and the helicopter pilot.
    Plus Steve Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Channel 7 laid off Dennis Neubacher, and the helicopter pilot.
    Plus Steve Wilson
    Really?! [[about the Captain)

Yes,I ran into Dennis out in Brighton

I believe Erik Smith should be making mini-documentaries, a la Charlie LeDuff, about the personalities and the characters that he has come across via his career in Detroit news broadcasting. People whose character gives Detroit it's flavor. He has the background to provide the continuity for a university position as a local historian if his career in broadcasting is over.

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Yes,I ran into Dennis out in Brighton
    You must know who he is, I wouldn't recognize him.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    I believe Erik Smith should be making mini-documentaries, a la Charlie LeDuff, about the personalities and the characters that he has come across via his career in Detroit news broadcasting. People whose character gives Detroit it's flavor. He has the background to provide the continuity for a university position as a local historian if his career in broadcasting is over.

I love this idea Eno, probably because I want to continue seeing him one way or another. He comes across as someone youve known personally for years, he would make a great interviewer documenting our locals. Mr. Smith was the speaker at my high school graduation in 87, my parents next door neighbor for a few years, and his daughter was a friend of mine in high school but Ive never met him. Hes so personable it seems. I heard he got the ear pierced on a dare from his kids.
    Whatever he does I hope hes happy but I also hope he will continue to be on the tube, he kinda feels like family. I always try and catch him on tv before I go to bed.

Channel 7 might be making him retire,

They wanted to move him off mornings--he didn't like it and gave his notice.

A nice man. It is hoped that he can pursue short stories or documentaries, as suggested. I often saw him at local live music events, in the eighties and nineties. Maybe there will more time for him to enjoy this again.
    This viewer will miss you, Eric!

In my pre internet days He shared stories of Detroit and elseware that I would not have heard anywere else. As Fox 2 is normally on in my house at that time . I still do miss Eric doing the news in the morning.
    He's a fixture on the Detroit airwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    I heard on the radio this morning that he's been at Channel 7 since 1962. Now that is some longevity.
    Yes, I grew up watching him. Didn't he co-anchor with Doris Biscoe? I still get a chuckle when I occasionally turn to 7 and see him and he looks just as young as he ever did.

That is really very sad - I have always liked Erik. Very easy going, and never one to sensationalize or be phony. Was so happy to see him come back after his heart surgery, have been watching him my entire life actually now that I think about it.

I think if they are going to make a permanent replacement for him it should be Vic Faust. He and Joanne are a good fit together in the morning, and he does a great job. [[Although I personally think Donny Shane should retire and Vic just take over Sports entirely.) ;-)

Wow WXYZ is really messing up on this one. It was bad enough they got rid of Steve Wilson, now they are going to let Erik Smith go. This is a major mistake.

Here's Erik's version of his departure from 7... [[his last day was Friday, btw), it's not about money - he said he'd work for 25 cents on the dollar. He's pissed off at being yanked off the show he has hosted for the past 34 straight years. He's mad as hell and his feelings are hurt and he's not going to do 7 any favors by doing part time story or documentary work. Come December 1st when his no-compete expires, he'll be back somewhere, he says, but not at 7.

Quote Originally Posted by smittyspice View Post
    Here's Erik's version of his departure from 7... [[his last day was Friday, btw), it's not about money - he said he'd work for 25 cents on the dollar. He's pissed off at being yanked off the show he has hosted for the past 34 straight years. He's mad as hell and his feelings are hurt and he's not going to do 7 any favors by doing part time story or documentary work. Come December 1st when his no-compete expires, he'll be back somewhere, he says, but not at 7.
    Well that just stinks. What is it with these stations? Don't they have a clue as to what their viewers actually want? Apparently they just don't care. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    What is it with these stations? Don't they have a clue as to what their viewers actually want? Apparently they just don't care. Sad.
    Well, with the Weather Channel showing movies, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lostlegumes View Post
    They wanted to move him off mornings--he didn't like it and gave his notice.
    they did move him out and offered him the opportuinity to do mini-stories-documentaries. He refused. I wish they would get rid of Stephen Clark and Diana Lewis if they need to get rid of someone. Not impressed with Glenda either. Their reporting is not what I would consider that great.

Just in case someone from WXYZ reads this thread... you've lost me. I've found someone else to watch in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast