Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default seasonal location?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Last November, she closed up the tiny [[like 200 sq. ft.) John R place "for the winter season". She apparently had better success up in the larger [[and year 'round) space by the Park Shelton [[north of the DIA), so moved aside and vacated. Lew seems happy enough to have taken that space!
    i thought the whole in the wall john r place was for the summer season? that is what one of the women told me last year. I hope that they will be returning to that place this summer; It is so convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by deweygal View Post
    i thought the whole in the wall john r place was for the summer season? that is what one of the women told me last year. I hope that they will be returning to that place this summer; It is so convenient.
    It is a hot dog stand now.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    We just walked over and tried the Gourmet Hot Dogs place on John R. Very tasty. Lew is the proprietor and he is a good guy. We had his grand-opening special - 2 "American" dogs [[ketchup/mustard, relish and onion), Better Made chips and a pop for $5. I forgot to ask him where he gets his dogs, but they had a nice 'snap' and were devoured instantly. He offers the dogs, sausages, cole slaw and fries in many combinations and he seems like an enthusiast. I like the idea of a small, tightly focused independent business opening in downtown Detroit. I'm probably good for one visit a week [[don't tell my wife!)
    Recall that this is a walk-up only operation, but I can see him doing very well in that tiny little space. Look for the red awning right behind Oslo, across from the Metropolitan building.
    I was told by the owner they were just closed for the season as well. It is extremely disappointing to see Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes abandon Downtown like so many others. I'm glad to see someone take the space, but I'm not too ecstatic to see yet another hot dog place Downtown.

Interesting but off topic thing; has anyone else noticed all the new crepe shops and stands that have opened around the suburbs and even in the Great Lakes Crossing food court? They are pretty comparable, but Good Girls Go to Paris Crepes couldn't be beat. They will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I was told by the owner they were just closed for the season as well. It is extremely disappointing to see Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes abandon Downtown like so many others. I'm glad to see someone take the space, but I'm not too ecstatic to see yet another hot dog place Downtown.

Interesting but off topic thing; has anyone else noticed all the new crepe shops and stands that have opened around the suburbs and even in the Great Lakes Crossing food court? They are pretty comparable, but Good Girls Go to Paris Crepes couldn't be beat. They will be missed.
    If they are that missed you can just go a couple miles noth to their place in the Park Shelton. The bookstore next store to it is pretty nice as well.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Shields, or someone very similar is supposedly still opening in the Kales Building.
    And Comos will be opening anytime soon on Woodward.

It seems to me, having eaten at both places, that Good Girls Go to Paris works better in the Park Shelton location. The sheer space restrictions at the John R shop prevented her from exceeding a certain speed in turning out the things, and if a big crowd showed up at any one moment you had to mill around for quite a while. Plus, a crepe is not an ideal takeout food. The Park Shelton place has been doing good business, especially when something's happening at the museum. My analysis is just a guess, but I think she's doing the right thing. Supposedly she's planning a new place in Toledo.

In other news from that area, the Wasabi sushi-and-Korean place now serves liquor. It's decent in both cuisines. Try the hwe dup bab Korean-style sushi, sometimes with a raw quail egg on top.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Where is that one exactly?
    Murphy Telegraph Building. Used to be another restaurant. Something with the word News or Times. I went to Wah Hoo yesterday and was impressed by how it looks inside. It is pricey, but they should do a good lunch. They are a month in to a soft opening. Given that it is owned by the Fishbones people, I suspect there will be more news about this place in the coming months.

I am hearing it will be 24/7.

Maxies, albeit not fancy, was a nice little diner with table service.

I can see it now - Neon in the windows, bullet-proof glass, a couple shootings and tons of litter everywhere. Breakfast you say? Sure if you like eating your omelette's in plastic take out containers.

Here is there current location [[I think). Looks like sh*t.

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&...a6LpWqM5DevY8F

or something like this place but not as nice..

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&...a6LpWqM5DevY8F

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    It seems to me, having eaten at both places, that Good Girls Go to Paris works better in the Park Shelton location. The sheer space restrictions at the John R shop prevented her from exceeding a certain speed in turning out the things, and if a big crowd showed up at any one moment you had to mill around for quite a while. Plus, a crepe is not an ideal takeout food. The Park Shelton place has been doing good business, especially when something's happening at the museum. My analysis is just a guess, but I think she's doing the right thing. Supposedly she's planning a new place in Toledo.

In other news from that area, the Wasabi sushi-and-Korean place now serves liquor. It's decent in both cuisines. Try the hwe dup bab Korean-style sushi, sometimes with a raw quail egg on top.
    Agreed. But I was looking forward to the outdoor seating. Seriously, I wonder what happened. Also what happened to the suburban locations?

Luckily I work near the Park Shelton. I am a regular there, and made sure they were in our work's lunch rotation.

The Park Shelton seems like it may actually get more traffic thanks to its location in the Cultural Center, never mind the potential Wayne State business and of course the residents of the Park Shelton itself. I've never visited the downtown walk up place so I can't compare. I ate at the Park Shelton location a few months back, and while the food was delicious, the service was very slow....and I'm not expecting anything lightening speed, but 35+ minutes for two crepes seems a bit much. It was busy, but not THAT busy. And it would be lovely if they had a few more tables. We had to shiver in the cold entryway to wait.

Avalon Bakery! A Detroit gem located on Willis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2