Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Movies to watch

Default Movies to watch

I recently watched "The Big Kahuna" starring Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito. It's about three salesmen in search of the big account who end up waxing philosophical.

I also watched an Israeli film on cable called "Jellyfish". It hasssssss a coule story lines around the theme of saving someone, I think. It was very surrealistic.

'Kick Ass' based on the very graphic and well written Marvel comic book....

I tend to stay away from mainstream movies, preferring documentaries, foriegn films and assorted art house alternatives..the indie films that show at the Detroit Film theatre and the Main Art theatre in Royal Oak...plan on checking out the Burton theatre on Cass.

All I care about are the "Glengary" leads, as it relates to my profession.

P.S. Coffee is for CLOSERS!!!

"Never Cry Wolf". A great fact-based story of a man's time studying the wolves of Canada. Funny and moving.

Last edited by gazhekwe; May-23-10 at 11:51 AM.

"To Live"

While we're doing previews of favorites movies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oWWG9YmpuI

I like really F'd up movies....

Donnie Darko
    Dancer in the dark
    Requiem for a dream

and the really offbeat
    Memento
    The Machinist
    Shadow of the Vampire
    Planet Terror

Classics
    Young Frankenstein
    High Anxiety
    The Birds

The Road

Boondock Saints

They ruined Boondock Saints 2.

Two twisted movies:

Irreversible
    The Collector

Here's a horror movie everyone should watch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHRXGQhpib8

Tim Robbins's "Cradle Will Rock". It is set around the true Depression story of the prolabor musical 'The Cradle Will Rock" by Marc Blitzstein that was closed down. It also follows the lives of a young girl singing on the streets for pennies, the steel magnate and his liberal wife [[Vanessa Redgrave), a vaudeville ventriloquist, and also includes Diego Rivera's mural in Rockefeller Center that had to come down, Hallie Flanagan who ran the Federal Theatre Project, and the stormy relationship between John Huston and Orson Welles. It shows songs and the final scenes from the musical and how they performed it when the actors were forbidden to step onstage. The most telling scene in my opinion is the conversation among various rich people which concluded that abstract paintings should be encouraged because they have no message.

Experiment in Terror, with Glenn Ford, Lee Remick, Stepanie Powers, and that ever wheezing culprit, Ross Martin, as Red...... I loved this movie as a kid and love it now........

one of the best Blake Edwards movies to come out from 1962. The opening scene in the garage is riveting and Ross does a great job in scaring Lee and the audience..........

Wonderful horror movie with lots of twists and turns............and best of all, you can watch it for free from Crackle........

here it is, if you can, at least watch the first 5 mins, youll love the views of San Francisco, as well as her vintage 58 Fold Convertible and that incredible Henry Mancini music..........

you ll be hooked..................Jane

here is the link.............http://www.crackle.com/c/Experiment_...Terror/2481319

"Zoot Suit" based on a 1942 Chicano murder case in California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMoXvC0qinU

Not a pedophile Woody Allen fan. I just won't watch anything directed, produced or has him starring in it.

The new Air Bender movie had awesome special effects but the acting was terrible.

The new Twilight film was probably the best of the 3 that have been released so far, but you won't see me wearing a Team Jacob or Team Edward T-shirt anytime soon.

"Delovely" - the life of Cole Porter starring Kevin Kline and featuring a host of great singers, most of them European, performing his great music. The one sour note is the horrible arrangement or rather derangement of "Begin the Beguine".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4zFI-eQdo

I just watched "Water" which is set in India at the time of Ghandi. It is a romance between a young progressive law student and a young widow and also involves the life of a seven-year-old widow when she is brought to a widows' house to live for the rest of her life. It brings to light the treatment of widows and how it is bound up with religious tradition.

"The Invention of Lying" very funny, a world where no one can lie and everyone could use some self-deception.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-H2dNfx-Uw

At the end of the movie, what is he whispering into the old people's ears? lol
    Last edited by maxx; July-24-10 at 08:23 AM.

"Lars and the Real Girl" This is one of those movies every kid in high school should watch. It deals with existential issues and shows a community's compassion and just plain decency in the face of seeming bizarre behavior.

I liked the recently released "The Fighter" with oscar winning actors Melissa Leo and Christian Bale.
    Both of them were indeed remarkable players.

Just saw The Devil-freaky-scary with a twist ending, also saw The Town-great flick, with great acting

Christian Bale was outstanding in "The Fighter".

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Christian Bale was outstanding in "The Fighter".
    Yeah, it was nice hearing him talk with an english accent at the Oscars and realize how good a job he did on that picture. Totally believable character for Melissa Leo too. When I saw the preview with her performance, I went straightaway.
    I decided to go see the picture with my 12 year old boy [[G-rated) and he liked it too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast