Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Movies to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, I gave it a try, Jim, but the dialogue was so hard to understand I had to give it up. When I watch normal TV I usually always have the closed captioning on, because my old ears just don't hear crickets chirp much any more.

Old age can be a blessing, but it can also be a bitch.

But thanks for the links, anyway.
    You're most welcome, Ray.

That's a shame. If the CCTV data is available, they should display it on computers as well as TV. I think I'll suggest that to YouTube.

[QUOTE=Jimaz;254700]In celebration of the promotion of this thread to Detroit Connections, I offer this top-quality film as evidence of the possibility of reconciliation between reason and faith. It's also a great murder mystery!

The Name of the Rose

Some reconciliation. Doesn't the end of the movie feature the burning of heretics?

"The Sweet Hereafter" - Following a tragic school bus accident, people must decide how they will respond.

That movie was just amazing. I love the Tragically HIp song they use through it, Courage. Great stuff.

"Liam" - a little boy grows up during the thirties in Liverpool. It's a sad tale made even sadder by all the scenes in his catholic school where he appears to learn only about how sinful he is and hell.

Anyone know of any good sights to get free movies on. They shut down a few big ones a few months ago and I havent found any good new ones. Im looking to see The Lincoln Lawyer. Looks like good dirty guilty fun.

Hulu seems to be up and running still.

YouTube has feature-length movies too. After clicking on a genre you can filter out the pay movies.

Comcast has been pushing something called Xfinity lately. You can filter out the subscription-only movies.

Good question. Any more?

I saw "the Lincoln Lawyer" at the $1.50 show at Universal Mall. It was very good with complex characters and a twisting plot.

"The Jacket" with A. Brody, K. Kristofferson, J.Jason Leigh A military vet is put into an institute for the criminally insane where he undergoes isolation therapy which gets him unstuck in time.

I'm quoting from a article that's at least two years old. But where are these movie's now?

These were supposed to have been made by this time.

And why do we have to repeat something that's already been done?

Dirty Dozen [[2012)
    The Birds [[2011)
    Logan's Run [[2012)
    Fahrenheit 451 [[2012)
    Creature from the Black Lagoon [[2011)
    Poltergeist [[2011)
    Straw Dogs [[2011)
    Total Recall [[2011)
    Yellow Submarine [[2012)
    They Live [[2011)

I don't claim to know the ways of Hollywood - but WTF?

In the past week I saw two poignant films with Apartheid themes, one on South African, one on American. Both are based on real events.

“Skin” is about an Afrikaner [Dutch-descended South African] couple who give birth to arguably colored children [Apartheid era term for people of mixed African and European descent as opposed to 'African' or pure African descent], the sad complications that result and brilliantly play by Sophie Okonedo. http://www.skinthemovie.net/site/

Over the weekend I saw “The Help” a recently released film about the disturbing relationship between Afro-American house maids in pre-civil rights Mississippi and their Euro-American house wife employers. http://thehelpmovie.com/us/

Watched that Black Swan, and was left wanting to leap into a real-life version of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to erase that 2-hour stain on my memory.

A month or so ago, I made a wee unplanned detour to Jordi's Cafe Con Leche to pick up some coffee for the road. An energetic young fellow was hovering around the customer side of the counter, wearing a snappy hat and a huge smile. I wasn't in any particular mood to chat [[pre-caffeine blahs and blues) but engaged him anyways. He offered to buy my coffee that morning, and a donut.

Turns out he was directly promoting the movie The Adjustment Bureau, a Matt Damon flick that apparently went directly to DVD/BluRay. I grabbed a hat and a poster, in addition to the quad-shot of espresso and monster brownie that keeps me coming down to see Jordi...went on my way, and basically forgot the whole deal.

Then, last week my honey and I were perusing the Grosse Pointe Park Public Library for things to watch...and they had this disc. After reading the back of the box, I was intrigued...and we watched it that night.

I think The Adjustment Bureau is another refinement on the concept of the Matrix, only the agents are not bad dudes...and they work for some unseen Chairman, who continually re-writes each individual's destiny based upon their free will choices throughout life. Oddly, though, those in the lower ranks of the Bureau consider those destinies as finite, not mutable. It was a curious attempt at explaining some complex theological and philosophical concepts. I loved it...add this to the ever-increasing list of Philip K. Dick stories brought to the big screen relatively well.

Cheers!

Henry Poole is Here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUsv_dDqX6U

When a man discovers that he has only six weeks to live, he leaves his job, his fiancee and his overbearing mother and tries to spend his remaining days in seclusion. But when a miracle transforms his life, his quirky neighbors disrupt his plan to live out his days in quiet desperation.

I really enjoyed this movie . It's funny and brings back hope to you soul.....

