Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have been around Detroit many times, and walked in many areas and drove through the bad areas, etc. I know Detroit is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I was walking through Brush Park before it was restored. That was my first time in Detroit, and my cousin told my friend and I to not go near Brush Park under any conditions. So we went So I do have my streetsmarts.

Given that the Riverwalk goes through some areas that look abandonned, I just wanted to make sure that early in the morning things on the Riverwalk are o.k. if we were to do the walk. It was more just an enquiry, but not that I am in fear or anything.
    I just like covering my bases. And I have been wanting to check out the Riverwalk, but was unable to check it out last time. So I thought this would be a good excuse to try it out. That is if I can convince my friend that we can do a 30 minute walk with our backpacks[[we are going to Chicago)
    Last edited by miketoronto1; May-13-10 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    If all we ever hear is about the crime and poverty of Detroit then what other type of perception would we have.
    Indeed! You present a great argument for saying more positive things about our great city.

MikeToronto: I am going to be staying in downtown Toronto in early June. Any advice on where we could park the car to avoid paying 30 dollars a day at the hotel, [[Delta Chelsea). Someone suggested parking at some mall and taking the train in, but that won't work I'm assuming because we need a 24 hour place to park. Any advice?

Ah, folks...

I love reading about all the people who have never taken the stroll on the eastern RiverWalk chiming in and saying it's unsafe.

I lived at Jefferson and Mt Elliot for a year and a half. I walked, rode, and stumbled down the stretch of RiverWalk between Mt Elliot Park and downtown countless times, day and night. I don't even remember how many times I dragged myself home on the RiverWalk after a night at Atwater Brewery or Andrew's.

The only users of that stretch of RiverWalk that I have ever encountered were jogging, riding bikes, launching a boat at the marina, or on a date.

If you see someone or something suspicious, walk away. That simple folks. Shit, take some mace or a knife if you're concerned. Live a little...

Mind field

Mind Field,
    I only use public transit. However while I never drive into downtown, I think the Dundas Square parking deck would be good. It is only a block from the Delta Hotel, and from walking by it everday, I think you can get a flat rate of like $10.00 or even $5.00 a day if you are there outside the Mon-Fri business hours. They may even have a good rate during business hours to. But I would try them out.

You have nothing to worry about, Mike. The Riverwalk is safe. Enjoy your visit!

As with any big city caution should be exercised... The river walk is great!! Though I don't do it at night alone, but you should be fine... for example I no longer dangle my professional cameras around my neck as I walk along for long periods... I just have one of those across the body bags that doubles as my purse and pull out my camera "as needed" to shoot something then put it back in the bag. I am fond on cute short handled purses, but when on foot I do the over the shoulder, across the body style totes and carries, which allow my hands to be free when I am doing the river walks here or in Canada. And I watch to see who is coming up behind me and try to be aware of my surroundings... and try no too look too "touristy" where ever I am... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by miketoronto1 View Post
    I am planning to stay at the Omni Hotel on the Riverfront East, and instead of taking the bus downtown, my friend and I were thinking of walking the Riverwalk to the Ren Cen.
    I noticed on maps that some sections don't seem to be finnished. Do you guys think it is good though to walk in the morning on a weekday into downtown via the Riverwalk? It should not take more than 25 minutes I am hoping. And in terms of safety would you guys say it is o.k.?

Yes, it is fairly safe, and yes, if you see something suspicious walk away. I am a bit shy about going too late at night alone as I may have to walk in a less then nice area to get back to my car, but have watched the boats take off from their landings with great joy up through midnight [[the Detroit Princess and the Diamond Jack fleet).

In any event, not one to not be prepared I carry professional strength pepper spray everywhere in case of roaming dogs or a robber.... you cannot take the spray to Canada though. They will ask you to submit it to them. So if I am planning t go to Windsor etc. I leave it at home. Too expensive to keep buying it over and over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Ah, folks...

I love reading about all the people who have never taken the stroll on the eastern RiverWalk chiming in and saying it's unsafe.

I lived at Jefferson and Mt Elliot for a year and a half. I walked, rode, and stumbled down the stretch of RiverWalk between Mt Elliot Park and downtown countless times, day and night. I don't even remember how many times I dragged myself home on the RiverWalk after a night at Atwater Brewery or Andrew's.

The only users of that stretch of RiverWalk that I have ever encountered were jogging, riding bikes, launching a boat at the marina, or on a date.

If you see someone or something suspicious, walk away. That simple folks. Shit, take some mace or a knife if you're concerned. Live a little...

Yep, it is ok to drive around just be mindful to keep your doors locked whic I do everywhere. I've had a crazy woman try to jump into my car once at the gas station and a man try my door handle at a light. Both were drunk, but I am not a taxi cab and glad I had my doors locked.
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I have been around Detroit many times, and walked in many areas and drove through the bad areas, etc. I know Detroit is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I was walking through Brush Park before it was restored. That was my first time in Detroit, and my cousin told my friend and I to not go near Brush Park under any conditions. So we went So I do have my streetsmarts.

Given that the Riverwalk goes through some areas that look abandonned, I just wanted to make sure that early in the morning things on the Riverwalk are o.k. if we were to do the walk. It was more just an enquiry, but not that I am in fear or anything.
    I just like covering my bases. And I have been wanting to check out the Riverwalk, but was unable to check it out last time. So I thought this would be a good excuse to try it out. That is if I can convince my friend that we can do a 30 minute walk with our backpacks[[we are going to Chicago)

I agree for the most part... just use reasonable caution... Heck, I am one to even trot down to the Riverside park down by the Ambassador bridge! Now it is not very nice, especially in the parking lot where people mingle doing who knows what in their cars, loud music etc, but once there I walk to the river and find the "fishing pole" crowd and can sit in peace for hours and you meet all kinds of cool people and the view is great! It would be nice if they could keep the place cleaner.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    You have nothing to worry about, Mike. The Riverwalk is safe. Enjoy your visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    In any event, not one to not be prepared I carry professional strength pepper spray everywhere in case of roaming dogs or a robber.... you cannot take the spray to Canada though. They will ask you to submit it to them. So if I am planning t go to Windsor etc. I leave it at home. Too expensive to keep buying it over and over...
    Is there a problem with roaming dogs on the riverwalk?

No roaming dogs whatsoever. Mike, the riverwalk is very safe and I believe you will love it -- it is beautiful, peaceful and serene. Definitely my favorite place in the entire city, and something that should not be missed.

It looks like you will have to walk a few blocks before you get to the riverwalk, but once you get to the state park [[with the marina and the lighthouse), the riverwalk is just beyond that and goes all the way through to beyond the Ren Cen.

Mind Field -

Cambridge Suites Hotel has a parking garage that charges $20 per day [[for anyone not just hotel residents) in Toronto [[beats $30 bucks).
    It is one block south of Eaton Centre [[on Richmond).

Just giving you an alternate option - in case the other garage mentioned is full.

I've never seen any but I keep pepper spray in case I become engaged with roaming dogs - anywhere! Just in case.

In 2008 I was visiting Chene Park to see the Bob-lo boat that was docked there for visitors to see it under renovation. When we left and walked back to the carousel in the riverwalk I saw a coyote trotting along Atwater St.

Miketoronto1- Check out the Dequindre Cut from the RiverWalk to Eastern Market if you have free time.

I walked from the Omni to downtown one Saturday morning last year. I wasn't too worried about myself because I looked like a hobo; but two very attractive girls jogged past me [[separately) and they seemed to be surviving and relaxed.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. It's maybe a 1.5 out of 10 on the sketchy scale.

Not sure when you'll be in town, Mike, but be advised that Atwater is currently under construction and closed to pedestrians between Rivard and Orleans [[maybe St. Aubin?). As it is today, you would have to head a block north to Franklin, and then head west to Rivard to access the Riverfront.

I have wanted to see the Dequindre Cut . But I will have to do that when I am in Detroit to explore Detroit. Due to having to catch the train, I don't have much time.

[QUOTE=kryptonite;145123]Miketoronto, I have walked all over downtown over the years, but not on the Riverwalk much yet. I think if you use some common street sense, such as not dressing too well, being aware of what is going on around you, and not engaging in conversation with homeless and other suspicious types that approach you, you should be fine. LOSE them, they are panhandlers and addicts. Basically, these are things that are a good idea to practice when walking in most US cities.

The riverwalk is probably the safest of places to walk. For a little change a panhandler or even the dreaded evil addict will probably tell you anything you need to know about whats going on in the area, they know the city better than anyone and they would be complete idiots to try anything illegal on the riverwalk. Of course use your head though, above all use your instinct. Most Detroiters know instinctualy whos bad/who not to talk to, you know that feeling. Use the force man.

I hope you can make time to check out the Cut, it should only be a 20 minute detour as its not that long yet. It has some great spray work down there. That area isnt so guarded though, Im not sure if the emergency phones have even been hooked up yet.

From the Omni: Your mostly walking down Atwater street because yes most of the river walk is not continuous yet. At 9am you have to watch out for scores of locals biking, jogging, or walking their dogs. Be careful

Mike:

If you have trouble on the Riverwalk, just call 911....DPD will be there in a day or two. If you can't wait that long, keep your candy ass in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatsworking View Post
    Not sure when you'll be in town, Mike, but be advised that Atwater is currently under construction and closed to pedestrians between Rivard and Orleans [[maybe St. Aubin?). As it is today, you would have to head a block north to Franklin, and then head west to Rivard to access the Riverfront.
    At this stretch [[between Rivard and Orleans) you would already be walking through the state park and on the riverwalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I usually only get to the river to start killing and robbing by about 9 a.m. So you should have some time before I get there.

I am planning to stay at the Omni Hotel on the Riverfront East, and instead of taking the bus downtown, my friend and I were thinking of walking the Riverwalk to the Ren Cen.
    I noticed on maps that some sections don't seem to be finnished. Do you guys think it is good though to walk in the morning on a weekday into downtown via the Riverwalk? It should not take more than 25 minutes I am hoping. And in terms of safety would you guys say it is o.k.?
    Hi MikeToronto1,

Just wondering if you made the trip, and if so what you thought of the Riverwalk. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast