Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Movies to watch

We just saw "Charlie Chan at the Olympics". Yes, you got a Swedish man playing an Asian, but there were somethings that surprised me about this film. It was about radio controlled planes. At one point Chan tells his one son "That wouldn't it be great if all wars were fought by machines and not men?" This was before Werner Von Braun and his V-2 rockets and long before the drones we got now.

The movie showed the Hindenburg that Chan takes [[movie was released right after the crash). Also, it shows Jesse Owens in a relay race. Right now that "Race" movie is in the theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Now&then View Post
    We just saw "Charlie Chan at the Olympics"....
    In case others want to watch it [[1 hour 11 minutes): Charlie Chan - At The Olympics

Again my attractions to animated things brought me back around to something I over looked before. The movie Coraline made many references to Michigan and Detroit [[Including a Detroit Zoo snow-globe?). Here's an archive thread.http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1235420899 I remember one of the few cute thrills thrown at me in the Boston area [[along with the buskers) was riding the subway and being on an occasional Red Line car that had a hologram projector attached to it from some promotions department; if you looked out the window an odd ghostly ad for Coraline would show cryptic snippets of the film with title on the walls of the tunnels you went through.

I'm surprised no one alarmed the animated promotional as some kind of "bomb". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_B...ooninite_panic

The whole "button-eyed" symbolism attached itself in my mind as a way I saw how the homeless were routed and hedged [[one way or another eventually) into dual-diagnosis disability and being medicated from off-commercial companies [[if not Novartis) around the Cambridgeport area of M.I.T. [[who serve the military-industrial complex quite well). Concocting such poetic applications of abstract thinking is what helped keep me sane [[that and treating my photo-taking excursions and scavenger hunts like they were a deliberate voodoo ceremony) and get some transcending handle on things [[I also made-up personal stories about horses, green cats, and Mobius strips-for Boston seemed like one big dripping soused and medicated well filled with many ensnaring Mobius strips and petty, materialistic crab-like creatures. No serious delusions, just creative whims to occupy and exercise an active mind through trying times.). Boston was a place of culture and things [[but at what price?-the price of one's very own soul, that the very reductive-minded residents there would deny they even possessed. Similar was the Neverending Story installment that had a kid losing his memories with every materialistic wish he made), but I learned people and how you relate to them matter much, much more.

Truly I was glad to free myself from such a well of Mobius strips with a collection of photographs to serve as souvenirs.

Also, there was a Amazing World of Gumball episode that featured Gumball and Darwin trying to help some maudlin teen who doesn't want to have to "move back to Detroit"http://theamazingworldofgumball.wiki...i/Clare_Cooper. I think the cartoon, as a whole, is very creative and uses characters much the way I had wanted [[basically ripping off Robert Williams' Coochy Cooty realm) in my projects. It's slightly subversive and captures some creative handle on patterns of logic or philosophy in life while ripping off a lot from the Simpsons [[but than again, who doesn't http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/the-simp...le-swap-fanart)but since it is for kids, it has to be very shrill with lots of screaming.

D'oh! Derf Snuh Guh G'duh!

I meant to post these last two posts under the "Detroit references in Movies & T.V." thread. Kind of sleepwalked into this thread. Oh, well, at least I can say Coraline was a good movie [[one of the few to come out in the last 16 years) worth seeing.

Thanks to a gag reply someone posted to some technical difficulties, my mind has been buzzing all last night rehashing something I came across when I was in Champaign/Urbana over 4 years ago. Not only is the town strange and arid [[big drought during that time, the whole prairie area was ablaze with heat that lingering well after the sun went down, and everywhere I went the grass was dry and yellow. I remember one Meijer's there evacuated everyone because a cooler in the back caught fire.).

I did encounter a few really irrationally paranoid acting persons there. All through central Illinois one could see beacons of blinking radio towers in the shadowy hilly or tree-lined distance [[kind of cool looking when alone late at night on the road), and tower-like art popped up around the campus area. Also, Roger Ebert was a big thing around there. I came across a discarded film student magazine that talked about this film.

So far, I think it's better than any M. Night Shyamalan film I've seen yet, and it cuts a real distinct "American Gothic" portrayal.

Somehow, I believe there is a very good reason I bring this movie up around this time, but I'm still figuring out why....

For those that have Netflix, I have just finished watching almost 18 hours of "Penny Dreadful", set in 1890's London.
    The writing, characters, acting, and production values are through the roof !
    I have avoided almost all paranormal, vampire, monster, witch and slasher movies for the past three years for many reasons, but this movie has all that and more. But sparingly. And I felt comfortable with watching it, because their recreation of Victorian England was beyond reproach.

Highly recommended !

[[Five Ohhh-Ohhh faces)
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-07-16 at 01:46 AM.

There is a piss perfect upload of the whole movie, Zulu [[1964) in hi-def, 70mm on YouTube right now.

I saw the original at either the Madison or Fox when it first came out, and this version is far, far, Superior on your home big screen.

Try it at Dagobertdick [[search, don't ask). My favorite true to life war movie of all time. 99.9% accurate in it's portrayal.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-17-16 at 10:11 AM.

How can they do high end definition on 1960's optical crap ? This brings in modern computers.

More power to ya.

Zulu [[1964) - Full Movie [HD]

Thanks. I watched the whole thing.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-17-16 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

The best movie ever made. And thanks for the link, that name was a little creepy.

Michael Caine was not even considered for the role, as a cockney could not portray an elite.
    The director went to bat for the guy. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

I tried Haka vs Zulu vs Step with no results.

At 9 yrs. old this was Natiional Geographic raised to a high breast level. Been there ever since.

But mainly Butt. You know who you are.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-18-16 at 04:31 AM.

I'm just about finished with Netflix when they have no idea of what Entertainment Is .
    Please, no gore, no 32 langauges with subtitles , no Korean soap operas.

I can't find anything anymore.

Have seen almost every Charlie Chan film at this point, now. Having nice collection of bricks does not necessarily make one richer man.

....anyway, Sullivan's Travels was on TCM tonight, and it is worth watching again. It clearly influenced the Coen Bros. on a few things. I personally identify with it greatly. I always felt the scene of an African American church allowing convicts on a chain gang to come in and watch some Disney cartoons to cheer them up was a great scene [[and to see the lead role find himself so deprived that he laughs at something he would've taken for granted many months earlier in a more comfortable and jaded setting says something for sure), and the TCM commentator made sure to tell us the makers of the film got some praise from the NAACP for that scene.

Hitchcock - zombie birds - 1962 - nuff said.

Anyone who's seen Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them? I haven't seen it yet.

On Netflix right now is a great short TV series called GirlBoss.
    This is one of the most thoroghly entertaining things I've seen on there for quite some time.Funny, smart, [[she swears like a sailor) and loved the characters.Well worth the watch.

That said, there are too many movies on there [[Netflix), that are foreign language films where I'm reading the script [[subtitiles), instead of watching the damn movie. And I do watch a lot of American movies with sub titles just to get past the whispering and mumbling and fast talk that pertains to the plot. I'm probably missing a lot of good movies, but I tend to skip the subtitle only ones.

And Hollwood has gotten lazy with less plotlines and more gore and gunfire to fill an hour and twenty minutes. How many films were pitched that involved three college couples in a remote cabin getaway, that were killed one by one by a Psycho Farmer, Scarecrow, Alien, Werewolf, Hobos, and other teens, Etc. Etc. Etc. ? [[10,000 + on Netflix Now)

These people get RICH off of this drivel ? I guess you have to play to a demographic, Kids just out of the booger and fart joke phase.

Nuff'said.

No,

And , I'm going to miss Gannon – A smart if unusual man. I live in a senior apartment complex where death comes almost once a month.
    So I deal with it in my own way. Sorry for the delay.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-22-17 at 11:05 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5