Quote Originally Posted by stipes View Post
    Henry Poole is Here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUsv_dDqX6U

When a man discovers that he has only six weeks to live, he leaves his job, his fiancee and his overbearing mother and tries to spend his remaining days in seclusion. But when a miracle transforms his life, his quirky neighbors disrupt his plan to live out his days in quiet desperation.

I really enjoyed this movie . It's funny and brings back hope to you soul.....
    The trailer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf97fnD3ed0

If you're a fan of silent films like me, try watching the 1925 version of Ben-Hur, starring Ramon Navarro, Francis X. Bushman. May McAvoy, and Betty Bronson; directed by Fred Niblo - The racing chariot scene is so much more exciting than the 1959 version of the movie starring Charlton Heston -

If you've never watched a silent, give it a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised - It took so much skill to get the point across just using pantomime, body language, facial expressions, and title cards - I've been a fan of silents since I was a little kid, and no, I am not old enough to have seen them first-run in a movie theater! - But, if you ever get a chance to see a silent in a movie theater accompanied by live music, it's an experience you'll never forget - I saw the restored version of Abel Gance's Napoleon [[1927) at Ford Auditorium in about 1981 - It had hand-colored, tinted frames in segments of the film, and was accompanied by Carmine Coppola [[Frances Ford Coppola's father), conducting the Columbus Symphony Orchestra, playing the film's soundtrack.

Also, try The Big Parade [[1925) starring John Gilbert, Renée Adorée, and Hobart Bosworth, directed by King Vidor - It tells the story of an idle rich boy who joins the US Army's Rainbow Division; is sent to France to fight in WWI, becomes friends with two working class men, experiences the horrors of trench warfare, and finds love with a French girl. The film was groundbreaking for not glorifying the war or its human costs, exemplified by the lead character's loss of a leg from battle wounds. It heavily influenced all subsequent war films, especially All Quiet on the Western Front [[1930). - [[The Big Parade description taken from Wikipedia).

Both of these movies can be found on www.archive.org under moving images, but I'll try to get a link up for them both to make it more convenient.

I couldn't find either of the two movies mentioned above [[they could've been removed), but here's a link to a Buster Keaton comedy called One Week [[1920), starring Keaton, Sybil Seely, Joe Roberts, and Lon Chaney [[my favorite silent actor) - Keaton considered this short film to be the first film he ever produced solely on his own - It's funny and charming: http://www.archive.org/details/OneWeek
    Last edited by Jingles in Boofland; September-23-11 at 02:36 PM.

Maybe or maybe not has this been mentioned here. Try this for free movies and cartoons, and your Grateful Dead concert, the first to let it go digital. Thank you.

http://www.archive.org/
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-23-11 at 06:11 PM.

You beat me to it Jingles in Boofland, My nod goes to you. "Been there done that".

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    You beat me to it Jingles in Boofland, My nod goes to you. "Been there done that".
    And why am I replying with that name? Go figure again.

Great link to the Grateful Dead shows BigB. I found my very first show at Crisler.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd198...1.sbeok.flac16

Breakfast of Champions

City of Lost Children

The Adventures of Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Great link to the Grateful Dead shows BigB. I found my very first show at Crisler.

I'm just an old school guy myself. I can live just off the tuneups on there. Cactus, Grateful Dead, and James Gang. Lay me to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post

I'm just an old school guy myself. I can live just off the tuneups on there. Cactus, Grateful Dead, and James Gang. Lay me to rest.

Blues for Mr. Day - Cactus
    Farmer John - The Tital Waves
    Psychedelic Used Car Lot blues. Southbound Freedom
    Leaving Here - The Rationals

I wish I had a way to push my old music over to you Django.

[QUOTE=Bigb23;274656]I'm just an old school guy myself. I can live just off the tuneups on there. Cactus, Grateful Dead, and James Gang. Lay me to rest.

Blues for Mr. Day - Cactus
    Farmer John - The Tital [[sic)Waves
    Psychedelic Used Car Lot blues. Southbound Freedom
    Leaving Here - The Rationals

I wish I had a way to push my old music over to you Django.
    I also forgot Tim Tams and the Turn Ons -
    Wait a minute, here she comes
    . All local bands.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-26-11 at 07:50 AM.

Sorry for the repeat, I'll try not to drink alcohol in the future - not. It's cold, rainy, and gray out here. And I have a hard drive full of old Seger, Mitch Ryder, and Rational tunes, Hmmmm.

Naw - hook up the speakers, and drive the young lady next door, nuts. Sounds good to me.
    Last edited by Bigb23; September-26-11 at 08:12 AM.

Just a heads up, that "Alice's Restaurant" is on WDIV 4.2 at noon today. Loved the song - the movie is even better.

Wings of Desire

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast